PDA

View Full Version : Firewall 4 Win Xp Home

spelunker121
01-28-2004, 02:06 AM
Hi Board!

A quick question......If I am looking at my network connections in Windows Xp
and my network card is firewalled.....(using dsl for internet)........Is additional software needed to be safe from f#ckheads trying to hack my computer???

Kind of a dumb question....but hey, If I dont ask....I dont know.

Thanx in advance

NightStalker
01-28-2004, 02:11 AM
A software firewall isn't "requried" but I would recommend you install one just in case.. ;)

Mik3ll
01-28-2004, 02:18 AM
I would disable the XP firewall, then install either ZoneAlarm (most popular) or Sygate (favored on this board)

Aaron_T
01-28-2004, 02:51 PM
i would purchase a proper firewall from a shop, because i downloaded Zonealarm and it corrupted my registry so bad i needed to reinstall then i downloaded Norton Personal firewall 2004 from BT and it didnt go in properly with my real version of norton antivirus.

all im sayin is if youre gonna get a firewall buy it from a shop where you know it's not a crappy copied or corrupted one.

dont use the XP firewall i heard bad things about it, but make sure if you do get a new one to disable the XP one first :)

so basically when it comes to protecting your PC paying money is the best thing to do :)

supersonic
01-28-2004, 05:02 PM
dude, I recommed u use sygate personal firewall PRO. Download it from their website and use a sn 4rm k-lite and it will block many atttacks. There are many attacks that the xp firewall does not detect. ZA sucked for me. What works for me might not work for ohers.

djchris
01-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Azzz@28 January 2004 - 14:51
dont use the XP firewall i heard bad things about it, but make sure if you do get a new one to disable the XP one first :)
bad things??? like what? :blink:

jobauer
01-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi guys ...

Just a quick (stupid ?) question :

Originally posted by Mik3ll@28 January 2004 - 02:18
I would disable the XP firewall, then install either ZoneAlarm (most popular) or Sygate (favored on this board)

I am currently running both XP Firewall AND PC-Cillin Firewall. So, I should disable XP, and just go with PC-Cillin ?

What happens if you run both ?

I dunno, just wanted to ask :)

shn
01-29-2004, 05:29 AM
Its no use running both. Just like it does not make sense to have a router and software firewall.

Running two software firewalls will only cause complications and waste up system resources.

Its a pc...............not a bank vault. :P

jobauer
01-29-2004, 05:55 AM
All Right, thanks. I just thought it couldn't harm running both...

Anyway, I'll run only PC-Cillin from now on.

Its a pc...............not a bank vault.  :P

:D
I am aware of this sad reality... If only I did get some cash every time I use my pc.... I'd be playing and surfing like a big grinning millionaire :lol:

shn
01-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by jobauer@28 January 2004 - 23:55
All Right, thanks. I just thought it couldn't harm running both...

Anyway, I'll run only PC-Cillin from now on.

Its a pc...............not a bank vault.  :P

:D
I am aware of this sad reality... If only I did get some cash every time I use my pc.... I'd be playing and surfing like a big grinning millionaire :lol:
Ya...........me too. :lol:

spelunker121
02-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Hey thanx for the info gang....I really appreciate the replies. I used to have zone alarm and it worked great....I guess I willl get a software firewall,cus your replies are making me nervous about the effectivness of the "XP"firewall.

Additionally, what IS wrong with the XP firewall????????

I look forward to your awsome replies. :D

DWk
02-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Look - it doesn't matter if you have a firewall, an antivirus, or nothing at all.

What matters is HOW you do your shit (surf, download, etc.). If you do it responsibly.

I use XP Firewall and haven't had any problems all the time I've had XP.

spelunker121
02-01-2004, 06:43 PM
I was just thinking....( I know dont hurt myself) has there been any known conflict between antivirus software and firewall software??????

I have been considering geting Zone alarm....but dont know what to expect with running "Norton A/V 2002" Does anyone have any advice????

WOX
02-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Ok this may sound stupid but how do i uninstall the xp firewall.

DWk
02-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by WOX@1 February 2004 - 13:34
Ok this may sound stupid but how do i uninstall the xp firewall.
Now that is something you can't uninstall. You can just disable it.

WOX
02-01-2004, 11:27 PM
well then how do i disable.

luckydog
02-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Hi, I have windows xp pro and have the windows firewall turned on. I did a test using Norton to check the strength/safety of the firewall and there results were that it is safe and stopping any problems.... I would recommend leaving it on, Mircrosoft would surely not add such an important tool to their product that would endager it ???

WOX
02-02-2004, 12:00 AM
well but how do i turned off.

ricochet
02-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Start, control panel, network connections, Right click on local area connections, left click Properites,left click on advanced, uncheck box that says ( protect my computer ect. ) clicl ok,,, Thata all...