PDA

View Full Version : Uploading

gill11
01-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Why is it that a file that it took me a number of hours to download is suddenly uploaded from my shared folder in a matter of an hour or so. I have watched this more than once. I have cable but they must have something else.

guit_steel
01-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Or you dl'd from someone with a smaller ul limit than u have. Since ul limits r smaller than dl limits, this is usually where the bottleneck forms. ;)

Switeck
01-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Even if the person(s) you downloaded a file from has a connection IDENTICAL to yours, they may be uploading to far more people at once.

30 KB/sec upload bandwidth is pretty good for a broadband connection, and fortunately getting more common every day. If someone with such a link has 10 uploads at once, the average upload speed will be less than 3 KB/sec. But if they only have 5 uploads, then the average upload speed may be close to 6 KB/sec.

If you have very few uploads at all -- even only 1 going at a time, then you might be sending file/s out to individuals at 10+ KB/sec.

There are many who think disabling sharing or setting upload speed VERY low (like 3 KB/sec on a broadband connection) makes their downloads the fastest. This is technically true in a sense... but not if everyone does it. :(

guit_steel
01-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Switeck@29 January 2004 - 01:55
There are many who think disabling sharing or setting upload speed VERY low (like 3 KB/sec on a broadband connection) makes their downloads the fastest. This is technically true in a sense... but not if everyone does it. :(
Maybe it's just me, but I've never noticed a significant difference in dl speeds as long as I've set my ul limit to 80% — even compared to disabling ul. Considering this, there's no reason to set ur ul limit to 3k on a broadband connect unless ur just a greedy leech. Gotta agree with Switek on this count.

ck-uk
01-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by guit_steel+30 January 2004 - 15:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (guit_steel @ 30 January 2004 - 15:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@29 January 2004 - 01:55
Maybe it&#39;s just me, but I&#39;ve never noticed a significant difference in dl speeds as long as I&#39;ve set my ul limit to 80% — even compared to disabling ul. Considering this, there&#39;s no reason to set ur ul limit to 3k on a broadband connect unless ur just a greedy leech. Gotta agree with Switek on this count. [/b][/quote]
Cos alot of dickheads dont understand.Half limit thinking it&#39;ll come of there download speed somehow.The rest r just leechin&#39; ****ers :)