PDA

View Full Version : Codecs, How Does It Work?

ab01
01-29-2004, 03:21 PM
I had problems using the AVI preview option. In this forum i found out, where to download the codecs needed. But how does it work?

oldjagman
01-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Codecs - download 'em (Nimo codec pack from Divx Digest is my preference)

- install 'em (read any readme's and other instructions first)

- play 'em!

ab01
01-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Will that help? The problem is this: I cant use the AVI-preview in K-Lite on all the downloads. Files i progress of downloading.

oldjagman
01-29-2004, 03:53 PM
AVI preview needs approx 500 ks of data downloaded to work. Even then it may not if you don't have a completed "chunk" (check in KDat advanced tab for this info).

Another problem arises with *.mpg files, which will play in AVIpreview but generally need much more data downloaded and then may only play in fits and starts.

MUSLEMAN
01-30-2004, 05:36 AM
if i where you i would get the klite codec pack full version which is better than nemo,

and i would preview my files with videolan

Java Boy
01-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Go with VideoLAN as a previewer :) , but theres no need to install one of those bloated Codec Packages <_< ...Just download the individual codecs that youll need rather than clogging up your system with un-neccessary codecs etc :lol:

oldjagman
02-07-2004, 05:35 AM
I think its a case of suck it and see - VideoLan create indigestion in my system and KLite codecs gave it heartburn. I stand by Nimo as a good basis and think Java Boy has a good point because I supplement it with direct downloads of the latest of the popular codecs - Xvid, Divx5 Pro etc.

MUSLEMAN
02-07-2004, 08:36 AM
if you don&#39;t understand the package then don&#39;t call it bloated <_< it has alot of handy tools and codecs.

and if there is something wrong with yoru system don&#39;t blame the software <_<

where is mine and all the other people that use videolan and klite codec pack?? sounds like an isolated problem :lol: