PDA

View Full Version : Protowall Is Here!

cosmic doobie
01-29-2004, 06:23 PM
PROTOWALL

Ideal for P2P Users

Here is another app like peerguardian that will block all traffic to and from your machine. Protowall is hands down 100% better, faster, and completely less of a system hog than peerguardian.

It can only be installed on windows 2000,xp and 2003 server. Sorry win9x folks, you are stuck with peerguardian

Download And Support HERE (http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums)

YOU MUST REGISTER TO GET TECHNICAL SUPPORT!!!

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/uploads/post-18-1075380539.jpg

Money Fist
01-29-2004, 06:54 PM
i want it bad

but the link wont work for me

also yahoo comes up with 4 results on it :blink:

Lite
01-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Link (http://bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php)

Thats the fixed link

BTW protowall is NOT for n00bs! i have been a tester for a while now and the driver install although very easy isnt for n00bs... sorry!

Java Boy
01-29-2004, 07:14 PM
heres a working link and a bit more info than the original poster supplied us with...

What is ProtoWall

ProtoWall is a new IP blocking program that will Block all connections made by tcp-ip/Udp/icmp/IGMP and raw ip.
It is driver based,so it will Block the packets that are sent Before than most firewall's will ever see it.

ProtoWall was made by DUDEZ before Peerguardian was adjusted to use less ram and cpu,it was not made to hurt Peerguardian,
but to offer more protection to people that don't have the computer power the run Peerguardian.

ProtoWall is availably for windows xp,2000 and 2003 server,as with the driver that it needs to install it will not work on windows 9x or me
(sorry guys)

ProtoWall will log all connections to your machine in and out and offer the direction of the traffic,so that you can better see what is going on
while you are online,as in the log you can see the port,direction the traffic is going and the type of traffic that it is.

ProtoWall is Fully supported by The Blocklist Manager,as it will allow for import and export of the ip filter files and it will import log files
from ProtoWall to get more information from the logs

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=674

cosmic doobie
01-29-2004, 09:46 PM
:frusty:

Sorry guys and gals - I was so knocked out with this application I goofed the URL.
Thanks evryone for covering my arse :smilie4:

StyleWarz
01-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Gonna try it out... Thanks a lot!!! :)

sharedholder
01-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Already posted in my site. ;)

junkyardking
01-30-2004, 12:06 AM
I suggest if you have a slower computer to turn of both the video and log to disk logging for granted packets, i turned on overnet while the granted packet logging was on and it was using 40% usage.

NightStalker
01-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by sharedholder@29 January 2004 - 17:05
And? :blink:

supersonic
01-30-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by NightStalker+30 January 2004 - 06:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NightStalker @ 30 January 2004 - 06:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sharedholder@29 January 2004 - 17:05
And? :blink: [/b][/quote]
Peace on earth & good will to all.
Nothing&#33;&#33;&#33;

vietguy
01-30-2004, 07:58 AM
is it ok if i loaded ip table for protowall by peerguardian? because i couldn&#39;t find the "ew" folder. i&#39;m using winxp

Samurai
01-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Honestly, does this program really work? I don&#39;t want to d/l another app on my PC to find it&#39;s doing nothing but collecting digital dust.

Is the program updated regularly with new IP&#39;s?

Samurai :ph34r:

Samurai
01-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Anyone???

junkyardking
01-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Samurai@30 January 2004 - 08:22
Honestly, does this program really work? I don&#39;t want to d/l another app on my PC to find it&#39;s doing nothing but collecting digital dust.

Is the program updated regularly with new IP&#39;s?

Samurai :ph34r:
Yes it does work. you just use the peerguardian list which is updated.

Samurai
01-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Thank You junkyardking

junkyardking
01-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by vietguy@30 January 2004 - 07:58
is it ok if i loaded ip table for protowall by peerguardian? because i couldn&#39;t find the "ew" folder.&nbsp; i&#39;m using winxp
The name in the guide ewall is an old one just go into
Dudez>protowall>xp driver, and load that file, the driver is seperate from the peerguardian list if you dont install it it wont work.

The program already has the peerguardian file located in it.

vietguy
01-30-2004, 05:40 PM
there&#39;s no ip update feature in protowall, so how can i update the ip table?

cosmic doobie
01-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by vietguy@30 January 2004 - 16:40
there&#39;s no ip update feature in protowall, so how can i update the ip table?
:D Simple my Man&#33;

Go HERE (http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums)and download the BLOCK LIST MANAGER &#33;
Works a treat&#33;

Java Boy
01-30-2004, 10:01 PM
So far it hasnt blocked anything,that my firewall doesnt normally block,
so I cant say this is the super wonder program that many people on other forums have made this out to be..
If you know how to configure expert rules and you use the block bad ips etc you dont need this program

Lite
02-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Java Boy@30 January 2004 - 22:01
so I cant say this is the super wonder program that many people on other forums have made this out to be..
If you know how to configure expert rules and you use the block bad ips etc you dont need this program
So your firewall blocks the attempts BEFORE they are made? I dont think so :rolleyes:

Switeck
02-02-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Lite+1 February 2004 - 13:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lite @ 1 February 2004 - 13:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Java Boy@30 January 2004 - 22:01
So far it hasnt blocked anything,that my firewall doesnt normally block,So your firewall blocks the attempts BEFORE they are made? I dont think so :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
I think he means that this won&#39;t block anything his firewall CAN&#39;T or DOESN&#39;T block -- not that the connections are blocked before they are attempted.

However, KL++&#39;s ip blocklist DOES block outgoing connections before they&#39;re attempted -- because it can compair where it &#39;wants&#39; to connect to with the blocklist before making it. This is why internal blocklists for internet programs can often be better than a separate firewall solution.

Lite
02-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Infact Klk++&#39;s blocklist, blocks connections while they are being made

fkdup74
02-02-2004, 07:10 PM
errr.......mmmm.......ok, gotta go with java on this........
what the feck does protowall do that a firewall wont? :unsure:

blocklist manager + sygate is workin fine for me......

So your firewall blocks the attempts BEFORE they are made? I dont think so&nbsp;

and yeah, sygate blocks both incoming and out going ;)

Switeck
02-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Lite@2 February 2004 - 12:43
Infact Klk++&#39;s blocklist, blocks connections while they are being made
Crap. Sucks for me to be wrong here, because that means connections may not be stopped/broken by the blocklist until AFTER they&#39;re attempted/made/sent data. :(

So that means the blocklist method in KL++ is an overlay instead of integrated into the main program to prevent connections before they begin?

Java Boy
02-03-2004, 07:52 AM
I know this has nothing to do with Protowall
Does the kazaa lite blocklist mean you need to have kazaa running for it to work?
Will it work if I shutdown kazaa and browse the internet?

Java Boy
02-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Lite+1 February 2004 - 18:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lite &#064; 1 February 2004 - 18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Java Boy@30 January 2004 - 22:01
So your firewall blocks the attempts BEFORE they are made? I dont think so :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
I know I didnt word it correctly but a 5 year old can work out what I meant...Why cant you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lite
02-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Java Boy, you post offensive content everywhere - sort out your attitude&#33; IE, you called someone a n00b who asked a simple question and yet your a "n00b" yourself - niceone&#33; :rolleyes:

FKDUP74, no sygate blocks the connections while they are being made - not before&#33;

Switeck, the only thing that is gonna block a connection before its made is something that works at driver level - in this case Protowall

All, if you read up on programs like this you will find that programs that work at driver level are alot more effient than ones that work at software level

Switeck
02-06-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Lite@5 February 2004 - 13:55
Switeck, the only thing that is gonna block a connection before its made is something that works at driver level - in this case Protowall

All, if you read up on programs like this you will find that programs that work at driver level are alot more effient than ones that work at software level
At the driver level or run as a filter inside the program attempting the connections in the first place. If the program has an ip check before opening the connection it could be compaired with a blocklist and denied before the connection is opened.

In other words, ip blocking HAS to be a core piece of a program in order for it to prevent bad connections. Ip blocking as a separate program can only react to what the 1st program does. :(

I mistakenly thought Random Nut put the ip blocking into the overlay for Kazaa/KL++, thus allowing it to snoop on what Kazaa/KL++ was wanting to connect to before the connection was attempted.

Java Boy
02-06-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Lite@5 February 2004 - 18:55
Java Boy, you post offensive content everywhere - sort out your attitude&#33; IE, you called someone a n00b who asked a simple question and yet your a "n00b" yourself - niceone&#33; :rolleyes:

FKDUP74, no sygate blocks the connections while they are being made - not before&#33;

You never asked a question noob....
you TOLD me that my firewall blocks the attempts before the connections made...anyone in there right mind and isnt a noob could work out what I meant...Switchtek did so theres ya proof..Admittedly it was originally my mistake for not explaining to clearly for the noobs...IE you
As for posting offensive content everywhere..its because theres idiot noobs everywhere..i will try and tone it down , but at the end of the day, dont read if you dont like...its real easy, even for the noobs to understand :lol: :lol:

And is there any update why this program blocks ".edu"?

ultimatejester
02-07-2004, 03:59 AM
Sorry about this noob question.

So i installed the driver and i got the .p2p file from http://www.peerguardian.net/pgipdb/guarding.p2p. Is this right.

Btw, protowall already sent 2456 packets in 1 min. Is that ok. Why do i need block list manager

Thnx

NightStalker
02-07-2004, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by ultimatejester@6 February 2004 - 22:59
Sorry about this noob question.

So i installed the driver and i got the .p2p file from http://www.peerguardian.net/pgipdb/guarding.p2p. Is this right.

Btw, protowall already sent 2456 packets in 1 min. Is that ok. Why do i need block list manager

Thnx
To update "bad" IP&#39;s.

ultimatejester
02-07-2004, 04:07 AM
Where is the connections.log file.

Edit: I have already exported the blacklist to K-Lite and Emule but i cant seem to find the connection.log file which protowall uses.

Edit2:Nevermind. I found it.

Thnx.

Mystikan
02-09-2004, 05:33 AM
Peerguardian uses < 1% of my CPU capacity on an Athlon Thunderbird 1400 / 512MB RAM. Doesn&#39;t seem as inefficient as some ppl would have us believe.

Granted, Protowall may be more powerful in some ways and technically oriented, but most filesharers just want to get on with the business at hand and not have to spend hours configuring obscure settings. As has been said, Protowall is not for "n00bs". (I&#39;m not ignorant of how my system works, but you have to consider the mass market - most ppl don&#39;t have the knowledge or time to configure advanced IP and router settings, etc. And before anyone runs down uneducated users, just remember that MP3 you&#39;d been after for ages could well have been downloaded from one of them, so encourage them, don&#39;t mock them&#33; :D ) Peerguardian is intuitive, easy to use and does its job well. It&#39;s caught several attempts by ARIA (the Australian RIAA) as well as BSAA and a couple of law firms who tried to access my machine while running KLR, so it&#39;s working for me at least. I&#39;ll keep using it for now.

It is good to see alternatives appearing, though - the more of these blockers there are, the harder it will be for the copyright dictators to combat them all&#33; ;) And I like the way Protowall supports Peerguardian blocklists - we all need this kind of interchangeability if we are to be united in fighting the tyrants&#33;

Incidentally, I wonder how long it will be before the RIAA tries to ban this kind of blocking software? Its primary (and publicised) use is to evade detection by law enforcement, though it does have a legitimate use in blocking spam/spyware IPs. But that argument hasn&#39;t stopped the copyright Gestapo from trying to ban P2P software. Keep your ears to the ground on this one...