PDA

View Full Version : New Nintendo Console

Mad Cat
01-29-2004, 06:50 PM
NINTENDO ANNOUNCES DUAL-SCREENED PORTABLE GAME SYSTEM

“Mystery Product” to Launch Later this Year

An unprecedented approach to video game play — holding two separate game screens in the palm of your hands — hits the scene later this year when Nintendo introduces a new portable game system, Nintendo DS (temporary name).

Today’s announcement is just a glimpse of the additional features and benefits that will be shown in full at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles in May. Once fully revealed, players will see the innovative advance in game interaction.

From information made available today, players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a football game, you can view the whole game on one screen, while simultaneously focusing on an individual footballer’s tackle or goal on the other screen. Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character’s ongoing battle and a map of their environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other.

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president, explains: “We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century"

Nintendo DS features two separate 3” TFT LCD display panels, separate processors, and semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit. It is scheduled to launch worldwide before the end of 2004. In addition to Nintendo developed software, the company is in discussions with third party game developers around the world.

Nintendo DS will be marketed separately from the existing Nintendo Game Boy Advance portable system and Nintendo GameCube home console.

fred devliegher
01-29-2004, 06:57 PM
:lol:

Leave it to Nintendo to innovate. 2 screens - better than I expected !

Now let's all pray it doesn't go the way of the Virtual Boy , R.O.B. and the infamous "glove controller"...

*starting to save money NOW*

mr. nails
01-29-2004, 07:00 PM
not to sure about this thing. but, what that article didn't mention is the fact that both the screens can form one big screen.

fred devliegher
01-29-2004, 07:07 PM
One interesting rumor that came up :

What if the second screen is a touchscreen - How cool would that be ?

What if the whole thing is holographic ? - Sweet !

Then again - these are the people who built the 64DD...

Cygnuz-Y
01-29-2004, 07:17 PM
How big is this new "portable" thing is going to be?

2 3"Inchs TFT and what about the buttons?

fred devliegher
01-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Even more (http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/476/476328p1.html) info - looking hotter by the minute !

*But I want it NOW !*

mr. nails
01-30-2004, 05:33 AM
meh, i'm still not impressed...sorry.

j4y3m
01-30-2004, 06:31 AM
They are just trying to compete with Sony's PSP. You didn't think Nintendo would just sit around lettings Sony take over the hand-held market aswell did you? :P

Evil Gemini
01-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Nintendo did not release an image of the new product, but it said that the dual screens will let a user view games from two different perspectives, such as an overview map and a close-up of a battle. In a news release, Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., said the Nintendo DS is "based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices."

;)

I would rather see an n64 addon for the gamecube

mr. nails
01-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by stupidguy@30 January 2004 - 00:31
They are just trying to compete with Sony's PSP. You didn't think Nintendo would just sit around lettings Sony take over the hand-held market aswell did you? :P
sony won't have the handheld market for awhile. who in their rite mind is gonna pay $300+ for a handheld. surely not me. fuck that!

mr. nails
01-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Evil Gemini@30 January 2004 - 00:33

Nintendo did not release an image of the new product, but it said that the dual screens will let a user view games from two different perspectives, such as an overview map and a close-up of a battle. In a news release, Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., said the Nintendo DS is "based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices."

;)

I would rather see an n64 addon for the gamecube
TRUE

silverccrow
01-30-2004, 06:12 PM
I need 2 see a pic of the final product first but I think they R getting crazy

Poor Nintendo company nothing better than that ? 2 stupid screens _ why ? :huh:

dinner123
01-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by mr. nails+30 January 2004 - 07:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mr. nails @ 30 January 2004 - 07:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-stupidguy@30 January 2004 - 00:31
They are just trying to compete with Sony&#39;s PSP. You didn&#39;t think Nintendo would just sit around lettings Sony take over the hand-held market aswell did you? :P
sony won&#39;t have the handheld market for awhile. who in their rite mind is gonna pay &#036;300+ for a handheld. surely not me. fuck that&#33; [/b][/quote]
you gotta wait a bit,the price will drop,i guarantee it.

According to Nintendo this isnt supposed to compete with the PSP (yeh right ;) ).
But instead,a GBA succesor is being worked on,that will hopefull kick the PSP&#39;s ass.

Nightwolf
01-30-2004, 10:29 PM
I am so disappointed with Nintendo I can hardly stand them any more, and I used to be one of their biggest fans&#33; Who the hell needs a handheld with two screens? When I heard they would be unveiling some amazing new hardware I was hoping it would be a Gamecube adapter that played N64, SNES and original NES games. Now that would have been cool, and it would have motivated me to actually buy a Gamecube. Most of their old games were so much more fun to play than anything they make today, but they don&#39;t seem to realize they&#39;re sitting on a goldmine - if only they would cash in on it.

dinner123
01-31-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Nightwolf@30 January 2004 - 21:29
I am so disappointed with Nintendo I can hardly stand them any more, and I used to be one of their biggest fans&#33; Who the hell needs a handheld with two screens? When I heard they would be unveiling some amazing new hardware I was hoping it would be a Gamecube adapter that played N64, SNES and original NES games.
But is that &#39;inovative&#39;.Its not really anything new is it.

Nightwolf
01-31-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by dinner123+31 January 2004 - 07:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dinner123 &#064; 31 January 2004 - 07:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Nightwolf@30 January 2004 - 21:29
I am so disappointed with Nintendo I can hardly stand them any more, and I used to be one of their biggest fans&#33;&nbsp; Who the hell needs a handheld with two screens?&nbsp; When I heard they would be unveiling some amazing new hardware I was hoping it would be a Gamecube adapter that played N64, SNES and original NES games.
But is that &#39;inovative&#39;.Its not really anything new is it.[/b][/quote]
That&#39;s my point. Nintendo is so busy trying to come up with something new and innovative they&#39;ve completely forgotten about their older fans and all the great games from the early days. Every time they come out with a new console they completely abandon their old one. At least when PS2 came out, not only was it backward compatible, but Sony also made a sleek new PS1 and they kept making games for both systems for a while.

I suspect this new handheld will go the way of the Virtual Boy.

fred devliegher
02-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Touch Screen
The Nintendo DS features not one, but two screens. According to insiders, at least one of the LCDs will in fact be a "touch screen," or capable of receiving and transmitting input from fingers and pens by the touch. It is not known if the device will also ship with a stylus for tablet-like functionality.

Backward Compatible
Nintendo has remained very hush-hush about whether or not the DS portable, which will be positioned as the "third pillar" next to GameCube and Game Boy Advance, will actually be able to play current GBA software. However, insiders out of Japan have told IGN that the device in fact will be backward compatible with Nintendo&#39;s handheld and fully able to play GBA software.

From IGN (http://cube.ign.com/articles/491/491120p1.html?fromint=1)