PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Products

Dray_04
01-30-2004, 01:57 AM
planning on OC my athlon xp 2000+,

so where do I start in terms of cooling. can you guys give me a bit of a head start. :rolleyes:

i know most of you overclock so this should be a breeze

Maximus359
01-30-2004, 02:09 AM
CoolMaster go with that & you be ok, i'd recommend to get a faster cooler than you need, to be on safe side, as conditions can determine CPU temp.

_John_Lennon_
01-30-2004, 02:12 AM
Okay, here's the thing. Answer these few questions,

1. What are you planning to do with your system, (oc, Upgrade processor soon, etc)
2. How much do you have to spend.
3.What kind of cooling do you have already, in means of your case. What kind of cooling does your case have, and what does it support, like how many fans in front, in back, etc.

clocker
01-30-2004, 02:19 AM
In addition to John's questions, could you also tell us what your current temps are (motherboard, socket & chip-under load) and how you are getting them?
Also, what brand/model board do you have?

Dray_04
01-30-2004, 03:34 AM
:frusty:

1) on my sig it shows what im planning on doing, the things in green shows the upgrades ill get within the next few weeks.

2) for cooling i wanna spend way under $60. but im not sure what the prices are of current cooling systems, i have no fans, in my case.
Just a desktop fan that blows fresh air into the case. Obviously i have a fan on my processor (standard)

i cant figure out how to find the temps of my mobo. I downloaded a motherboard programme. i forgot what its called, but outta all the mobo's temps it can read, my mobo wasnt featured, thus proving useless to me.

MSI MS 63-67. .... check my sig

:music1: :helpsmile: :o

_John_Lennon_
01-30-2004, 03:51 AM
Is that 60 USD or new zealand?

Also, do you have anyway of telling us what kind of case you have, to see if maybe you can install another case fan or two.

Dray_04
01-30-2004, 04:23 AM
60 nz

i have no idea what the case is called, its a budget case anyhoo.

packard bell.

tesco
01-30-2004, 04:27 AM
either go into the bios to check your temps (most reliable imo), or get motherboard monitor, just search google for it.

Dray_04
01-30-2004, 04:31 AM
i had Motherboard Monitor and it didnt have MS 6367, so it was useless.

im getting the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, so ill check them temps for that, wen i get it.

_John_Lennon_
01-30-2004, 04:35 AM
it didnt have the MS6367?

Did you try to install it? It usually just take some changing of the sensors it monitors to pick up your temps.

Also, can you take a picture of your case, with the side off?

That would kick ass in helping us assess your cooling situation.

tesco
01-30-2004, 04:41 AM
when did you download it? the newest version has an update feature that downloads newer motherboards (and some older ones) to teh pprogram, but usually you can get it to find the sensors by configuring it a little, not to hard, or just go into your bios.

on second thought, if you are changing motherboards you will have to apply some new thermal compound so those temps might change entirely.

clocker
01-30-2004, 05:18 AM
You see Dray, it's hard to tell where you need to go if we don't know where you are.
You are going to need MBM5 anyway, as the Asus board is only going to read your socket temp.
You want to be getting your chip temp from the Winbond W83L785TS-Sdiode...that's the onboard sensor for your chip ( I think). When you install the app, go to CPU1 and check the options box and that diode should be there.

As far as your case goes, are there any obvious spots to put fans? Places where there are grills already stamped into the walls?

Dray_04
01-30-2004, 02:00 PM
hey sorry bout the slow reply i was at work for most of the daay today.

2am now, i just got back,

anyhoo, back to the topic.

Wish i cud take a foto of my case but i just gave back my grandads digital camera to him (after bout 8 months lol),

does it really matter what kinda case it is? i mean its not the flashest thing, its not like those big glow in the dark, thermometor ones that cost about $200 +. Its just a standard looking budget piece of crap that holds together my POS system.

ill try and find a pic of it using google later, ... i tried b4 but i cudnt find ne. so if u really need it ill try harder 2morow...i mean 2nite.

You are going to need MBM5 anyway, as the Asus board is only going to read your socket temp.

ill download it again soon as i get my new mobo.

As far as your case goes, are there any obvious spots to put fans? Places where there are grills already stamped into the walls

yer therz a few grills at the back that look like sumthing cud be mounded there.

when did you download it? the newest version has an update feature that downloads newer motherboards (and some older ones) to teh pprogram, but usually you can get it to find the sensors by configuring it a little, not to hard, or just go into your bios

i downloaded it about a month ago. under what title is my systems temperatures in my BIOS, i dont really know about BiOS 's so i dont wanna go around messing with things, and probably fk things up.

it didnt have the MS6367?

Did you try to install it? It usually just take some changing of the sensors it monitors to pick up your temps.

of course i installed it john, <_< and YES IT DOES NOT HAVE THE MS6367...maybe it does in the very latest version, ...i duno

clocker
01-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Dray, you don&#39;t have to have a specifically supported board for the program to work, you simply have to manually configure the sensors that it reads from.
But I suppose that this is irrelevant as your new board will be supported.

As far as cooling solutions go it seems that you are starting from scratch...no cooling at all.
If you are using the stock AMD heatsink you can get an immediate ( and cheap) improvement by adapting a 80mm fan on a spacer to it. This will not only increase the airflow (CFM) but also lessen the dead spot in the middle.

Then it&#39;s simply a matter of putting in some fans and seeing what happens.
You&#39;ll have to try them blowing in and then sucking out in every possible combination to see what works best for you.
Don&#39;t bother testing with your system idling. Run some sort of program (BurnIn Test, Folding@Home) that stresses your CPU to the max. You need to get your system cooling optimised before you OC it or you&#39;ll run into stability issues later.

_John_Lennon_
01-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Ugh, you just made me have to do this didnt you dray.

This should work.
W83627HF - sensor chip
Winbond 1 - case sensor
Winbond 2 - CPU sensor

Thats straight from their website, I will give you a screen cap of it if you wish.

Download their latest version, and install it, and select those sensors will corrospond with the temps youre getting from each.

Also, if it looks like there is a spot in the back of your case for a fan? Does it look like a fan about 8CM across fan fit flush against it, and their are screws on the four corners of the areas? With I guess mesh wiring guard infront of it?

Dray_04
01-30-2004, 07:57 PM
sweet,

after running my PC for a couple of dayz straight without turning it off, and without a fan, my temps are,

CPU average 50 degrees Celcius
Case average 70 degrees Celcius

This should work.
W83627HF - sensor chip

is that under voltage menu?

_John_Lennon_
01-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by dray_02@30 January 2004 - 14:57
sweet,

after running my PC for a couple of dayz straight without turning it off, and without a fan, my temps are,

CPU average 50 degrees Celcius
Case average 70 degrees Celcius

This should work.
W83627HF - sensor chip

is that under voltage menu?
The sensor names change from Motherboard to motherboard, for instance that was listed for my motherboard, but I just used another Winbond sensor.

Also, those temps, make no sense, sorry to say.

The CPU is usually the higher one, and if thats the case, then your Case is 50C, and your CPU is 70C, which would be REDICLIOUSLY high for the case, and really high, verging on dangerous for the Processor.

Take the side of your case, and see what your temps go down to.

Dray_04
01-30-2004, 11:39 PM
like i sed b4,

MBM doesnt support my MOBO. i did what you told me, so if thats wrong then so r u.

I have had the side of my case off for about 3 months now. I have had a desktop fan pushing in fresh air every time i turn on my pc

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by dray_02@30 January 2004 - 18:39
like i sed b4,

MBM doesnt support my MOBO. i did what you told me, so if thats wrong then so r u.

I have had the side of my case off for about 3 months now. I have had a desktop fan pushing in fresh air every time i turn on my pc
:-/ maybe your just selecting the wrong sensors, becuase if I was wrong and your motherboard wasnt supported, then you usually dont get any temps at all, just like when you select a thermal sensor that doesnt exist on something like my board, it just doesnt show up a temp.

Dray_04
01-31-2004, 12:22 AM
ill just have to wait till i get my new mobo b4 i can overclock,

so dont worry bout the temps at present.

can sum1 tell me what kinda cooling systems there are, and what i should get. I am (like most ppl on this forum) a gamer on a budget.

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by dray_02@30 January 2004 - 19:22
ill just have to wait till i get my new mobo b4 i can overclock,

so dont worry bout the temps at present.

can sum1 tell me what kinda cooling systems there are, and what i should get. I am (like most ppl on this forum) a gamer on a budget.
Ahh, righto.

Now then, we&#39;ll froget about seeing if you need another fan or two in your case, and just concetrate on the CPU cooling.

*goes to check your budget, and research.

Give me a few.

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 12:29 AM
http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=113868

Hey, its my cooling fan&#33;

if you guys have a better choice, then here ya go, looks like a nice large selection.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-templat...p?cname=Cooling (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=Cooling)

bluedevil
01-31-2004, 02:24 AM
i downloaded it about a month ago. under what title is my systems temperatures in my BIOS, i dont really know about BiOS &#39;s so i dont wanna go around messing with things, and probably fk things up.

well how are you gonna oc then?...the best ocíng is done from the bios. :)

clocker
01-31-2004, 02:32 AM
Wow&#33;
Prices are very high in New Zealand.

People seem to really love the stuff from Thermalright...especially the new SP series. They get very good reviews and their customer service/tech support is supposed to be second to none.
Too bad you&#39;re paying double what we do in the States.

You probably get cheap wool though....

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 02:33 AM
I have the stock AMD HeatSink, and I just bought a 60mm>80mm adapter...

THE PROJECT WAS A BITCH&#33;

I had to make holes in the adapter bigger on both ends...then the screws that came with the fan didnt even fit the fan&#33; wtf? lol..but after an hour or so of drilling I got the perfect fit. Now I have the stock amd heatsink, a chrome fan adapter, and a 80mm coolmaster blue LED fan on it.

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@30 January 2004 - 21:33
I have the stock AMD HeatSink, and I just bought a 60mm>80mm adapter...

THE PROJECT WAS A BITCH&#33;

I had to make holes in the adapter bigger on both ends...then the screws that came with the fan didnt even fit the fan&#33; wtf? lol..but after an hour or so of drilling I got the perfect fit. Now I have the stock amd heatsink, a chrome fan adapter, and a 80mm coolmaster blue LED fan on it.
Haha, I love those cooler master blues, I have 2 more on the way for my Soho Server case.

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 03:08 AM
Aren&#39;t they the PERFECT blue&#33; lol..There not too dark, but not too light..I love them as well.

having some problems making new partitions with partition magic 8 though..

Im resizing the C: drive to 20GB and then making a new partition about 140GB (160GB total HDD). Once it reboots and starts to do that..it gets an error on resizing the C: drive to 20GB and says error 1611 while executing batch..any ideas?

Livy
01-31-2004, 03:18 AM
i heard windows has probs with disk over 139gb.

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 05:17 AM
I thought it was only the BIOS&#39;s that had problems.

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 05:18 AM
this is pissing the shit outa me...

adamp2p
01-31-2004, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@30 January 2004 - 21:18
this is pissing the shit outa me...
Big dawg, if you are having the issue with Windows and the large hard drives, I suggest you buy a controller card (which will also improve performance)

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/images/product/130405.jpg

Link (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=130405)

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Why would I buy a controller card..I have one built it. Its worked before and it just pisses me off that now it wont work good..I hate shit like that.

Dray_04
01-31-2004, 11:54 PM
thanks john, you have been alot of help :P , especially going to a NZ site, ... thats very nice of you.

as for the guy with the cheap wool comment..... lol i cant say that i buy wool.
<_< :rolleyes: :D