PDA

View Full Version : Moving Downloaded (not Completed) File

the ftracker
01-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi
At work, i'm behind a firewall so my connection is lowid.
Some files can't be completed because of lowid to lowid connection.
Can i take this files to complete the download at home?
Important ! my share folder on the 2 computer is different, does it matter? I know that on K-lite it does matter.... And if the folder setting is important,is there a way to change it?
TIA

guit_steel
01-30-2004, 02:39 PM
U shouldn't have a prob as long as u transfer all files for each dl — .part, .part.met, .part.met.bak, .part.settings, and .part.stats.

I've never transferred files between computers but I've made back-up folders while updating versions and never had a prob. ;)

thisiswhoweare
01-30-2004, 02:48 PM
if you use more than one temp folder, or have more than one temp folder becos you have it set up on two computers, do not rename the files if they both have files with the same name, ie part001.part in one folder and part001.part in another folder. Just add additional temp directories in emule preferences.

Make sure to disable readonly as it may have become set to that during burning.

And check directory settings after wards as AFAIK they are absolute and not relative. (ie if original location was C:\emule\temp, then the settings in emule will look for this location on the new computer, make sure its set to C:\programfiles\emule\temp or whatever it is, and restart the client to bring up the list.

Keep the originals on the main computer till you are sure there arent gonna be any problems just to be safe, but ive never had any problems when i had to reformat my computer.

Good luck.

the ftracker
01-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@30 January 2004 - 14:48
And check directory settings after wards as AFAIK they are absolute and not relative. (ie if original location was C:\emule\temp, then the settings in emule will look for this location on the new computer, make sure its set to C:\programfiles\emule\temp or whatever it is, and restart the client to bring up the list.
Thanks for the reply.
Just to make things clear, can you explain the quoted part again in other words?
I'm not an English speaker, so i'm not sure if I need to change the directory seting to the "original" of the file (or to create this folder) or just to make sure it points to the local (home computer) directory...

Thanks

thisiswhoweare
01-30-2004, 04:03 PM
sure no problem...

ok.

say you have your current directories for emule (temp and incoming) at:
"C:\program files\emule\incoming"
"C:\program files\emule\temp"
for your computer(s) at work.

If you move the emule folder , the incoming folder, temp folder, and shared folders onto another computer say to:
"C:\emule\incoming"
"C:\emule\temp"

your emule settings still look for the required files at
"C:\program files\emule\incoming"
"C:\program files\emule\temp" rather than the new locations.

Just change the locations in the directories settings inside emule for your incoming, temp, and shared folders locations and restart and it should work fine then on.

so in short:
just to make sure it points to the local (home computer) directory...

the ftracker
01-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for your detaild answer.
I'm about to move some files, not the directory with the files in it.
So, from what you say, i just have to copy the files into my "home" temp dir and the download should work....

Thanks...

thisiswhoweare
01-31-2004, 08:46 PM
yep. (Assuming you already have another emule on home computer already set up (inc incoming and temp folders).

But if the temp folder already has files in it, it might prove a problem. If the files are you copying to the temp folder already have a file with the same name (part001.part on work temp folder moving to home temp folder where a file "part001.part" exists) then you have to be careful not to override them or you will lose some of your incomplete downloads.

So just create a folder called worktemp or something in the same folder as your normal temp folder. Go to preferences, and set as an additional temp directory to the worktemp. The restart emule and both your home and work downloads shoiuld appear.

Tip: if you have uploaded both at work and at home, keep a copy of your config files for both somewhere. Depending on which one you have used to upload the most to, copy the userhash.dat/preferences.dat/cryptkey.dat and clients.met (as well as the friends file) over the other config files. Doing this retains the credits you have gotten through uploading, so using the set of files you have uploaded the most will be better as you'll have gained more credits.

the ftracker
02-01-2004, 02:29 PM
thisiswhoweare, You are the best. Thanks for the info and the great tips!!
the ftracker

thisiswhoweare
02-01-2004, 03:13 PM
glad i could help.
Let me know how you get on.