PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of Building My Own

BILLY-THE-FISH
01-31-2004, 12:29 AM
Hi,
Thinking of building my own computer (well tower anyhow :lol: )
I'm a bit of a beginner in building and was wondering on peoples opinions on how hard it is?
I mean I know the basics, in a mark out of 10 how difficult do you personally think it is for someone like me?
Anyone know of any good sites for guides etc.?
I know this is probably the best site I can think of for good advice!! :lol:

Cheers!

Livy
01-31-2004, 12:36 AM
check out pinned tiopic hardware guide

Skillian
01-31-2004, 12:43 AM
I built my first one last week and couldn't be happier. I'm probably a similar level to you, no expert but know the basics, though building it has taught me a whole lot more.

As long as you're willing to do a little research you'll be fine I think. Tom's hardware is a good site, but I think you'll be better reading around about specific subjects so you know what you're doing rather than just following each step of an all-in-one guide.

I say do it, you'll get a computer that will be exactly how you want it and you'll get a much better sense of satisfaction when it's done than you would do just driving home from the shops with it in the boot of your car.

I can't really give you a mark out of 10 for difficulty, but I will say that it was easier than I imagined.

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 12:47 AM
Prepare the computer case
Open case
Mount base screws
Open expansion slots
Prepare and mount the motherboard
Mount CPU and CPU cooler
Mount memory modules
Mount motherboard onto case
Connect power supply
Mount the drives
Mount floppy drive
Mount hard drive
Mount CD ROM drive
Connect the drives and motherboard
Connect floppy drive
Connect hard drive
Connect CD ROM drive
Mount video and other add-on cards
Mount video card
Mount sound card
Mount FAX/data modem
Testing and getting ready for operating system
Power-on for the first time

And Billy, we all had to start sometime. The first time I built my own system, I made it out okay, so you should be fine.

BILLY-THE-FISH
01-31-2004, 01:00 AM
Cheers you guys!!
You make me feel like making it right now! (can't wait to try)

One more thing though,

Would you recommend buying the best you could afford now or trying on a smaller scale first? as not to waste too much much money on first attempt!

Livy
01-31-2004, 01:03 AM
ud be better buying what u can afford, but there no point in gettuing a athlon 3200 and radeon 9800xt when all u do is sruf net a little if u get what i mean.

there aint much chance in u actually breaking anything, and its false econemy to buy both systems

DWk
01-31-2004, 01:04 AM
Wouldn't it be better to mount CPU/HSF and RAM before mounting the mobo? ;)

Livy
01-31-2004, 01:06 AM
could be argued both ways, but boatrd will be grounded when in case. and if they are the first to go in, then it aint hard to do them while in.

also when building it, have u case power lead plugged in, but not switched on. to ground the case, and touch it while workign on it as not to damage components while working on them.

and also dont take ur mobo out the anti static bag and lay it on top of it, as the outside of the bag insnt anti-static

BILLY-THE-FISH
01-31-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Livy@31 January 2004 - 00:03
ud be better buying what u can afford, but there no point in gettuing a athlon 3200 and radeon 9800xt when all u do is sruf net a little if u get what i mean.

there aint much chance in u actually breaking anything, and its false econemy to buy both systems
Yeah thats what i thought!!
I got about £800

I think that should get me a good games machine!!

Livy
01-31-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH+31 January 2004 - 01:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BILLY-THE-FISH @ 31 January 2004 - 01:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@31 January 2004 - 00:03

Yeah thats what i thought&#33;&#33;
I got about £800

I think that should get me a good games machine&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
thatd get u a pretty good machine.

i got this machine last month

athlon 2500xp barton
biostar m7ncd
512mb crucial pc2700
ati radeon 9200se
17" flat crt
case comcbo kit(speaker, keyboard mouse)
floppy
sony dvd-rom
80gig maxtor drive
cables and fans

for £400 of ebuyer and dabs

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 01:16 AM
Looks like you can probably build a kick ass system, and 3500 Ram atleast, and a overclocking motherboard, and a high end cooling solution, perhaps even watercooling :D for that 800 then.

I will look around a bit later when my hands are so sticky, from these cracker jacks.

BILLY-THE-FISH
01-31-2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks that sounds ok&#33;

What I was thinking of though is buying my comp bit by bit
i.e. buying it over say 3-4 months&#33;
Do you think I should buy my graphics card and Processor last?
The price of those seems to change quite often with new editions always coming out, whereas the price of Ram for example don&#39;t seem to change as often&#33;&#33;

BILLY-THE-FISH
01-31-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@31 January 2004 - 00:16
Looks like you can probably build a kick ass system, and 3500 Ram atleast, and a overclocking motherboard, and a high end cooling solution, perhaps even watercooling :D for that 800 then.

I will look around a bit later when my hands are so sticky, from these cracker jacks.
Ok thanks John&#33;&#33;&#33;

callum
01-31-2004, 01:29 AM
I built my first computer last week, I found it quite easy, even with my girlfriend moaning at me half of the time and seriously affecting my concentration :lol:

Livy
01-31-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by callum@31 January 2004 - 01:29
I built my first computer last week, I found it quite easy, even with my girlfriend moaning at me half of the time and seriously affecting my concentration :lol:
women tend to do that alot.

anyway, ud be better fo buying it all at once, as all the bits are useless on there own/

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH+30 January 2004 - 20:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH &#064; 30 January 2004 - 20:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-_John_Lennon_@31 January 2004 - 00:16

Ok thanks John&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
Almost done Billy, and im having to now cut down on some things, seeing as how you already have an AMD 64 bit 3000+, Radeon 9800 Pro, etc.

Btw, what is VAT, and why is it so damn much?

Also, will you be carrying anything over from your current system, like keyboard, mouse, monitor, hard drives, speakers or anything?

Livy
01-31-2004, 01:46 AM
value added tax, goes in goverments pocket.

where does it say he has a 64bit 3000+ and 9800pro?

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Livy@30 January 2004 - 20:46
value added tax, goes in goverments pocket.

where does it say he has a 64bit 3000+ and 9800pro?
And I said im picking them out for him.

One sec, I upload screen cap of the cart, too much linking at the moment seeing as how its just a rough idea of a new system for him.

Livy
01-31-2004, 01:55 AM
ah rtight, misread, i thought u meant he already had them in current system.

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 01:58 AM
http://www.titansfan098.com/uploader/shoppicarUK.JPG

Any suggestions from anyone?

The case/PSU/keyboard/mouse/speakers was a bit of an all in one to round out the package, and so people dont complain about no this, or that.

Anything special you want for it? Like cold cathodes, etc etc.

Also its stock cooling for now, didnt go into that yet, but I have heard great things about their stock cooler for the 64bit chips anyway. Most people just stay with standard cooling, but I have that option to look into something different, for overclocking as u will notice with the 3700 memory.

Livy
01-31-2004, 02:08 AM
thats the same kinda case combo i have. they are pretty good value, and good quality, i had no probs with it,
only one minor thing is the air intake an vent arent that good, but can be modded to be better, and most cases dont seem to allow for good intakle an vent

BILLY-THE-FISH
01-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@31 January 2004 - 00:58

The case/PSU/keyboard/mouse/speakers was a bit of an all in one to round out the package, and so people dont complain about no this, or that.

Also its stock cooling for now, didnt go into that yet, but I have heard great things about their stock cooler for the 64bit chips anyway. Most people just stay with standard cooling, but I have that option to look into something different, for overclocking as u will notice with the 3700 memory.
Thanks Johnlennon, that seems good&#33;

Not sure I need a keyboard etc.
I already have a good one and I got videologic 5.1 surround sound speakers

_John_Lennon_
01-31-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH+31 January 2004 - 06:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BILLY-THE-FISH @ 31 January 2004 - 06:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-_John_Lennon_@31 January 2004 - 00:58

Also its stock cooling for now, didnt go into that yet, but I have heard great things about their stock cooler for the 64bit chips anyway.&nbsp; Most people just stay with standard cooling, but I have that option to look into something different, for overclocking as u will notice with the 3700 memory.
Thanks Johnlennon, that seems good&#33;

Not sure I need a keyboard etc.
I already have a good one and I got videologic 5.1 surround sound speakers [/b][/quote]
K, then if you get that setup you will have an extra set of speakers, and keyboard.

And a mouse.

Now, all thats not included int hat setup i showed, is a monitor.........

BILLY-THE-FISH
02-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Cheers John&#33;&#33;

by the way, Which on-line shop are you getting those prices from?

_John_Lennon_
02-01-2004, 02:14 AM
www.ebuyer.co.uk

Just add those parts to your basket and all should look like my screen shot.