PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Partition

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 03:09 AM
having some problems making new partitions with partition magic 8

Im resizing the C: drive to 20GB and then making a new partition about 140GB (160GB total HDD). Once it reboots and starts to do that..it gets an error on resizing the C: drive to 20GB and says error 1611 while executing batch..any ideas?

TheFilePirater
01-31-2004, 03:12 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

re-download partition magic from some other place, u got a bad one

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 03:19 AM
Ive used it numerous times and it worked...should I reinstall it?

Im trying to resize the C:...then create a new one which is called G:...Ive used this exact prog before..I duno why it wont work...pissing me off though...

It would be possible for me to run my comp off my old 80GB HDD then erase the 160GB one and create 2 partitions, THEN install windows...but I already have all my progs installed and REALLY dont wana do that..

DWk
01-31-2004, 03:23 AM
My advice - don't use Partition Magic (or any other partitioner) to RE-PARTITION a hard drive. Just use it if you want to format the drive or something :)

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 03:30 AM
What do I use if I want to create 2 partitions then?

Ok..I just cant get the damn thing to work..I like to have another partition for all of my data, and a partition just for my O/S..that way if I have to reformat, its no big deal...helllp.

DWk
01-31-2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@30 January 2004 - 20:30
What do I use if I want to create 2 partitions then?

Ok..I just cant get the damn thing to work..I like to have another partition for all of my data, and a partition just for my O/S..that way if I have to reformat, its no big deal...helllp.
Ever used windows help? <_<

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 03:46 AM
Thanks, I&#39;ll try that.

Theres nothing that says New Logical Drive...

Robert00000
01-31-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@31 January 2004 - 03:09
having some problems making new partitions with partition magic 8

Im resizing the C: drive to 20GB and then making a new partition about 140GB (160GB total HDD). Once it reboots and starts to do that..it gets an error on resizing the C: drive to 20GB and says error 1611 while executing batch..any ideas?
When using partition magic its important you have a good understanding of the layout of your drive.

I had so many problems with when i first used, i reformated my drive many times because of the errors, but i learnt something new each time.

Now I have PM under my control, it knows who its master is ;) Its an excellent piece of software once you understand it.

Error 1611 is a bad system file name error, have a look at this link for the solution http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id2086.cfm

One important thing you have to know about PM - when you create a new partition it gives you the option to create before or after C:, the default option it offers is often wrong, so you need to decide which one would be best. Think about which segments of your disc the partition/s are located. If you have one partition then you should choose after C:, because there will not be enough space before C:

Its always better to create new partitions after to keep the integrity of the drive.

Once you have all the partiton you need don&#39;t change them around too much or you will get errors.

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 04:41 AM
Its a brand new drive...havnt done nothing but installed windows...should I just completley reformatt it and get it blank again, THEN put it into 2 partitions"?

I am now running windows through my 80 GB HDD and tried to resize the 160GB HDD, but I got errors...kinda diff kind..but still errors and it wouldnt let me do it...

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 04:51 AM
why oh why cant i just make a new fucking partitiong...I think I will have to completly delete everything off of the new drive...ugh

DWk
01-31-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@30 January 2004 - 21:41
Its a brand new drive...havnt done nothing but installed windows...should I just completley reformatt it and get it blank again, THEN put it into 2 partitions"?
Get this right - you partition BEFORE you format. You can&#39;t partition after formatting.

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 04:55 AM
I was using a HDD for a year and it was still running windows and everything, and I still was able to make a separate partition...Should I just completley erase the drive and make it blank and then use my 80GB HDD to partition the 160GB HDD, then install windows onto the 160GB HDD? or not?

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 05:13 AM
^^^^will that work?

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 05:40 AM
before I go to bed DWK&#33; lolol

fkdup74
01-31-2004, 06:07 AM
blah&#33; :P
use acronis partition expert :P
its on emule :D

no offense rob, but acronis was a hell of a lot easier, and no errors B)

downsized my drive and created new partitions in just a few minutes ;)

no loss of data either, no reinstalls of anything B)

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 01:08 PM
I never can get emule to work...

I think there might be something wrong with my drive or something...ive partitioned many times with partition magic 8 with no probs...

can i reformatt the new drive and make it blank, then partition, then install windows?

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Ugh....now when I was in partition manager and right clicked on the drive and clicked properties I got the Error 1611 message like 5 times...wtf :(

bigdawgfoxx
01-31-2004, 03:45 PM
nvm...just reformatted the whole drive and put it into 2 partitions before i installed windows...everythings good now...thanks for yalls help though&#33;