PDA

View Full Version : Zl4 Files...

4th gen
01-31-2004, 05:38 AM
I've been downloading some eBooks tonight (from the newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book.technical). Most of the downloaded books are *.pdf, *.zip or *.rar files, however, a large number of them (51 files, 164MB) are seen as *.zl4 files. After doing a little research, I've found out that these *.zl4 files are most likely *.chm files, however, I'm not sure and want to make sure I'm not in any danger (the files are mostly on programming (c++ and java) but some are on 'dodgy' areas of computing... :unsure:

Does anyone have any experience dealing with these *.zl4 files? TIA for any help/advice

j4y3m
01-31-2004, 05:45 AM
Umm this is kinda off-topic but how can you connect to those newsgroups? They don't conect for me. :blink: They worked a week ago though. About your original problem I can't really help though this site http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=ZL4 sais they're for ZoneAlarm Mailsafe. :blink:

4th gen
01-31-2004, 05:48 AM
I found this (http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=Privacy&message.id=504) link which explains what's going on, I think it should be ok just to rename them to chm and have a bash...

Take a look at the link in my sig for some more info on newsgroups. Do you know if your ISP offers a feree Newsgroup service? If you're unsure, try their homepage or tech support...

j4y3m
01-31-2004, 05:52 AM
I don't know if my ISP has one but I'll look it up. But I'm using NewsBin Pro to connect to news://newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net but I can't download an updated group list or connect to any of the groups already listed.

4th gen
01-31-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by stupidguy@31 January 2004 - 04:52
I don't know if my ISP has one but I'll look it up. But I'm using NewsBin Pro to connect to news://newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net but I can't download an updated grouos list or connect to any of the groups already listed.
I was trying to help out another member here with newsgroups last week and I suggested he try that server address. However, he couldn't get it working either, I think the company who services this feed are blocking out users. Try and find out about your own ISP though, they should offer a service (though the quality of binary files and/or retention may be very poor)

j4y3m
01-31-2004, 06:02 AM
Okay thanks. I have a pretty common ISP(in the UK) there site is www.ntlworld.com I can't find anything about newsgroups on there but I'll keep looking. Now enough talk about nesgroups since this is Bookworld. :P

4th gen
01-31-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by stupidguy@31 January 2004 - 05:02
Okay thanks. I have a pretty common ISP(in the UK) there site is www.ntlworld.com I can't find anything about newsgroups on there but I'll keep looking. Now enough talk about nesgroups since this is Bookworld. :P
news.ntlworld.com

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/settings.htm

Don't get your hopes up too much, I used to know someone on NTL and he didn't get very good results. Worth a shot though, eh?

j4y3m
01-31-2004, 06:08 AM
Thanks, so do your books work fine now then?

4th gen
01-31-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by stupidguy@31 January 2004 - 05:08
Thanks, so do your books work fine now then?
Not tried yet, to be honest, I've been checking the others first, but I'll get round to trying out the other ones soon :)
Good luck with the newsgroups

MagicNakor
01-31-2004, 06:47 AM
I had a zl4 file once. It was from my firewall renaming a WinZip .exe that came through on my email. I knew who sent it, and I knew what it was (in fact I asked for it ;)) but it's a safety-protection. If you trust that the source is reliable, throw your dice.

:ninja:

4th gen
01-31-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@31 January 2004 - 05:47
I had a zl4 file once. It was from my firewall renaming a WinZip .exe that came through on my email. I knew who sent it, and I knew what it was (in fact I asked for it ;)) but it's a safety-protection. If you trust that the source is reliable, throw your dice.

:ninja:
I'm fairly sure the source is reliable (i've only had two viruses from newsgroups so far and nod32 caught them for me). Also, the poster seems to be quite respectable, so I think they'll be fine