PDA

View Full Version : Nero Backitup Problem.

Manny Roscoe
01-31-2004, 12:50 PM
I recently backed up a lot of my files with Nero Backitup becasue I wanted to format my hard drive and do a clean install of Windows XP.

After the reinstall of Windows XP, I ran Nero Backitup to restore my files, but none of them could be opened at all, so, in order to restore the backup, must I be logged on to the previous install of XP?

Is there ANY program that can let me extract the backup files besides Nero Backitup, or am I screwed?

Is there a program that extracts "NBI" files?

:helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

peat moss
01-31-2004, 06:06 PM
What version of nero? The early ones don't support NTFS.. :(

Found this http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77875

Manny Roscoe
01-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Im using Nero 6 Ultra Edition.
Plus Im in the same kinda shit that dude in that other forum is in, yet, instead of DVDs, its my important documents that I cant decompress......

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 01:49 AM
Ok....

I realize I need to run "NRESTORE.EXE" on the FIRST backup CD, as many people suggested, but, I've found NRESTORE.EXE in C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero, not on the CD, yet, there's another problem.

When I run the .exe, a message comes up saying :
"C:\PROGRA~1\Ahead\Nero\NRESTORE.EXE
An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Chose close to terminate the application."

I click on Ignore,click enter, and a screen comes up with a list of the following drives:
E:
G:
I:
J:
K:
L:

I dont have any of these drives, though.
I click on any drive....lets say drive G: for example. When I do so,a prompt comes up saying "Please insert Backup CD #1 in drive G:" I click enter, and it says "backup not found".

Here's the problem: how do I configure the drives? I mean, I cant boot the CD in drive "G" or "I" because I dont have a drive G or I. The only CD drive I have is "D".

So, how can I boot the D drive in NRESTORE?

Please, help me. I spent all day trying to figure this out.

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 06:05 AM
Is there a program that extracts an image of the partition I backed up?

Is there a program that extracts track and sector data?

:helpsmile:

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Does anyone know what an "NBI File" is?

toco004
02-01-2004, 07:17 AM
just change your drive name to one on the list

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 07:25 AM
How do I change the D drive to "G"?

toco004
02-01-2004, 07:35 AM
forgot how sorry.but now i think you can change it

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Yeah,but its not like I can right click the the D drive and change the properties.
It doesnt work like that. I've installed an "E" drive from Daemon Tools and now the damn NRESTORE.EXE doesnt even detect the E drive. What the hell is going on?? I've spent on day on this shit and Im fucking pissed!! How could Nero have a Backup program that doesnt let me restore my backup on another partition? There has to be something Im doing wrong....yet, this place is so dead today....only two people responded to this fucking thread when I KNOW theres someone here that has a solution to my problem or at least knows what the problem is......... :angry:

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Damn this place is dead....PLEASE FUCKING HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

skelley521
02-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Start with the backitup manual HERE (http://www.nero.com/us/631927445295162.html).
You will need a .PDF reader like adobe.

Also HERE (http://www.nero.com/en/631938327790644.html) is more information.

Its not that the forum is that dead, its just because its not used by many, so you will just have to be patient.

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Yeah dude, but I've been waiting all damn day for a response when I needed to fix this problem right away. Thanks for the help.

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 06:46 PM
I still follow the instructions and the damn error message STILL comes up. Must I have been on the other partition in order to restore the backup?

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 07:48 PM
<_<

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 08:09 PM
139 fucking views and only 14 responses mostly by me.....what the fuck man?&#33;&#33;?

Look, has ANYONE heard of this situation before or been in it themselves? I mean, I dont mean to annoy any of you, but the fucking backitup manual and FAQ aint doing jack shit to help, plus I ask this here cuz a lot of people here know their shit.

I got lots of important shit on those backups and I need them back quick....where the fuck is everybody? :blink: :frusty: :unsure:

skelley521
02-01-2004, 08:26 PM
I dont mean to annoy any of you

No problems here....
It&#39;s understandable, after all, you have important information that you need.

....where the fuck is everybody?

Superbowl Party&#39;s

I just installed Nero 6.3.02 and ran the backitup utility and recovered everything fine...(from the HD)...have you though about re-installing Nero??
Going now to back up to cd.....

Manny Roscoe
02-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Done that already....nope....doesnt help....oh well.....its gonna be a pain in the ass to get EVERYTHING I had from the net....I&#39;ll lay this thread to rest now since nothing works....maybe I fucked up the backup....I dunno.....

Like I said, I backed up my files to my hard drive BEFORE I formatted my hard drive. When the backup was complete, I burned the NBI File to a CD-R....maybe thats what I did wrong. I should of selected backing up to CD-R instead of the hard drive...yeah...maybe thats the problem...well.....I gotta get 100 something programs back...plus a shit load of MP3s.

Yet....the files are all on the CD-R, meaning that they can still probably be extracted, but I cant open them with Backitup....oh well...I&#39;ve learned my lesson I guess.... :smilie4: <_<

Manny Roscoe
02-02-2004, 05:45 AM
:(

Xero Grid
02-02-2004, 07:45 AM
O_O WOW, that sux.
I never heard of this. I haven&#39;t used Nero&#39;s BackItUp tool yet.

Perhaps, you didn&#39;t burn it correctly, but I agree there has to be a way to get the files.

When you insert the disk into the drive, what kind of files are there? One big file or something? Maybe you could copy the contents to the HD and see what Nero can do with it.... See if it recogizes whatever is there.

I&#39;m gonna look this up, and see what I can find.

-- Xero Grid --

Xero Grid
02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Okay, I have a question. How many disks did you make? Cuz I hear that the neccesary files must be extracted from last to first. At least thats what I heard.

Another thing. Check the DMA settings for the drive. I heard of someone having this problem and it was caused by a messed up DMA setting.

Worst comes to worst, try it on another drive. It could be your current drive.

-- Xero Grid --

Howser2008
12-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Not sure if anybody ever solved this problem, but I have experienced the same thing. It was very frustrating. To solve this I added the latest update for the version I am using (Nero v7.10 .1.2 update ) and everything worked just fine. They had a problem with older version to restore backups.

Skiz
12-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Please don't bump four year old threads. :dabs:

Unless of course the conversation is still relevant, which in this case is surely not.