PDA

View Full Version : Xp Home Ed. - Hangs On Shutdown

ninjaken
01-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Windows XP Home Edition fails to shut down properly after running Klite. It hangs during ‘Saving Your Settings’.
The problem only occurs when Klite has been running and only after it has run for a number of hours.

I have tried the following without success:
Clean install of O.S. and all updates plus tried, tested and trusted application software only.
Set compatibility mode to Win98 for Klite.
Running Klite ‘not acting as a supernode’ and ‘not sharing files’.

I had the same problem with KMD prior to using Klite and trying the above.

Any ideas?

Sparkle1984
01-31-2004, 06:19 PM
As you used KMD in the past, there is a possiblity that the spyware could still be on your system, unless you removed it yourself. Even if you uninstall KMD, the spyware still stays installed. I suggest you try using Adaware or Spybot to remove it, if you haven't done so already. ;)

ninjaken
01-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks for you suggestions Sparkle 1984, however, I used KMD before I carried out a clean reinstallation of my system. I also regularly run Spybot S&D.

4th gen
01-31-2004, 07:04 PM
What internet connection do you have? If ADSL, what modem do you have?

4th gen
01-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Take a look here (http://www.activewin.com/tips/tips/microsoft/winxp/shutdown/4.shtml)

ninjaken
02-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi 4th gen,
I'm Using a BT Voyager 400 Modem. I'ts software sometimes fails to respond on disconnection but only afer running KL.

MUSLEMAN
02-01-2004, 01:16 PM
you shut off klite then turn pc off and thats when it gets stuck??

ninjaken
02-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Hi Muscleman,
Yes to your question. I have also tried closing all running programs including those running in background, but still get hang on XP shutdown.

Switeck
02-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Your computer's Win XP OS may be getting into a hung state on a program NOT visible on the task list. Like a virus might do...

Also, the networking part of the OS may be glitching up, preventing proper shutdown.

Have you tried monitoring both connections and connection speed using 3rd party apps designed for the task?
There may be more going on than you realize...

ninjaken
02-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Hi,Switeck
Thanks for your post.
I agree with your first two points and if I understand you correctly I should be looking to identify the problem as far down the line as possible since it may be easier to work upwards to the source!
Can you recommend a monitoring application to assist?

MUSLEMAN
02-03-2004, 03:52 AM
after runnning upto date av and adaware if this problem still instist then do an os repair with your xp cd, it takes about 20 minutes and all your files will be ok

Switeck
02-03-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by ninjaken@2 February 2004 - 20:13
Can you recommend a monitoring application to assist?
AnalogX NetStat Live (at www.analogx.com ) is what I use to monitor total bandwidth useage on both downloads and uploads.

TCPview from www.sysinternals.com is what I use to monitor individual connections (but not their speeds :( ) so I can see if my computer is connected to anything whenever I think it's just sitting idle. I also use it to hunt for RIAA/MPAA/BSA scanning bots.

ninjaken
02-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info Switeck, I shall visit those sites this evening.

Thanks Musleman, my understanding of XP repair is, that having booted from cd and selected repair, the repair function will automatically run. I tried it a few times prior to re-installing XP but it just dumped me into the C prompt!
I believe this may have occurred becuase my XP system restore utility was damaged when I aborted the installation of a Kazzaa download accelerator(Ad supported, I believe) that, ironically, was obtained via a link from the KL Homepage!
I think it is worth giving repair function another try, but not having seen it run successfully I would appreciate a 'walk through'or a confimation that my understanding is correct.

MUSLEMAN
02-04-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by ninjaken@3 February 2004 - 17:25
Thanks for the info Switeck, I shall visit those sites this evening.

Thanks Musleman, my understanding of XP repair is, that having booted from cd and selected repair, the repair function will automatically run. I tried it a few times prior to re-installing XP but it just dumped me into the C prompt!
I believe this may have occurred becuase my XP system restore utility was damaged when I aborted the installation of a Kazzaa download accelerator(Ad supported, I believe) that, ironically, was obtained via a link from the KL Homepage!
I think it is worth giving repair function another try, but not having seen it run successfully I would appreciate a 'walk through'or a confimation that my understanding is correct.
well the first prompt you get for repair you don't choose instead you choose install then it will take you to a second screen this time it will show you the prartition to repair on the bottom of the screen,now you high light the partition you want to repair then you choose "r" for repair :lol:

ninjaken
02-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks Musleman,
I shall try it this evening, run KL overnight and see what happens.

ninjaken
02-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi All,
XP's repair function hung while 'Installing Devices' . About 60% through this process I got a popup stating 'unregmp2.exe - ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND' with the message 'The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL'. I cannot get past this point! If I reboot, XP Repair simply resumes from it's boot point and stops at the popup. I have run XP Repair a second time with the same result. :(
I am currently communicating with Microsoft to try and resolve this issue!

Comments welcome

ninjaken
03-08-2004, 08:40 PM
After a protracted exchange with Microsoft, they were unable to come up an answer, their solution is to perform a clean install! :huh:

Having done this a number of times previously without correcting the problem, I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft have produced a faulty copy of XP <_< (there may be more in use out there&#33;).

I have since performed a clean install from a different copy of XP and have loaded the same 3rd party software as my previous setup. Guess what?....... THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED&#33; :)

ninjaken

Switeck
03-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by ninjaken@8 March 2004 - 15:40
Having done this a number of times previously without correcting the problem, I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft have produced a faulty copy of XP <_< (there may be more in use out there&#33;).
Could be a very slightly scratched cd. A single bitflip (1->0 or 0->1) scratch on a &#39;key&#39; file can make Windows unuseable.