PDA

View Full Version : Confused With All These New Versions..

§lim§hady
01-31-2004, 08:31 PM
I haven't been paying much attention for the past month or two so I'm very confused.

I'm still running K++ 2.4.3. Now I see all these different versions since the death of K++. Clean Kazaa, Kazaalite Resurection, etc...

What happened to K++, why did it die?

What are the advantages of the newer products over 2.4.3?

Thanks for any help in filling me in on whats happened.

Xero Grid
02-01-2004, 05:45 AM
The client is still fine and there are still plenty of ways to get it, but the original site was shut down "you know who."

Well, basically, K++ wasn't it's own program. It had other programs incorporated into the installer, and you had a choice of what to install. Well, since the last official release, those programs have been updated, like KaNAT, K-Sig, K-Dat, and so on.

Some new releases, like KaZaa Lite Resurection try to integrate those updates into the installer so you don't have to doeverything by hand, but KLR is more than that. Some of the defaults have been changed, ect.

Now, there's still being work done on K-Lite 2.6, to keep up with KMD 2.6 which Sharman Networks put out and tried to lock out the K++ users. In my opinion, it didn't work.

The 2.6 lite versions are all still in testing stages, and don't nearly have asa many features as the one you're using, and the names keep changing. And, some of the greatest programmers that worked on K++ are gone. They abandoned it because there is simply better out there, so everything is slow on new releases.

There seems to be one last official called 2.4.4, but if you're not having trouble connecting like a few people are, then don't worry about it.

If you're curious, then try Bit Torrent. A great protocol for transfering files, and the clients are legal.

-- Xero Grid --

§lim§hady
02-01-2004, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the awesome summary. What do all the pros think about shareaza? I've been using it quite a bit, combines bittorrent and edonkey/emule all in one shell.

Xero Grid
02-01-2004, 06:47 AM
I hear a lot of people downing it. Saying it has slow speeds. And others promoting others like Mammoth, this open source multi fast track client.

But all the pros seem to be focusing on individual programs rather than the all-in-one solution....

As for myself, lately I've been using just BT. I keep K++ for getting really rare files and experimenting and stuff. I was making my own updater for myself, but I'm not quite done.

Well, if you're still curious, there's a whole other section just for Shareaza.

-- Xero Grid --