PDA

View Full Version : Ringtones On The Net

SeK612
01-31-2004, 10:22 PM
How do the sites which you ring or text to recieve ringtones and stuff work? Is it the server that actually sends out the file or is it a seperate machine which they activate after you contact them? Also are there any big sites which work from which you can download polyphonic ringtones but don't cost £6 to download?

browser
02-01-2004, 12:02 AM
not sure how they work but if you go to www.phunkyphones.net and play the ringtone, take a note of the ringtone number and then search for it on your computer. Then you can transfer it to your mobile

cwctv
02-01-2004, 12:08 AM
Oh browser THATS cheating but that's how I do it. ;)
Of course you do need a cable this way.

NightStalker
02-01-2004, 02:00 AM
MIDI files work great. :smilie4:

browser
02-01-2004, 11:06 AM
you don't need a cable if u use infrared, or if u get free wap on your phone (or would rather use wap for ringtones) u get the software Coding Workshop Ringtone Converter which acts as a wap server

SeK612
02-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tried a infa-red connection. The phone can communicate with the P.C fine but I'm not sure how to get the ringtone onto it. I used the software that came with it (a sound conveter program that allows you to save to Hard Drive or phone) but it gave errors when I try the transfer. Is there another way? Is there any 3rd party software that could tranfer the file across?

browser
02-01-2004, 09:45 PM
do you mean with or without wap?

dudevenezuela
02-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Can i get ringtones form any website even if I'm from another country?

Or do i have to download ringtone from websites that match with my cell phone service provider?

SeK612
02-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by browser@1 February 2004 - 22:45
do you mean with or without wap?
Does it matter? I was trying to do it without wap (just by directly connecting P.C and Phone). The P.C and software was decting the phone but they were struggling to actually send the file :(

Or do i have to download ringtone from websites that match with my cell phone service provider?

I thought the did you could download ringtones from any site that had them for your phone. Dunno about different countries though.

neevakee
02-01-2004, 11:03 PM
what model is your phone?

zacspeed
02-02-2004, 07:58 AM
Try:
http://www.free-ringtones-free-logos.com/
I'm not spamming 4 them, but they are the only free (cost of a normal txt message) site I've ever found ;)

shn
02-02-2004, 08:31 AM
http://tagtag.com/

All the ringtones are free and all your phone has to be able to do is connect to the internet. Use the browser on your phone to go to tag tag site and then enter the code of the ringtone you want and it will download it to your phone. The site gets overloaded sometimes and if you want you can even set up your own wap enabled site through tag atg and download the ringtones directly from your wap site. They have instructions on their site on how to set up a wap site and/or download ringtones.

Its best to get the codes on their site using a regular pc, write them down and then got to tag tag on your phone that way you will take less time being on the net on your phone if you already have the codes written down. :)

SeK612
02-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Both sites (tagtag and freeringtones) work. Is it possible to get ringtones of the same quality of those that came with the phone. Whilst the one I got was fine (it only cost 15p or something instead of the £3 my network charges) it's a bit quieter than the ones that came with the phone (it is a quiet sort of ringtone though). Is this always the case with downloaded/transfered ringtones (they're slightly infeior)? Also if you put your number into sites (like I did in the freeringtones one before I relised you didn't have too) does that open you up to spam like you get if you put your real email in forms on the web?

SlipSwitch
02-03-2004, 07:50 AM
that tagtag site is kickass
good one shn :)