PDA

View Full Version : Tales Of An Overclocker

_John_Lennon_
02-01-2004, 05:59 AM
Hiya guys, and well, the board has had no new posts in about the past 2 hours, which is suprising for this board, so I decided to start my own.

Anyway, so I have 4 days left to activate my windows XP. The Cd key I used wont activate anymore because I over used it (go figure :huh: ) Anyway, instead I use a cracking program that I got off of kazaa. The only downside to this cracking program is that if I have to reset my cmos, or if im overclocking and I over do it to the point whree Windows screws up, it somehow trips the anit non activation software that it has. Which means, it locks me out of windows. So I have to do a complete fresh install (not just a reinstall) to get back into my windows.

But I digress, anyway my WU just finished so I decided to do a bit of overclocking to set my system at permantly, well, until I get that new ram fro ScimanAl :rolleyes: Or some other reason. Through my trials I have found the following things,

1. My Geil 3200Ram in my sig, will not go above 204FSB and boot to windows. Or, atleast the resulting memory frequency atleast. If I choose a 4:5 ratio on my ram, and set my ram at 200 FSB, making the result frequency 240FSB on my ram, it of course if I tone it down to something that results in a 205FSB or so, it still will not boot, so I am left to try other things.

2. My Multiplier is coming in handy, I am currently running at 12 x 188 FSB = 2265 and it looks like it might be stable. It booted to windows atleast, and it completed atleast one step in my current F@H Work unit.

3. Reseting CMOS is hard in the dark. Thus, I think im going to paint my cmos jumper with glow in the dark paint or something, dont know you.

Well anyway, im off to up the FSB more, hopefully get 2.4Ghz with any luck. but 2.3 and stable would be nice. Cross your fingers for me.

clocker
02-01-2004, 06:06 AM
John, you should make yourself a external clear CMOS switch like I did.
I got the switch from RadioShack for about 3 bucks. Took about 5 minutes to wire and install and viola! no more opening up the case and picking at a teeny tiny jumper!

_John_Lennon_
02-01-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by clocker@1 February 2004 - 01:06
I got the switch from RadioShack for about 3 bucks. Took about 5 minutes to wire and install and viola! no more opening up the case and picking at a teeny tiny jumper!
Explain what kind of switch you got, and which wires you placed to which ends on the mobo, how did you secure the ends, etc. it is a simple SPST switch? I'll probably try it when I get my new case.

Also, board would boot at 12.5 x 192 but wouldnt go to windows. board wont boot at all at 13 x 188.

But I did manage to get it to boot 12.5 x 187 = 2334Mhz Checking to see if its stable folding as of now.

Virtualbody1234
02-01-2004, 06:17 AM
How far can you go if you just up the FSB and leave the multiplier at 11 ?

_John_Lennon_
02-01-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@1 February 2004 - 01:17
How far can you go if you just up the FSB and leave the multiplier at 11 ?
205 and it wont boot.
204 and it BSOD during windows load
203 and it loads to windows, and crashes WU right away
202 and it crashes WU's around 80%
201 Seems fine.

Yeah, The Ram, CPU, and Case are the oldest things in my system right now that I bought with building my computer in mind. The CPU was from the suggestion of the AMDMB guys, after having duped by the celeron line. The ram, was 3200 like they suggested, but it was pretty much the cheapest on newegg. (its about 76 dollars right now, blue heat spreader, 512MB, Geil, usually on their front page.) Im getting a new case soon, so the Ram would be next in line to go.

I'll brb, going to test the FSB a bit more on this 12.5 level, and maybe lower the V abit, or see if i can, im at 1.8V right now. :(

bigdawgfoxx
02-01-2004, 06:26 AM
So you can only overclock your ram 1Mhz? wierd..

_John_Lennon_
02-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@1 February 2004 - 01:26
So you can only overclock your ram 1Mhz? wierd..
haha, well, Its DDR Ram, and its overclockable ram, but, they dont always gurantee that its overclockable at all.

Btw, BSOD in windows at 12.5 x 189

Got thinks at 12.5 x 187 right now = 2350Mhz. Lets see if she holds.

Virtualbody1234
02-01-2004, 06:35 AM
_John_Lennon_ Check your PM.

_John_Lennon_
02-01-2004, 06:38 AM
PMed ya back.

EDIT: Phew, I BSOD'ed again with seconds of posting this before. So I backed off the multi to 12, and upped the FSB to 192 I believe. which is around 2337Mhz, lets see if she holds now.

abu_has_the_power
02-01-2004, 06:50 AM
doing 3.2 with my current stuff at 30 idle. not sure bout load yet. just finally got my windows working

clocker
02-01-2004, 01:31 PM
John, this is the switch...
http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/275/275-695.jpg.
On my board the 3 pin CMOS header is identical to a 3 wire fan header so that's exactly what I used. The center CMOS pin connects to the center terminal of the switch and the two outside pins go to the two outside terminals. It's really quite intuitive.
When your done, flipping the rockerswitch does exactly the same thing as moving the jumper.
You might want to find a semi-out of the way place to put it so you don't accidentally clear CMOS while reaching for the reset button or the like...

Livy
02-01-2004, 01:41 PM
so a spdt switch then. the only thing with that though is that you may accidentally boot with the clear cmos in place.

can anything happen with boards booting with it in place.

would a double throw push switch not be better, so when in normal position, the buttion is up, and when u push it contacts the clear cmos.

edit link (http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040125122253474&moduleno=35033&Products=1)

i know its a bit big, but im sure there would be smaller versions,

clocker
02-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Livy,
My switch has 6 terminals ( three sets of two) and I used the second set to activate a small LED when the switch is in clear position. The light runs off a 9v transistor radio battery.
I'm sure there are better ways to do this...I'm not an electronics whiz, but this worked for me. It was very useful when I first clocked my chip...since then I haven't touched it.

Livy
02-01-2004, 02:02 PM
i kinda thought of another way too, not sure how easy it would be to do, but when its in clear cmos position, it disconnects the on switch terminal, so u cant switch it on while in the clear cmos position

atiVidia
02-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+1 February 2004 - 01:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 1 February 2004 - 01:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@1 February 2004 - 01:06
I got the switch from RadioShack for about 3 bucks. Took about 5 minutes to wire and install and viola&#33; no more opening up the case and picking at a teeny tiny jumper&#33;
Explain what kind of switch you got, and which wires you placed to which ends on the mobo, how did you secure the ends, etc. it is a simple SPST switch? I&#39;ll probably try it when I get my new case.

Also, board would boot at 12.5 x 192 but wouldnt go to windows. board wont boot at all at 13 x 188.

But I did manage to get it to boot 12.5 x 187 = 2334Mhz Checking to see if its stable folding as of now. [/b][/quote]
i like the red trigger switch (the one on the joysticks where you flip the cover and hit the red button) those look cool

lol u kno i can give u my corporate edition copy of XP so u wont need to activate it (uses the key that starts with FCKGW-blahblahblah)

my tales of an overclocker: i almosed killed my cpu on a passive thermalright heatpipe heatsink (OCed to 2800 from a 2400 chip)

a tip for all: if the p4 chip you have is made in malaysia, u have an awesome chip which can overclock easily. the malaysia chips are high quality

the costa rican chips are the worst

SciManAl
02-01-2004, 03:16 PM
sry, this post pissed poeple off, so i removed it

_John_Lennon_
02-01-2004, 11:15 PM
You&#39;ve gotten the FSB to be at 350? , which would actually mean 4200Mhz.......

SciManAl
02-01-2004, 11:55 PM

_John_Lennon_
02-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by SciManAl@1 February 2004 - 18:55
Oops sorry bad math...
No I dont doubt your math, but 4200Mhz seems a bit high for an AMD CPU.

What is the highest in terms of Ghz you have gotten your CPU to boot at?

SciManAl
02-02-2004, 03:59 AM

adamp2p
02-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+1 February 2004 - 16:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 1 February 2004 - 16:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SciManAl@1 February 2004 - 18:55
Oops sorry bad math...

What is the highest in terms of Ghz you have gotten your CPU to boot at? [/b][/quote]
Like I said before, John, I can smell BS from a mile away...

Remember recently when I was asking folks to post "proof" that they were actually owned their said systems? This is a good time to ask a member to prove it.

I do not believe for a second that scimanal has an AMD CPU at close to or near 5 or even 4 GHz. And he is very quickly pissing me off and losing my respect.

If it is true Scimanal, then prove it by downloading and installing Aquamark3. (http://download.guru3d.com/aquamark3/)

After you install it, register at their forums. Then you have free access to the comparison ARC. Simply run the benchmark, and as soon as it completes, push submit and you should be able to figure out how to post to this forum the results of your benchmark. Until then I declare you FOS. <_<

DWk
02-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Figures <_<

Mad Cat
02-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p+2 February 2004 - 07:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 2 February 2004 - 07:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@1 February 2004 - 16:15
<!--QuoteBegin-SciManAl@1 February 2004 - 18:55
Oops sorry bad math...

What is the highest in terms of Ghz you have gotten your CPU to boot at?
Like I said before, John, I can smell BS from a mile away...

Remember recently when I was asking folks to post "proof" that they were actually owned their said systems? This is a good time to ask a member to prove it.

I do not believe for a second that scimanal has an AMD CPU at close to or near 5 or even 4 GHz. And he is very quickly pissing me off and losing my respect.

If it is true Scimanal, then prove it by downloading and installing Aquamark3. (http://download.guru3d.com/aquamark3/)

After you install it, register at their forums. Then you have free access to the comparison ARC. Simply run the benchmark, and as soon as it completes, push submit and you should be able to figure out how to post to this forum the results of your benchmark. Until then I declare you FOS. <_< [/b][/quote]
Maybe its too unstable to do anything proper with.

SciManAl
02-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Dude will 3dmark doo?? agaumark is unstable&#33;, it crashes&#33; why would anyine use it over something like mark03, or mark01 etc??

Keikan
02-03-2004, 05:33 AM
What do I have to say about overclocking?

Abit CPU Soft Menu rules&#33;&#33;&#33;

pc-gamer-dude
02-03-2004, 05:58 AM
my system memory (kingston valueram pc2700 256mb) is rated to run at 2.5-4-4-8 at 166mhz, and i have it running at 2.5-3-3-6 at 200mhz. making my processor (athlon xp2500+) run at 3200+ speeds. if only i had faster memory. well soon im gonna have more fans, and hopefully lower temps. maybe ill be able to get anout 10-20mhz out of my memory. oh yeah and soon im gettin another stick of memory (friday).

SciManAl
02-04-2004, 02:09 AM
btw, what is a POS??? sry, really slow with the acronyms etc...

i really never thought i was pissing anyone off, i am sorry for whatever damages i have caused and shall not speek of it again if it irritates you THAT much... really want everyone to be happy here...

I can post 3dmark, but as stated earlier, Aqaumark has proven difficult to run on my computer, if that is the only proof you accept then i guess i can only accept your label of a me being a "POS"... Sry guys

callum
02-04-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by SciManAl@4 February 2004 - 01:09
I can post 3dmark, but as stated earlier, Aqaumark has proven difficult to run on my computer, if that is the only proof you accept then i guess i can only accept your label of a me being a "POS"... Sry guys
I think 3dmark would be ok, I think they just want too see results that are published on-line which can not be edited by you.

SciManAl
02-04-2004, 02:26 AM
I think 3dmark would be ok, I think they just want too see results that are published on-line which can not be edited by you.

my thoughts as well, i never thought this would be so controversial... but then allot of things are... <_<
tommorrow i wil be out wardriveing... so i will run it solid today and tommorrow for scores etc, and publish it... i will with full functionality shown bey the multi day run that my CPU is over 4200+ equivelent( i think that measurement is so messed up... <_< )... or somewhere over 3.0-3.6ghz...

callum
02-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by SciManAl@4 February 2004 - 01:26

my thoughts as well, i never thought this would be so controversial... but then allot of things are... <_<
tommorrow i wil be out wardriveing... so i will run it solid today and tommorrow for scores etc, and publish it... i will with full functionality shown bey the multi day run that my CPU is over 4200+ equivelent( i think that measurement is so messed up... <_< )... or somewhere over 3.0-3.6ghz...
I think people would be happy just to see the results of it running once, as it would show what speed you are running at.