PDA

View Full Version : Security Of Kl In Univ Netwk

atv
02-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Hi,
good and inromative forum, thnx for all the helps, tips.

question:
using kl in large univ. netw. with zone alarm in stealth mode with wlan connection,
what can be discovered on me. esp. that the wlan pass is similar one (!) for all the users.
they can see the address of the wlan card, and probably the name of the machine, what i change frequently.
i dl pr** and naturally would not like to be harmed.

thnx in advance

MUSLEMAN
02-02-2004, 12:28 AM
the university can get what ever info they want from you

atv
02-02-2004, 09:13 AM
OK, let's make it clear:

given a large univ netw, thousands of users. users with their ordinary mail pswd can login to a site where they can get the common, single pswd for the wlan netw. hundreds can check that daily and the pswd is not changing for months.

then, there is my comp. given with zone alarm on highest alert. on most online check the test were not able to reveal even the name of the comp. sometimes they could check the opsys version. that was all.

then i do not behave particularly wrong: mainly using kazaa.

what can be revealed then? (except they can come and get me, but i do not really believe in that.)

(this letter was written from somewh else, the ip is not the one i discuss.)

MUSLEMAN
02-02-2004, 11:24 AM
you firewall has nothing to do with your admins firewall and they can easily see your bandwidth and what is going on

atv
02-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Yes, u are right. They see at least the filenames and sizes i suppose. And? The question is, that _who_ is going on. What do they see from that?

MUSLEMAN
02-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by atv@2 February 2004 - 07:31
Yes, u are right. They see at least the filenames and sizes i suppose. And? The question is, that _who_ is going on. What do they see from that?
they see your ip and what your ip does

atv
02-02-2004, 02:02 PM
and what is my ip in a wlan system: i think it is randomly given. It is not something connected to a certain pc, it is connected to a connection, isn't it?

MUSLEMAN
02-03-2004, 12:22 AM
ok boss :lol: it sounds like you have already made up your mind that you are safe and i'm not getting anywhere, so good luck :lol: :lol:

Switeck
02-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by atv@2 February 2004 - 09:02
and what is my ip in a wlan system: i think it is randomly given. It is not something connected to a certain pc, it is connected to a connection, isn't it?
Yes, the university may randomly assign your ip address. But they still know what it is!

And if you're generating 100+ KB/sec internet activities 24/7, they can EASILY spot that using simple administrative tools.

atv
02-03-2004, 12:30 PM
yes, they def.ly know what's are the files.
but unfort.ly i can not generate 24/7 activity, it is rather occasional in this wlan-system.
anybody with experience or enough knowledge on systems?

MUSLEMAN
02-03-2004, 12:50 PM
you mean you want somebody else to tell you that you are not safe??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :frusty:

NotoriousBIC
02-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Using packet sniffers, they can only recognize unencrypted and unpackaged files.
That means that movie/picture/sound files are easily recognized.
Zip/rar/CD-image files are not.

MUSLEMAN
02-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by NotoriousBIC@3 February 2004 - 09:12
Using packet sniffers, they can only recognize unencrypted and unpackaged files.
lol i belive its the first time i have seen you hear boss :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Switeck
02-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by NotoriousBIC@3 February 2004 - 08:12
About all the unversity will easily see with packet sniffers is packet type and possibly the filename of what's being sent IF the packets are unencrpyted. Even packaged files such as Zip/RAR/CD-images will reveal their filenames that way.

It is more difficult to extract the filesize information unless the overlay protocol (ie: the fasttrack network layer) is semi-known. If they're snooping even to that level, (finding out filesizes/hashes/etc about files being shared) they pretty much have thrown privacy out the window.

NotoriousBIC
02-03-2004, 03:20 PM
They have to be lucky to catch the filename, but you're right it IS possible.

And don't worry, most university networks don't have the time, nor money/resources to go snooping around people's downloads.

@Musleman: What's that supposed to mean and what's the relevancy to this thread?

atv
02-03-2004, 03:24 PM
sorry, muscleman, it was nothing personal. somehow, my understanding was slower than ur quick thoughts and i wanted some more detailed explanation.

and truly, they see what the hack is coming down. def.ly there is more stuff, like movies, music, etc. which is not the 'proper use'. and what do they see? this is my question. do they see my face or my name? they supposedly see a random ip, a wlan card number and a comp name... what is that? they can follow my other netbehaviour but i am rather conscious with that.

i again add, that the netw name and the key to join to the netw is almost public: everybody with valid univ pasws can see it and it is one and same for everyone. so? a friend said for that: hacker-paradise.

MUSLEMAN
02-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by NotoriousBIC@3 February 2004 - 11:20
@Musleman: What's that supposed to mean and what's the relevancy to this thread?

just agreeing with what you said and saying its good to see you hear thats all

WhiteAngel
02-03-2004, 10:52 PM
If it's a smaller university 5000-7000, I would suggest no matter what you be very careful. I know people that have had privliages taken away on first offense, and I know repeat offenders being kicked out of school for it. So I guess the decison is yours, but I doubt a few files is worth your higher education.

Steven

Switeck
02-04-2004, 08:44 AM
It's important to not register as a 'bandwidth hog' on the sysadmin's monitoring programs.

This means try to keep your download use WELL under 100 KB/sec... at least most of the time, but especially during 8 AM-4 PM hours.
Also keep upload speeds under 20 KB/sec -- but please share at least a little.

Another thing is to keep number of connections at once low. If you have 100 connections going at once due to running multiple BitTorrents at once, you will be triggering probable alarm bells with the sysadmins... and may be hearing from them soon because of it!

atv
02-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies! This is exactly the kind of discussion (and belive me muscle - not the answer) I was waiting for. (M: I have recently seen The Enemy of the State - fine movie, but let us keep to reality.)
I got the point that sysadmin is mainly concerned to keep the bandwith clear in daytime. (I do not have a chance to make problems, sometimes study has to be go further.)
Am I right to assume then that it is rather hard to find out who is on the other end of the line. (Yeah, forget to say, that I use a notebook in one name with wlan, in an other name with modem in the same netw. In the second case a personal usrn/pswd assigned to me - that is of course my 'fingerprint'.)
Of course two bad things can happen. There is naturally, the personal 'inquery': coming and checking around in usage time in this certain, since wlan - rather small space. And 2nd probably it is possible to ban the wlan card using it certain id-number.
What do you think?