PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Crash Whith .ogm Files

NotoriousBIC
02-01-2004, 05:18 PM
I installed the KL Codec Pack 2.20 full version (tought it was time for an update, my mistake...)
And I noticed a rather annoying problem.
When opening a folder with several .ogm files in thumbnail view it will only load the thumbnail of the first movie and then Explorer.exe will crash:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Error Signature:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1221 ModName: ole32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1263 Offset: 0001213e

My Google results only pointed to a problem with DivX 5.11 beta and Overlay Extended Mode being enabled, which is off by default.

Hope somebody can help...

Entity101
02-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Try the 2.24 test version.

NotoriousBIC
02-01-2004, 08:39 PM
I'm only aware of the 2.21 test version.
Or am I missing something completely?

NotoriousBIC
02-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Well, I tried the 2.21 RC19 version. Same thing happens.

I know the simple workaround is not using thumbnails (and indeed I normally don't), but it's still a rather annoying problem.

NotoriousBIC
02-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Bumpettieebump :helpsmile:

Entity101
02-02-2004, 01:53 PM
2.24RC5 is the latest, see codec development.

Possible fix:

Found a horrible bug in Windows XP. Explorer has a feature where it scans any AVI files found in the current directory for metadata, such as height, width and length. The problem is that if there's a corrupt AVI - such as a partially downloaded file - Windows will attempt to scan the entire file by loading it into memory. You'll know this happens when you browse to a local directory and suddenly your machine grinds to a halt and starts swapping to disk like crazy (even with gobs of RAM). Luckily it's an easy fix. In the registry, navigate to the key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
And delete the default value (which is one of those ungodly CLSID hex numbers).
I don't have XP, so I can't test it.

NotoriousBIC
02-02-2004, 01:55 PM
I already edited the property handler. And it's avi only.

I must be blind or something cause I only found the 2.21 version on the testbuilds site.

I'll have another look.

edit: ok found it, but the links aren't working.

NotoriousBIC
02-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Ok, I tried the 2.24 rc5 version and the same thing happens.

I'll have a look at different Ogg Vorbis codecs and see what happens.

mr. nails
02-02-2004, 11:44 PM
i've got the same problem, but it doesn't happen just if i use thumbnails. it happens if i even click on a ogg file. not open it up mind u. just one click on the file. hrmmm.

NotoriousBIC
02-03-2004, 12:15 AM
I confirm your problem mr. nails. It happens to me also. Now it's getting annoying...

mr. nails
02-03-2004, 01:06 AM
i uninstalled all my individual codecs and tried this kazaalite 2.20full (to see if it's gotten any better) and i get that problem. i uninstalled that kazaalite pack and installed my individual codecs and now nothing works. wtf? well, i put the kazaalite pack back on and will wait it out. this isn't the only time i've had probs with klite pack either. along time ago i tried an early ver and i got blue screens a lot. and today i also tried the 2.10 ver and it didn't play anything at all. hum. guess i'm stuck with 2.20 until i find something that works or i format. damn codecs! :angry:

Pitbul
02-03-2004, 01:19 AM
i get this error even if i just open a folder with a avi file even if it isn't thumbnailed

mr. nails
02-03-2004, 01:24 AM
ok, i just tried the 2.24 and not only is the failure still there. it also played my bubblegum crisis 2040 upside down (which is ogg). lol, wtf? lol. anyway, went back to 2.20 and that's it. tired of restarting.

Xero Grid
02-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Hmm... these sound pretty strange. Could it be a registry problem? Has anyone tried uninstalling all codec packs and cleaning the registry, restarting and the reinstalling?

RegSeeker (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm)
NTRegOpt (http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/)

Maybe someone could try the latest Mega Codec Pack. I've had no trouble with it. It also has an option for a bugfix for the 2.20 K-Lite Codec Pack. Maybe that will help with the .avi problem.

What programs are associated with .OMG for whoever is having the problem? If it's Media Player Classic, then maybe the built-in Ogg filter should be deactivated.

-- Xero Grid --

NotoriousBIC
02-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Cleaned the reg (always try that when I run into a bug). Association is set to WMP 9.
Avis and mpegs don't have this problem, nor does this problem happen if there's a single .ogm file in the folder.

I had no problems whatsoever with the 2.11 pack. (*sigh* sic fractum non sit, noli id reficere)

Entity101
02-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Picture upsidedown:

* Right-click DVobSub trayicon (if present) and select 'flip picture'
* Go to the XviD decoder properties and flip the picture

Also try version 2.24 when you have troubles. You can get it here: http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=88210

NotoriousBIC
02-03-2004, 12:55 PM
That still doesn't solve the explorer crash Error403

Entity101
02-03-2004, 05:26 PM
It's probably a bug in the .ogg filters. Nothing that I can do about it.

Using classic folder view is the only solution.

Cosmos
02-21-2004, 09:48 PM
I confirm I also receive this explorer crash error but not with .ogm files, it is generally with .mpg and .avi. The crash is down to codecs, I uninstalled all my codec present on the system and there was no crash, went to install the mega codec pack again and it crashed, I have also chosen a variety of different codecs when given the option to choose for them to be installed. I have found that there is no problem with the general codecs like Divx, Xvid and 3vix but the problem could relay in one of the other codecs in the package.

Entity101
02-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Perhaps DivX Anti-Freeze is causing it?
Or one of the other filters like Matrix Mixer?

Arucard
02-21-2004, 11:10 PM
download vlc player. plays these files fine bro. ;)

Cosmos
02-22-2004, 11:06 PM
No Crashing Now, all but MPEG-2 [Decoding] are selected.

eerrrr
02-24-2004, 07:42 PM
I got this problem too. Even with PropertyHandles removed from the registry, Explorer insisted on producing a shot of the .ogm and crashing.
However, I don't care about screenshots, so I went to Run and typed "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll". That stops Explorer from reading any multimedia, except images, meaning no crashes. However, it also means no info such as Author, Bitrate, Video Size, etc on videos and MP3s.
Sometimes when I want to use the Details view when searching through MP3s I enable it again with "regsvr32 shmedia.dll".

Try it out. :)

Jcubed
03-01-2004, 06:07 PM
I don't remember when this problem started but I had it with a few verisions including 1.00

1.01beta1 has fixed the problem for me so try it out.