PDA

View Full Version : Region Free For Dvd Player

browser
02-01-2004, 10:52 PM
not sure if this should go here or even in this forum.

I have a Sony DAV S500 and on dvdrhelp the region free hack is as follows;

1. Build a Windows 95 boot disk. (If you're not on 95, you can get an '.exe' file from the web which will build one. You need to search Google for 'Windows 95 boot disk')
2. Download Winsamp here: http://www.veg.nildram.co.uk/remote13.zip This program will emulate an IR remote on your laptop.
3. Extract the package onto the bootable DOS floppy disk. (this step is very important).
4. Download this IR code file and place it in the same directory as the package above. This file holds the five necessary IR codes converted to the format used by winsamp.exe. http://www.selen.org/files/REMOTE.TXT
5. Next you need to find out what COM port your IR is on. If you know, great. If not, the help in the 'zip' above will tell you the IO address locations which correspond to each COM port. You can then use your BIOS config menu or PC user manual to tell you what the IO address is and the the info from the zip to give you the COM port.
6. Boot up your PC from the floppy disk and run winsamp.exe. If your IR port isn't COM2 you may override this by using an appropriate command line switch. For example, use COM1 by running 'winsamp C1'
7. Press the 'r' key to load up the codes from the REMOTE.TXT file into Winsamp.
8. Turn on the Player. Just as it starts, hold "Display" and "Stop" and and while keeping them pressed turn the volume knob to the right.
9. The screen will flash a few times and then a service menu will appear. Now back to the laptop....
10. You will see that the buttons 1 to 5 in the Winsamp screen are purple which means that they are usable. Press Enter with button 1 highlighted then button 2 etc up to 5. (Navigate with the arrow keys). After using some of the buttons (certainly button 1), you will see a cursor flash on the TV near the bottom left of the Service Menu. You can use this to check if the laptop is talking to the player properly. Let this stop flashing before pressing the next button. Alternatively, use buttons 1-5 about 10 seconds apart to be safe. The 'Data Reset' message will briefly appear in the TV (in my case after button 4, but I still pressed button 5).
11. Switch off the power to the player.
12. Unplug the player for 5-10 seconds.
13. Plug in and play any region!! (I had a UK machine, i.e. region 2 and have tested a US, region 1 DVD which played fine. From the messages above I'm pretty sure other regions will also be fine.)

now the The software part of this is what does the 95 boot cd do? does it reset my OS? or is it temporary? Also does this seem like a proper hack?

I realise that hacking is not allowed on this forum but it is actually legal to post DVD codes on websites.

vivitron 15
02-01-2004, 11:02 PM
what i think this is is you are hacking the firmware of the dvd player - kinda editing the software on it...you need to boot to dos to do it like this...i had a link to another way of doing it with a program called LtnFlash - ill try to find it in the next ten mins for you - see if i can get it to work

anyhow, in the meantime, theres a software app called DVD Region Free which i use - i think it works on any...this wouldnt involve screwing around with the drive itself, which invalidates the warranty and could screw it up (though prob not if you follow any instructions word for word)

will take a look for ya

vivitron 15
02-01-2004, 11:31 PM
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=15224&highlight=s500

this may interest you - something about a laptop IR port?

anyhow, its up to you...either take a look around on the forum at that link (the mecca of firmware) or just use the software i said - this is what i would do, if i were you.

Im off to upgrade my firmware in order to have an 8 spin dual burner (woohooo, didnt know theyd finished it till just now :) )

browser
02-01-2004, 11:42 PM
thanks a lot.

The forum says

1. Download Winsamp here: http://www.veg.nildram.co.uk/remote13.zip
This program will emulate an IR remote on your laptop
2. Extract the package onto a bootable DOS floppy disk. (this step is very important, I tried to use the software directly out of Windows before, but without success)
3. Download this IR code file and place it in the same directory as the package above. This file holds the five necessary IR codes converted to the format used by winsamp.exe. http://www.selen.org/files/REMOTE.TXT 4. Boot up your PC from the floppy disk and run winsamp.exe. If your IRDA port doesn't appear as COM2 you may override this by using an appropriate command line switch. For example, use COM1 by running 'winsamp C1'.
5. Press the 'r' key to load up the codes into winsamp.
6. Turn on the Player.
7. Hold down "Display" and "Stop" and and while keeping them pressed turn the volume knob to the right. Service IN mode should appear. (there's no need to hold "Prev" and it doesn't need to show "Mecha Lock", when it shows "SERVICE IN" you're ready to go) 8. Make sure your DVD player is in "Service IN" mode and your IRDA port is within range. 9. Run the IR codes from 1 to 5 by pressing Enter on each corresponding button. 10. Your DVD player should now display "DATA RESET".
11. Press the power button on the player remote.
12. Plug it out for 5-10 seconds.
13. Start it again, and play your region 1 ect. discs !!

But i still don't know how to

2. Extract the package onto a bootable DOS floppy disk. (this step is very important, I tried to use the software directly out of Windows before, but without success)

or

Boot up your PC from the floppy disk and run winsamp.exe. If your IRDA port doesn't appear as COM2 you may override this by using an appropriate command line switch. For example, use COM1 by running 'winsamp C1'.

theres a software app called DVD Region Free

that only gets rid of protection of DVD ROM Drives. I'm trying to deal with standalone DVD Players