PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Disk Access

GoTGuy
02-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Hi all,

I just installed KaZaa Lite v2.4.3. I absolutely love it more than the regular KaZaa, however I am encountering a terrible problem. While KaZaa Lite is running, approximately every 2 1/2 minutes my hard drive starts accessing for about 7 minutes at a time and completely stalls the computer. My hard drive is defraged. I have Windows XP running on a Pentium 3 933MHz and 384 Mb of RAM. I never had this problem running the normal KaZaa program. Anyone have any suggestions? This only occurs while running KaZaa Lite.

Thanks,

Paul :helpsmile:

Java Boy
02-02-2004, 07:13 AM
I hope you uninstalled all that extra crap that comes bundled with that OTHER kazaa..that will cause you a lot of problems

edit:in kazaa options theres a box that says "check for new shared files every 300 seconds"...change the 300 to read 3000 or 30000..that way its not using resources every 3 minutes or so to check for new files..its a poofter tool that I cant see any good reason for being there.but hopefully someone will come along and explain the goodness behind this shite thing

MUSLEMAN
02-02-2004, 07:36 AM
first of all since you had kmd you need to do this :

save your shared files to a temp folder uninstall any version of kazaa you have, go to program files and delete any kazaa folder you see, go to c:drive>my shared folder delete that, delet your db folder, run adaware then install klite

if the problem continues after that let me know

ghost123uk
02-02-2004, 11:33 AM
I have got that problem back again tho on Windows 2000 pro.
The really annoying thing is =
I have had this problem before and fixed it but I can't remember how !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:
It seems quite common tho.
We will sort it out between us no doubt .............
Keep checking in here
JB

MUSLEMAN
02-02-2004, 12:28 PM
emmm its not realy common like that and there are very different possiblities for it, every case is different.

do what i said and let me know

ghost123uk
02-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi Muscleman
Just for the record......
My version of this problem re-appeared after a complete trash and re-build.
Seperate (entire) Hard drive used for sharing.
Disks thouroughly checked & defragged etc
Win2K Pro fully patched up to date.
Adaware - latest ref file
McAfee AV

A couple of workmates have same problem (I.T. BTW)

I will post as soon as I remember / figure it out the cure :)

JB

MUSLEMAN
02-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ghost123uk@2 February 2004 - 08:40
Hi Muscleman
Just for the record......
My version of this problem re-appeared after a complete trash and re-build.
Seperate (entire) Hard drive used for sharing.
Disks thouroughly checked & defragged etc
Win2K Pro fully patched up to date.
Adaware - latest ref file
McAfee AV

A couple of workmates have same problem (I.T. BTW)

I will post as soon as I remember / figure it out the cure :)

JB
lol you don't get it i already know the cure boss but i need to go thru them one by one to elaminate things.

now if you wanna fix for it do what i said, exactly as i said it, otherwise good luck

ghost123uk
02-02-2004, 01:41 PM
OK

now if you wanna fix for it do what i said, exactly as i said it, otherwise good luck
We have done your suggestions but not right yet.
Perhaps I should keep quiet now and just read on.... :01:

MUSLEMAN
02-02-2004, 01:54 PM
ive only suggested one or two things there are more but as i said one by one :lol:

GoTGuy
02-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Yes, I completely uninstalled the old KaZaa and ran Ad-Aware with the latest definitions before I installed KaZaa Lite. I will try changing the "Check for new shared files" value. Do you think using a value of 0 would turn it off completely? Anyway, I will let you know if that seems to work.

Thanks for all your posts! I'll check in here later.
:D

MUSLEMAN
02-03-2004, 12:16 AM
no in klite "0" is unlimited so set it to 1000 or 3000

also did you try empting your shared folder and see if this is still happening??

Java Boy
02-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Set it to 3000 like I said right from the start....its a useless feature but maybe Muscleman can explain the goodness of having it

MUSLEMAN
02-03-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Java Boy@2 February 2004 - 22:01
Set it to 3000 like I said right from the start....its a useless feature but maybe Muscleman can explain the goodness of having it
what it does is it updates the shared folder of what you are sharing

in other words when you open klite, it scans the shared folder and if you have 10 files (for example) it will share the 10 files.

now if you should add more files, lets say 5, to the shared folder they will not be added untill than scan runs and scans the shared folder then after it sees the 5 extra files they will be added, untill then you will be sharing 10 files, unless you close and open klite

Switeck
02-03-2004, 07:23 AM
Another thing to do if you haven't is to disable listing of your shared files by other users. They can still find and download your shared files from ordinary Kazaa/KL++ searches -- but can't get a list of ALL your shared files, thus preventing your computer from having to send a list of everything to someone... which may be what's causing the strange hdd accessing.