PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Qquestion, Please Help.!

johnm1969
02-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Okay you will probably roll your eyes and think this guy needs someone too hold his hand..but i have downloaded a few games that have one file..an .exe file which say it is the full game.. when I double click to open it a black screen (looks like an MSdos screen) appears for a second then nothing happens...how do I run the program...Have searched the forum including the Newbie file and cannot find the answer...HELP>>>!!!!! :frusty:

cpt_azad
02-02-2004, 05:00 PM
what's the filesize, did you dl it from kazaa? never download games from kazaa now, you have been warned (lots virus threats and possibilities). now, if the file size looks right say 700,000kb and up or somewhere in that area, you have a cd image. just rename the extension from exe to bin and make an additional cue file (very easy to make). then just burn the cue file with nero, and walla, the game is ready. this procedure might/will work because you said the file said FULL GAME, if it says rip, then i don't why the msdos screen comes up. the most important thing to do before downloading (especially when downloading software) is to check the filesize before downloading, doesn't matter how many ppl share it, just check the filesize!!!

HOW TO MAKE A CUE FILE: first of copy and paste the following into notepad and save as the filename of the bin exactly as the filename is then save as a .cue file. and make sure that this cue file is in the same folder/location as the bin file. include the quotations.

FILE "name of the bin file exactly as it is, make sure to put dashes (-) in between if the bin file has them.BIN"
BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00

example: i have mohaa spearhead cd images (bin), here's what the cue file would look like (note, the filenames could be totally different:

name of bin: Medal_of_Honor_Spearhead_Expansion_Pack.FLT.ShareReactor.BIN

CUE for this bin:

FILE "Medal_of_Honor_Spearhead_Expansion_Pack.FLT.ShareReactor.BIN"
BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00

johnm1969
02-02-2004, 05:09 PM
:) Thank you very much...In plain language as well...Wish there were more people as patient with newbies as you..again many thanks

longboneslinger
02-02-2004, 10:29 PM
The good Captain has the goods with one exception. It could be an .iso file. Ive hit this before. I changed the .exe to .iso and Nero burned me a good disk of Max Payne. If the first one doesn't work, try that.

You might also use Alcohol 120% to mount the image first and install it from the virtual cdrom. That way you don't burn a coaster.

h1
02-03-2004, 01:57 AM
It could be almost anything, try things like ZIP, RAR, stuff like that.

Although I highly doubt it as you would probably get an error.

cpt_azad
02-03-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by haxor41789@2 February 2004 - 17:57
It could be almost anything, try things like ZIP, RAR, stuff like that.

Although I highly doubt it as you would probably get an error.
absolutely correct. but since most files on kazaa that are "FULL GAMES" and are exe's are mostly bin's, but there are iso's zips and a whole bunch of other. so try experimenting with other extensions if changing the extension to bin doesn't work for you. also, don't download games from kazaa anymore, if you want you still can, but i recommend mIRC or Bittorrent (and if you want really slow speeds, emule). grab the bittorrent client (free download, look it up in google), then go to:

www.suprnova.org (http://www.suprnova.org) and if that site is down/doesn't work, change the ".org" to ".tk" . hope that helps. oh, and thanks for the praise :lol: B) . just remember, we were all n00bs at one point or another.