PDA

View Full Version : Networking Question

bigdawgfoxx
02-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Ok, I have my modem hooked up to my router, and my router hooked up to my brother and mines computer. Is that a network or what? Its connected with ethernet of course, but is there any way for me to be able to send him files directly through ethernet or do i need a program to network it?

On the computers at school when you click on my computer it shows like HDDs from all the comps..I want to be able to see the other computers HDD.

Livy
02-03-2004, 12:54 AM
go into network connctions in the control panel, and enable file sharing.

now go to the drive you wanna share, or folder, right click over it. and go to sharing. and tick that you wanna share it, and put in the share name. and give write acces if u wanna let someone write thing or delete.

then go to the other computer right click my computer, and map network drive. then browse for th folder, then do it the other way.

also make sure they are on the same workgroup.

bigdawgfoxx
02-03-2004, 12:58 AM
This I will try :)

How do I enable filesharing on the connection? lol

When I go to the other computer and click Map Network Drive it ask for the Drive letter and folder? Do I put in the Drive letter of the drive Im trying to share from the other computer or what? Both computers have a C: and D: drive, and it wont let me put D:. Also it ask for a folder..can I just make a new folder?

bigdawgfoxx
02-03-2004, 01:59 AM
help

Livy
02-03-2004, 02:01 AM
the format for network drives is in \\server\share

where server is the name of the computer, and the folder, is the name of the network folder.

lets say your computer is called bigdawg, and u shared your d drive as the name stuff the respective network path to that share would be

\\bigdawg\share\

u could also acces by typing it in the address bar of the other pc.

u enable it by ticking the boxes ion the setting for your network connection, if it isnt there u need to add the file and print service, by clickign install. and laso client service for microsoft networks if not already installed. this is assuming they are both winxp machines, it will be slightly diff for other system.

also makesure they are on the same workgroup,

edit: the drive letter is the drive letter you ant to use for the drive, and also tick the automatically connect at logon box to make sure its always there

bigdawgfoxx
02-03-2004, 03:23 AM
still confused as hell.

how do i know what my computer name is?

so I just make the share name \\bigdawg\share?

can u do it in more of a step by step i guess...im really lost by that.

Smurfette
02-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@3 February 2004 - 03:23
still confused as hell.

how do i know what my computer name is?

so I just make the share name \\bigdawg\share?

can u do it in more of a step by step i guess...im really lost by that.
If you tell us which versions of Windows you are using, you may get step-by-step help.

Run the network setup wizard and give the same workgroup name for both machines. That's the easiest way to do it.

Livy
02-03-2004, 12:38 PM
to find out your workgroup and computer name in xp, right click my computer and go to properties, then click the computer name tab.

bigdawgfoxx
02-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Both comps are on Windows XP Pro SP1

bigdawgfoxx
02-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Also, I want them to be on LAN together or something...to like on counter strike I can press lan games and he can see my server...and i still dont understand what the stuff livy said before was...i know how to click the share box but i dont really know what to type in the boxes and stuff..

bigdawgfoxx
02-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Smurfette@3 February 2004 - 05:18
Run the network setup wizard and give the same workgroup name for both machines. That's the easiest way to do it.
Network wizard didnt work either..

It has 2 choices about how the computer connects...either my computer is the main one and he connects or vis versa..but its niether. the modem goes to the router then the router goes to mine and his computer...theres no main computer that the other computer connects to.

kazaa2002
02-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@2 February 2004 - 23:52
Ok, I have my modem hooked up to my router, and my router hooked up to my brother and mines computer. Is that a network or what? Its connected with ethernet of course, but is there any way for me to be able to send him files directly through ethernet or do i need a program to network it?

On the computers at school when you click on my computer it shows like HDDs from all the comps..I want to be able to see the other computers HDD.
BigDawg, Try this,
go to start button, click on settings
click on network connections
click on setup a home or small office network...
this will start Network setup Wizard

Go back and review what Livy was telling you
#1 both pc's need to be in same workgroup

#2 both pc's need different names (like bigdawg and little bro)

#3 you need to go to each pc and from each pc allow sharing
if successful you will see a (icon)hand under drive you select
both drives need to be shared for playing each other in games.

after you have done this
Go back to desktop (or explorer) and click on My Network Places
and you should see both on a list...and when you click on either you should "see"
what is on that drive. note if you get a message that you can't connect, it usually
is because it "sharing" has not been enabled.

LIVY has it right in his posts to you, take your time,your almost there. :rolleyes:
let us know how you make out.

I forgot to ask...check that both pc can access the internet, that will mean that
your pc's are talking to the router...and all that is needed is for your pc's to
agree to talk---by knowing each others name.

Smurfette
02-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+3 February 2004 - 14:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx @ 3 February 2004 - 14:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Smurfette@3 February 2004 - 05:18
Run the network setup wizard and give the same workgroup name for both machines. That&#39;s the easiest way to do it.
Network wizard didnt work either..

It has 2 choices about how the computer connects...either my computer is the main one and he connects or vis versa..but its niether. the modem goes to the router then the router goes to mine and his computer...theres no main computer that the other computer connects to. [/b][/quote]
IIRC there&#39;s a third option ("neither of these"?) that, if you select it, will take you to another screen with different setups. I have the same setup and this is the way I normally do it, as it&#39;s quick n easy.