PDA

View Full Version : Qos Windows Xp Tweak

WhiteAngel
02-03-2004, 10:36 AM
QoS tweak
QoS (Quality of Service) is a networking subsystem which is supposed to insure that the network runs properly. The problem with the system is that it eats up 20% of the total bandwidth of any networking service on the computer (including your internet connection). If you are running XP Professional, you can disable the bandwidth quota reserved for the system using the Group Policy Editor [gpedit.msc].

You can run the group policy editor from the Run command line. To find the setting, expand "Local Computer Policy" and go to "Administrative Templates" under "Computer Configuration." Then find the "Network" branch and select "QoS Packet Scheduler." In the right hand box, double click on the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth." From within the Settings tab, enable the setting and then go into the "Bandwidth Limit %" and set it to 0%. The reason for this is that if you disable this setting, the computer defaults to 20%. This is true even when you aren't using QoS.

Found this little tweak on a website some time ago. Seemed to help me a little in download speeds. Thought I'd share.

-Steven

BawA
02-06-2004, 08:54 AM
does this cuase any trouble.? i may use it

btw wat is ur speed and how much does it increase after doing this.

Java Boy
02-06-2004, 08:58 AM
I just uninstall it from my Internet Connections...I dont use it and microsoft can reserve 20% of someone elses bandwith... :lol:

oZone
02-06-2004, 11:31 AM
It is a myth,this tip will not increase your k-lite downloads.

BawA
02-06-2004, 11:43 AM
i know it does not icrease speed on kazaa cuz, speeds on kazaa depends on # of users sharing a particular file, but we can find out if the tweak works on not by downloading from ftp, mirc or download site.

i just want to know if OverAll it work or not.

CornerPocket
02-06-2004, 05:23 PM
A little background on Windows XP Quality of Service (QoS) Enhancements and Behavior (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;US;q316666)

Java Boy
02-06-2004, 05:35 PM
I never believe anything Microsoft have to say... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But thanks for the insight :)

GrubMe
02-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Well... I did try it...

It didnt give me A big change, but I had a boost or two.
No it does not harm your connection. Its just a reserve.

oldjagman
02-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Tried this and it is having an effect on my overall net connection stability.

My downloads run consistently near to their optimum speed, searches take a lot less time and general surfing is quicker.

Generally a very good tip (or have I just had a coincident best 48 hours connection?).

delphin460
02-24-2004, 10:25 AM
ok the reason it call qos is that it provides quailty to the downloads and infact is what checks the packets as they come in and if it see a curupt packet, it sends a message to send the packet again

without it you maybe fine, but if there is heavy traffic on your isp or your lan and it drops a few packets it wont ask for them again, eg possibility of currupt file or dodgy video ect, the overhead involved in using Qos realy wont effect you d/l speed but may effect you download in the end

i suggest that you dont disable this function, or i can see an increase in crap files flying around kazaa, and we all need that dont we

oldjagman
02-25-2004, 01:21 AM
Still working.

Download speeds highly stable in upper quartile.

No corrupt files so far (note: this may be a red herring but my bittorrent client - Azureus - still identifies and reloads hash fails).

Not on a LAN.

Working 1176Kbs ADSL via a British Telecom reseller using a Connexant Access Runner PCI board producing 90 - 110 Kbps downloads (peak is about 140)

Win XP Home.

AMD Athlon 2600.

Don't panic Capt Mainwaring, I'll dump any corrupt files.

4play
02-25-2004, 04:23 PM
from what i have read about qos through cornerpockets link is that it's main use is to help send data from a high speed network like your home network through a smaller pipe like your internet connection.

using qos on a single workstation would be a waste of time since it does nothing.

Originally posted by delphin460
ok the reason it call qos is that it provides quailty to the downloads and infact is what checks the packets as they come in and if it see a curupt packet, it sends a message to send the packet again

I think your wrong here since its the tcp/ip protocol suite that does this. all packets have a checksum at the end that is tested to see if the packet is intact or not.

if packets are not sent in time because they are waiting in a long line on your network trying to squeeze through your internet connection, then the connection is droped at the other end. you then have to send another syn packet to start the connection up again.

using qos is adviseable on large networks but can increase performance on small networks if switched off.

@oldjagman single workstation do not require it so it will not make the slightest differnce to you.

oldjagman
02-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Ta, 4PLAY, that's re-assuring.

Once again we see the "golf" effect in downloading! Make any change to your swing and you will see an instant but unsustainable improvement - seems to work with P2P too!

Still, whatever I've done has made some difference for now so I'm leaving it alone - if it ain't broke I don't intend to fix it.

h11g
03-09-2004, 03:58 PM
thanks... i think it helps a bit...