PDA

View Full Version : Slow Downloads On My Wireless Laptop

Catlonia
03-03-2003, 10:44 PM
I just got a laptop and a wireless card.. and my overall download speeds at school are pretty good--but my kazaa download speeds are total shit.. usually 56k modem speed. I can't figure out what it is--but I know that it is on my end, because I have downloaded from multiple people who have told me they are on cable or DSL but my connection is still slow.

I used to use kazaa on my old system with no problems, and one new aspect i've noticed, is the fact that I now download from multiple people at the same time... usually like .38kb/s here, and .83kb/s there. Whereas before, it was just 60 kb/s

Any thoughts on why this may be?

Thanks..

please email [email protected] or post on this forum

vivitron 15
03-03-2003, 11:29 PM
OK, Im guessing you have the other end of the wireless NW connected to a ADSL line or stg...cos if u only have a 56 K modem, then you wouldn't be complaining? ;)

anyway, make sure the wireless connection is all configured right. check using a network crossover cable, if u can. This will tell you if its the wireless bit. Personally, don't really like em, cos they are still slower than standard NW connections. When they get faster, i may invest.

apart from that, have you checked your Laptop setup?

Anyway, check with a cable and let us know

Catlonia
03-03-2003, 11:41 PM
"OK, Im guessing you have the other end of the wireless NW connected to a ADSL line or stg...cos if u only have a 56 K modem, then you wouldn't be complaining?

anyway, make sure the wireless connection is all configured right. check using a network crossover cable, if u can. This will tell you if its the wireless bit. Personally, don't really like em, cos they are still slower than standard NW connections. When they get faster, i may invest.

apart from that, have you checked your Laptop setup?

Anyway, check with a cable and let us know "

I'm on my university connection...which is pretty uber... I can download files from say, my brothers' FTP site... pretty fast. It's only kazaa that is slow. I can't check the connnection using a cable until I get road runner (cable) this friday... so hopefullly, that will be it..

vivitron 15
03-03-2003, 11:52 PM
OK, yeah sorry...didn't read it properly.

its worthwhile (anonymously) checking that your uni doesn't throttle the port Kazaa uses...1214 I think, off the top of my head. They may restrict this, in order to reduce people like you slowing all their servers and stuff down, mainly to allow a lot of bandwidth for people doing work and stuff....(don't know why they'd want to though ;) )

Anyway, look through tips section, if this is the case, and theres some stuff about how to get around it...if u can't find it let us know, we'll help to hunt it out.

Make sure you do it anonymously, just in case...you never know

Fatal Error
03-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Catlonia@3 March 2003 - 17:44
I just got a laptop and a wireless card.. and my overall download speeds at school are pretty good--but my kazaa download speeds are total shit.. usually 56k modem speed.  I can't figure out what it is--but I know that it is on my end, because I have downloaded from multiple people who have told me they are on cable or DSL but my connection is still slow. 

I used to use kazaa on my old system with no problems, and one new aspect i've noticed, is the fact that I now download from multiple people at the same time... usually like .38kb/s here, and .83kb/s there.  Whereas before, it was just 60 kb/s

Any thoughts on why this may be?

Thanks..

please email [email protected] or post on this forum
Hmmm.. I dont use a laptop, but I am curious as to what version of KaZaa your useing.. this could possibly be part of your problem. If your not using the latest version of K-Lite, I would certainly recommend that you do so.. so that you can take advantage of all the new add-on tools, and all of the improvements that have been made. ;) If you are useing the latest version.. I always use Speed Up in combination with the "Auto Search More" and "find more sources for this download" options.. I find a very significant increase in my d/l speeds. :D Hope this helps.

MagicNakor
03-04-2003, 01:14 AM
A lot of universities have either blocked out Kazaa's default port (port 1214), pretty much shutting down the program for people who aren't too technical-minded, or have restricted the use of it so that you'd get horrible speeds. I guess it's an "encouragement" to not use Kazaa if you only get 0.5kb/sec. :-"

:ninja: