PDA

View Full Version : French Downloader Jailed

sharedholder
02-03-2004, 07:32 PM
French downloader jailed

A Frenchman who sold CDs made from songs he downloaded from the Net has been sentenced to six months in jail and fined EUR 1,000 ($1,250).

Bruno Dugas, 38, was found guilty of breaking copyright by setting up a web-based business through which he offered to sell CDs containing mp3s from p2p sites, says Agence France-Presse here (http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=58&story_id=4266).

Proceeds from the fine will go to the SPPF, a French body representing music producers and studios, according to the verdict handed down January 28.

Dugas was also ordered to publicise the judgement in two newspapers, says AFP, adding:

"So far, legal action in Europe has been limited to prosecuting people who have tried to make money off the trend, but recording companies have warned that home users adding to their own and others' personal music collections could be next, as is already happening in the United States."

SOURCE (http://p2pnet.net/story/693)

cwctv
02-03-2004, 07:48 PM
A Frenchman who sold CDs made from songs he downloaded from the Net has been sentenced to six months in jail and fined EUR 1,000 ($1,250).

I should think so too but what a s*it fine how much I wonder had he made before being caught.
I down, copy,steal I suppose too then pass on to friends etc but sell that&#39;s naughty naughty this IS one of the reasons p2p gets a bad name. <_<

Guillaume
02-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by sharedholder@3 February 2004 - 19:32
"So far, legal action in Europe has been limited to prosecuting people who have tried to make money off the trend, but recording companies have warned that home users adding to their own and others&#39; personal music collections could be next, as is already happening in the United States."
That guy wasn&#39;t sharing files but selling them... He got what he deserved...

What is more frightening is that there is, in France, a law draft ( yep, still a draft, thank God&#33;) about forbidding access to some websites, including sites about filesharing... Which would bring us to the level of Iran, North Korea and other "democratic" countries&#33; :angry:

I don&#39;t have time to look for english sources (I&#39;m quite busy packing my stuff, preparing to cross the German border and ask for asylum&#33;&#33;&#33;), so you&#39;ll have to do it on your own...

99shassan
02-03-2004, 10:21 PM
good for him