PDA

View Full Version : English Help

Gemby!
02-03-2004, 11:19 PM
i am doing a piece of original writing for my english coursework but i dont know what to base my story on ... and i was wondering if you luvly people could suggest some things ..... :)

JONNO_CELEBS
02-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Birth, life, happiness , love sadness and death :(

Or a Smurf :)

Jonno B)

Yogi
02-03-2004, 11:26 PM
The lounge.......... :lol:

Yogi

Gemby!
02-03-2004, 11:28 PM
oo a smurf - dayly travels against the evil of that big lanky weird pervy guy .. and the search for a newer - bigger boobed smurfette ...

sounds like men today...

J'Pol
02-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Is it totally open or are there boundaries. What are your parameters.

If it is totally open, write it about something you enjoy, or something you did which you enjoyed.

The intensity of emotion will help you in conveying your message. Alternatively it could be something really sad, but that would be less fun.

Either way, base it on something you know and have experience of. It will improve your work no end.

It's difficult to give anything more than generic advice without knowing a bit more about the project.

Biggles
02-03-2004, 11:30 PM
You have no guidelines I take it?

If you have free choice in the subject matter then follow the first rule of writing - stick to something you know about. Choose a place, a theme and an idea that you can populate with colour and depth.

J'Pol
02-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:30

If you have free choice in the subject matter then follow the first rule of writing - stick to something you know about. Choose a place, a theme and an idea that you can populate with colour and depth.
:o Plagiarist :o

Biggles
02-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+3 February 2004 - 23:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 3 February 2004 - 23:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:30

:o Plagiarist :o [/b][/quote]
:D

Fast typer

Gemby!
02-03-2004, 11:34 PM
my teacher isnt the best - he doesnt explain things too well and all he sed was write an original piece and it can be a story (short) and thats it

im gonna fail english ... <_<

J'Pol
02-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Biggles+4 February 2004 - 00:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggles @ 4 February 2004 - 00:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@3 February 2004 - 23:32
<!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:30

:o Plagiarist :o

Fast typer [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

thewizeard
02-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+3 February 2004 - 23:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 3 February 2004 - 23:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:30

:o Plagiarist :o [/b][/quote]
I would rather say that great minds think alike.... :)

J'Pol
02-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by gemby&#33;@4 February 2004 - 00:34
my teacher isnt the best - he doesnt explain things too well and all he sed was write an original piece and it can be a story (short) and thats it

Have you done something recently that is vivid in your mind. A day out, a date met with some friends whatever.

Just make that into a story, but put it in the third person. That way you will be able to describe everything very clearly, including the feelings. That is what give the story colour.

For example Janet&#39;s First Date.

Draw on your own experience. How she felt on the day. How she picked an outfit. How she got to the place, was the bus full. How her heart stopped when she saw him. The movie they went to see, she bought the popcorn. Did they kiss, what did she feel. What went through her head in bed that night. The next day, how could everyone go about their normal business when the world had changed etc

You can write all of this because you know all of it. You just have to write it as if it were someone else. It is known as drawing on your own experiences. You may even enjoy it.

Gemby!
02-03-2004, 11:44 PM
but it is only allowed to be one side and i feel it should have a secret meaning to it or somethign along those lines :ph34r:

Biggles
02-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by gemby&#33;@3 February 2004 - 23:34

Lol

It is amazing how often a class will go "yeah" when told they can write anything they like, only to slump immediately afterwards and say "I can&#39;t think of anything".

The purpose of writing pieces like these is to communicate, get over an idea. It can be a story but it doesn&#39;t have to be. You could write an magazine style article on, say, the use of fabrics in clothes. It doesn&#39;t sound exciting but it could be the most beautifully crafted piece of writing ever seen.

I had this with my son when he had to write on "a person who I admire". No suggestion suited him so I told him it was either about his favourite author or face unimaginable violence. He chose to write about his favourite author (oddly enough) and once started he couldn&#39;t stop and over-ran by several hundred words.

Biggles
02-03-2004, 11:56 PM
I once considered teaching.

*Shiver*

What an escape&#33;

J'Pol
02-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by gemby&#33;@4 February 2004 - 00:44
but it is only allowed to be one side and i feel it should have a secret meaning to it or somethign along those lines :ph34r:
Start with ....

Dear Diary

What a day I&#39;ve had, couldn&#39;t sleep at all last night, obviously, but I got up at 7 am anyway. LOL I never get up on saturdays. Dad was his usual grumpy self, but Mum understood, she always does. Dad has never been in love.

Go on to describe the day pick whatever you want, the date is just an idea. It is good because the emotions and memory are strong.

Feck I have just realised, I am a 14 year old girl.

J'Pol
02-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:56

*Shiver*

What an escape&#33;
A Great Escape if you will, Biggles old bean.

What ho.

Biggles
02-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+4 February 2004 - 00:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 4 February 2004 - 00:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:56

*Shiver*

What an escape&#33;

What ho. [/b][/quote]
Fortunately Ginger had the old kite ready and it was chocks away. Otherwise it could have been a very sticky wicket indeed, what&#33;

J'Pol
02-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Biggles+4 February 2004 - 01:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggles @ 4 February 2004 - 01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@4 February 2004 - 00:00
<!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@4 February 2004 - 00:56

*Shiver*

What an escape&#33;

What ho.
Fortunately Ginger had the old kite ready and it was chocks away. Otherwise it could have been a very sticky wicket indeed, what&#33; [/b][/quote]
Back to base for top scran and lashings of ginger beer.

Then off to give Gerry what for.

Biggles
02-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Possibly mixing Enid Blyton with Capt W E Johns there. Although they could have been one and the same.

Neither were what one could call literary giants, but still, a cracking good read. What&#33; :rolleyes:

When I started reading to my kids at bed-time I suddenly realised just how good some authors were and how ghastly others were. A A Milne&#39;s Winnie the Pooh is an absolute joy to read; every word carefully chosen for weight and texture.

I shall stop now least I end up in Private Eye&#39;s Pseud&#39;s corner.

J'Pol
02-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Biggles@4 February 2004 - 01:19
Possibly mixing Enid Blyton with Capt W E Johns there. Although they could have been one and the same.

More Soccer A.M. on Sky Sports 1 (Saturday Morning) if truth be told.

I am not aware if you are familiar with Tim Lovejoy&#39;s work.

Biggles
02-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+4 February 2004 - 00:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 4 February 2004 - 00:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@4 February 2004 - 01:19

More Soccer A.M. on Sky Sports 1 (Saturday Morning) if truth be told.

I am not aware if you are familiar with Tim Lovejoy&#39;s work. [/b][/quote]
No, I can&#39;t say I have heard of him.

What are his main pieces?

J'Pol
02-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Tim Lovejoy - The Magnum Opus (http://www.skysports.com/skysports/socceram)

Biggles
02-04-2004, 12:46 AM

Jumpers for goalposts&#33; Yes&#33; What?

I will investigate his style further - though I fear I do not subscribe to Sky Sports.

I do take their general package though I am somewhat peeved with them at the moment. I can&#39;t get any of the Beeb channels and got some gobbledy gook explanation for it - with the offer of sending someone to tweak my box for a mere £65.00 pounds. :angry:

J'Pol
02-04-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Biggles@4 February 2004 - 01:46

I will investigate his style further - though I fear I do not subscribe to Sky Sports.

I do take their general package though I am somewhat peeved with them at the moment. I can&#39;t get any of the Beeb channels and got some gobbledy gook explanation for it - with the offer of sending someone to tweak my box for a mere £65.00 pounds. :angry:
Tell them to feck off.

It is up to them to fulfill their side of the contract, which includes providing you with the BBC Channels. They are patently in breach of said contract just now.

It is not a matter for you to pay for them to honour their side of the deal. That is simply preposterous.

Tell them I said so, it may help.

Biggles
02-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+4 February 2004 - 00:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 4 February 2004 - 00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@4 February 2004 - 01:46

I do take their general package though I am somewhat peeved with them at the moment. I can&#39;t get any of the Beeb channels and got some gobbledy gook explanation for it - with the offer of sending someone to tweak my box for a mere £65.00 pounds.&nbsp; :angry:
Tell them to feck off.

It is up to them to fulfill their side of the contract, which includes providing you with the BBC Channels. They are patently in breach of said contract just now.

It is not a matter for you to pay for them to honour their side of the deal. That is simply preposterous.

Tell them I said so, it may help. [/b][/quote]

Cheers

I did decline their offer as it did not sit well with my parsimonious inclinations.

I will mention you name amidst dire threats of retribution. However, I hold out little hope. Sky are the new British Gas. For a company founded by a free trade right winger they have turned into an bureaucracy bound by inertia and absurd rules regarding walls, chimneys, ladders and how far they will carry said ladder etc., I am convinced Bernard Cribbens writes their guidelines whilst singing "Right said Fred".

A friend said nab a Sky fitter and he will do it as a sidey for a tenner. As this is exactly how every one used get their gas fires fixed this rings true.

J'Pol
02-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Your revelations re Mr Cribbens may be the problem.

If the dish is in fact inside of a hole, then the reception will be at best poor.

Try the more traditional side of your hoose approach. It may help.

Evil Gemini
02-04-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+4 February 2004 - 00:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 4 February 2004 - 00:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gemby&#33;@4 February 2004 - 00:44
but it is only allowed to be one side and i feel it should have a secret meaning to it or somethign along those lines&nbsp; :ph34r:
Start with ....

Dear Diary

What a day I&#39;ve had, couldn&#39;t sleep at all last night, obviously, but I got up at 7 am anyway. LOL I never get up on saturdays. Dad was his usual grumpy self, but Mum understood, she always does. Dad has never been in love.

Go on to describe the day pick whatever you want, the date is just an idea. It is good because the emotions and memory are strong.

Feck I have just realised, I am a 14 year old girl. [/b][/quote]
:lol:

Just dont put LOL&#39;s and WTF&#39;s in thier :D

Sorry gemby, i dont have any ideas for you like everyone else does. I sucked at english and could never write a story but i ended up passing english because i was good at other things in english.

Just dont stress about it too much and you will think of a story.

Base it on someting you saw on TV. or actually, just do what J&#39;Pol said.

:holiday:

Gemby!
02-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@3 February 2004 - 23:59

Start with ....

Dear Diary

Feck I have just realised, I am a 14 year old girl.
you reading my diary ?? how you know about my saturday ??

where did you get these sources from ? :ph34r: