PDA

View Full Version : Riaa Going Crazy

sharedholder
02-04-2004, 02:03 PM
:lol: :lol:
RIAA Claims Music On Car Radios Meant, Only For Original Vehicle Owner!!!!

The Recording Industry Association of America announced today it would be expanding its crackdown on copyright infringement by suing family members, hitchhikers and carpoolers.

Lawyers for the RIAA maintain that the radio in each car was never meant to be listened to by anyone else except the original owner of the vehicle.

Therefore, any additional passengers who listen to music on the radio in another individual's car are doing so illegally and without the express permission of the copyright holders of the respective songs that are broadcast.

RIAA attorneys were preparing to go to Federal District courts across the country to have subpoenas issued to every car maker in America in the hopes of forcing them to disclose the names and addresses of all purchasers from the last 20 years.

SOURCE (http://radio.about.com/library/weekly/aa082603a.htm)

j4y3m
02-04-2004, 02:08 PM
:blink: WTF? I think they're mentally retarded...

Mystikan
02-04-2004, 02:43 PM
If you read the article, it says clearly at both top and bottom that it is a SATIRE! The RIAA could not possibly do this.

Sparkle1984
02-04-2004, 07:32 PM
:lol: :lol: Very funny !! I love satire !! :D

Switeck
02-06-2004, 05:24 AM
This satire is probably loosely based on 2 true stories from Finland:
Finland's Supreme Court has ruled taxi drivers must pay royalty fees if they play music in their car while a customer is in the backseat. The order even applies to the radio.

A case, based on one driver's refusal to pay, is likely to set a precedent for the 9,500 cab drivers in the country.

Under the ruling, a cab driver in Finland must pay £14 annually for playing music while transporting a fare.

Lauri Luotonen, chairman of the Helsinki Taxi Drivers' Association, says the ruling is likely to force most drivers to keep their radios off.

Recently, two Finnish churches refused to pay royalties to the country's copyright society for the performance of Christmas hymns. The congregations won their case in a district court, but the society has appealed.

Sparkle1984
02-06-2004, 07:04 PM
That is so ridiculous, it's terrible that things like that are happening. The radio already paid for the songs so why does the driver have to pay again?

Switeck
02-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Restraunts can no longer play the radio for customers nor can businesses let their employees listen to the radio (over company equipment at least!) without paying royalties and/or broadcast fees here in the USA.

If it gets ANY more ridiculous, such laws may be thrown out in general.

NightStalker
02-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Pathetic :blink:

Blank Space
02-07-2004, 12:52 AM
For a minute, I nearly shitted my pants until I found out it was a satire.

NightStalker
02-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Blank Space@6 February 2004 - 19:52
For a minute, I nearly shitted my pants until I found out it was a satire.
:lol:

Arm
02-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Switeck@6 February 2004 - 22:46
Restraunts can no longer play the radio for customers nor can businesses let their employees listen to the radio (over company equipment at least!) without paying royalties and/or broadcast fees here in the USA.
;) Aren't the trashy commercials that make up like half the radio time supposed to pay those royalities?

Switeck
02-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Arm+6 February 2004 - 21:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Arm @ 6 February 2004 - 21:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@6 February 2004 - 22:46
Resturants can no longer play the radio for customers nor can businesses let their employees listen to the radio (over company equipment at least&#33;) without paying royalties and/or broadcast fees here in the USA.;) Aren&#39;t the trashy commercials that make up like half the radio time supposed to pay those royalities? [/b][/quote]
Yes, but the &#39;middlemen&#39; (record industries) want their cut EVERY time a sale or transaction occurs ...or even every time a song is PLAYED&#33;

If we don&#39;t FIGHT THEM, they WILL get their way&#33;

This is VERY CLOSE to outright censorship of freedom of speech.

Mystikan
02-09-2004, 02:54 AM
There is an answer to all this lunacy. We&#39;re all doing it. It&#39;s called civil disobedience&#33; Remember the fate of Rockefeller&#39;s Standard Oil and the Railway Trusts of the 1800s - this is no different. Microsoft, the RIAA et al, will ultimately strangle on their own greed&#33;

abu_has_the_power
02-11-2004, 07:08 AM
The riaa need some serious mental treatment. wtf is that. a bunch of rich ass dumbshits sitting on their asses and picking on poor kids to sue. fuck you shitheads&#33;

JGarcia1J
02-11-2004, 08:04 AM
People what I heard is that radio stations have a contract or something very legal when comes to anyone and I mean anyone listening to music. I dont really remember where I heard it from eg. news, Mtv or somthing. But I know they wont go that far. But just incase just keep our eyes an ears peeled.

internet.news
02-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by sharedholder@4 February 2004 - 15:03
:lol: :lol:
RIAA Claims Music On Car Radios Meant, Only For Original Vehicle Owner&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

The Recording Industry Association of America announced today it would be expanding its crackdown on copyright infringement by suing family members, hitchhikers and carpoolers.

Lawyers for the RIAA maintain that the radio in each car was never meant to be listened to by anyone else except the original owner of the vehicle.

Therefore, any additional passengers who listen to music on the radio in another individual&#39;s car are doing so illegally and without the express permission of the copyright holders of the respective songs that are broadcast.

RIAA attorneys were preparing to go to Federal District courts across the country to have subpoenas issued to every car maker in America in the hopes of forcing them to disclose the names and addresses of all purchasers from the last 20 years.

SOURCE (http://radio.about.com/library/weekly/aa082603a.htm)
What a pitty shit - should I put something in my ears?

:rolleyes: In germany they take fees for listening to radio and tv&#33;
Not everyone pays it - and you also should pay it if you only have a video
recorder&#33;? Where is the logicbehind tthat - but for internet radio there is no
fee ;)