PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Symantec Live Update...

Izagaia
02-04-2004, 06:36 PM
:frusty:

This seems to have happened very recently and I have not the faintest clue what it was that I had done to bring this about. Yet Live Update, for whatever reason, does not want to "update" anything.

I have been using the recent 2.0.39.0 version for some time without conflict until this. So far I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling Live Update. No change. I have uninstalled and completely reinstalled all Norton/Symantec products using the service. Again no change. And I have also went through my registry and deleted various suspicious keys. Still no change.

Using an older version of Live Update seems not to recognize all installed Norton components. Only the common client and Live reg seems to come up on screen.

I was hoping that perhaps someone else using the TDA release of SystemWorks2004 Pro or NIS2004 Pro may have had some experience with this problem and could suggest a remedy. I will be reformatting soon, however with the recent strain of malicsious internet activity spreading, I did not really want to remain vulnerable until I did so.

Thanks. :helpsmile:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/Darkrealm/LiveUpdate_Problem.jpg

Smurfette
02-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Look HERE (http://www.google.com/search?as_q=error+LU1803&num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=off).

I'm not doing all the work for you.

Xero Grid
02-05-2004, 01:56 AM
... say it with me... N-O-R-T-O-N S-U-C-K-S. :lol:

Well, some of it is good software... running from the disk. Otherwise, it's always causing someone trouble. Dude, there are better poieces of software that are free.

LiveUpdate always screws up. The anti-virus doesn&#39;t pick up half as many infected objects as AVG does and it makes waaay more mistakes. <_<

NIS slows down your internet connection, especially 2004. Not to mention there are much better, more sure fire ways to protect yourself.

Systemworks, I would say is the best thing they came out with. I don&#39;t have anything against that, but it&#39;s not needed to be installed because whatever worth running can be done directly off the disk.

Symantec&#39;s Products were great at one point.... What happened?

-- Xero Grid --

TheFilePirater
02-05-2004, 02:06 AM
believe it or not, norton for me has caught more virus than AVG

AndrewBarker
02-05-2004, 02:13 AM
Norton has never let me down ;)

Xero Grid
02-05-2004, 06:06 AM
That&#39;s interesting.
Well, to each his own. I always had trouble using Norton software. And even if the problems I had with it were ironed out, I still find it bloated and obtrusive.

-- Xero Grid --

fkdup74
02-05-2004, 06:18 AM
bloated, yeah, but effective

matter of fact, AVG sucked in some reviews that were posted here a while back

NOD32 owned em all i think :unsure:
but i could be wrong..........

Xero Grid
02-05-2004, 06:34 AM
I had this interesting time once, when I had to fix this computer.
It was slow as hell and needed to be restored, so I installed AVG free edition, and it found five viruses before it finished installing. :lol:

It had at least 15 though. People don&#39;t know how to use a computer. <_<

I find AVG 7.0 kicks ass though. I never hear anyone talking about the different versions. 7.0 is the best anti-virus I&#39;ve used so far.

-- Xero Grid --

fkdup74
02-05-2004, 06:50 AM
and you say that having used norton?
hmmm, hell maybe i&#39;ll check it out too
a feckin review is just that after all, a review
kinda like the benchmark tests
that always try to say intel :x is better than AMD i guess

i&#39;ll try it and hopefully i&#39;ll stand corrected

B)

shn
02-05-2004, 07:39 AM
Norton Corporate is lightweight and gets straight to the point of defending your computer against viruses..................END.

All other norton products are trash and should be disposed of at your discretion. :)

the mighty tearlezz
02-05-2004, 09:15 AM
me too same problem for some time i have not be able to update via live update so i had to update from the site it self(symantec.com).wit a new type of pogram called intelligent updater if i&#39;m not mistakeing .i hope that this live update thing gets a solution soon i thought i was the only one having this problem

james_bond_rulez
02-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Smurfette@4 February 2004 - 13:13
Look HERE (http://www.google.com/search?as_q=error+LU1803&num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=off).

I&#39;m not doing all the work for you.
just in case u can&#39;t get that, cuz when i tried the site was down and this is from google cache...

Error: "LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates. LiveUpdate had an internal error while getting your updates."

Situation:
When you run LiveUpdate, you see the following message:
"LU1803: LiveUpdate failed while getting your updates. LiveUpdate had an internal error while getting your updates."

You may also see the following message:
"LiveUpdate had an internal error while getting your updates. Your Symantec programs were not updated. You should try getting updates at a later time. If LiveUpdate fails again with this error, you should re-install LiveUpdate."

Solution:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before you begin: In Windows NT/2000/XP, this problem can occur if you are not logged on as administrator. Before you attempt any of the following solutions, log on as administrator and run LiveUpdate again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If none of the solutions that follow fix your problem, and you would like to send information to Symantec to help Symantec product development find a solution, follow the instructions in the section "Submit your LiveUpdate log files to Symantec."

Click an icon to either expand ( ) or collapse ( ) each solution. Try the solutions in the order shown.

Solution 1
Solution 2
Solution 3
Solution 4
Solution 5
Submit your LiveUpdate log files to Symantec

Technical Information:
The Symantec Automated Support Assistant
The Automated Support Assistant is a diagnostic utility that you can download and run on your computer to assist in finding and helping to correct common support issues with Symantec products. The utility is a Windows program that uses ActiveX technology to integrate with the Support Web site. Symantec product information found by the utility is sent securely to Symantec for analysis. No personal information is ever accessed. This utility is read-only and no part of your system can be altered by it.

This process uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption to transmit the collected product information data. SSL uses a private key to encrypt data transferred over the SSL connection. You can verify that your transmission is secure by looking for a closed padlock icon in the bottom bar of your browser window or by verifying that the address of the displayed page begins with https.

References:
Related information
How to obtain the latest version of Lrsetup.exe

Izagaia
02-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Smurfette@4 February 2004 - 17:13

<_<

Well- you certainly have nothing to worry over. As the link you so graciously provided is the same given within Live Update itself. So you have done nothing at all. No work for you.

The idea was simply to inquire if others using similiar software encountered this same problem. And if they had, then listen to their suggestion(s).

Really. You are the sort of person who would give cab fare to the victim of a horrific automobile accident and tell them that the hospital is "thad&#39;da way", aren&#39;t you? If you cannot be part of the solution and offer friendly help, then do nothing. Kindly give no reply at all. If you can however, please by all means do so as there is always a point where help and kindness is returned. No one appreciates apathetic sarcasm.

Izagaia
02-05-2004, 08:48 PM
I am very used to dealing with Norton products and would prefer not going over to anything else unless absolutely necessary. Despite their tendencies to consume enormous amounts of system resources, I do think their level of protections is by far, some of the best I had heard of. The Anti-Spam, Productivity Controls and Privacy features are "must haves" to me. It just means that these are Symantec products, in terms of processor power and memory, where wimpy PC&#39;s "need not apply".

Actually, I had thought with almost everyone on the board here, who is most likely using the TDA rip of this product, there would be someone who unfortunately encountered this little annoyance before and have a means (without going through all the bullshit that Symantec suggests) to alleviate it.

shn : yours is an interesting idea. What exactly would I be looking for in terms of product and version? :)

shn
02-05-2004, 08:59 PM
I use 7.60.926 got it from balamm some time ago. Any 7.60.xxx version would do though. I think emule has a better selection when it comes to version choice. Btw, emule is "thad&#39;da way" -----&#62; :P

The newer versions of corporate tend to have a problem with xp for some reason it wants to be a client to a norton av server instead of installing as a standalone av.

However they may have fixed that issue by now. I am going to have to download another copy myself when I get time because I seem to have lost the one I had although the product is still installed and working fine..

Smurfette
02-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Izagaia+5 February 2004 - 20:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Izagaia &#064; 5 February 2004 - 20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Smurfette@4 February 2004 - 17:13

<_<

Well- you certainly have nothing to worry over. As the link you so graciously provided is the same given within Live Update itself. So you have done nothing at all. No work for you.

The idea was simply to inquire if others using similiar software encountered this same problem. And if they had, then listen to their suggestion(s).

Really. You are the sort of person who would give cab fare to the victim of a horrific automobile accident and tell them that the hospital is "thad&#39;da way", aren&#39;t you? If you cannot be part of the solution and offer friendly help, then do nothing. Kindly give no reply at all. If you can however, please by all means do so as there is always a point where help and kindness is returned. No one appreciates apathetic sarcasm.[/b]
Aw, did you get upset that I posted a link that you&#39;d visited? Perhaps you could&#39;ve mentioned that you&#39;d checked the Symantec site and followed their instructions, rather than saying:<!--QuoteBegin-Izagaia@4 February 2004 - 18:36
...and I have not the faintest clue what it was that I had done to bring this about. Yet Live Update, for whatever reason, does not want to "update" anything.[/quote]
FFS from your reaction I don&#39;t have a communication problem, perhaps you should take note.

Izagaia
02-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Smurfette+5 February 2004 - 19:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette &#064; 5 February 2004 - 19:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Aw, did you get upset that I posted a link that you&#39;d visited? Perhaps you could&#39;ve mentioned that you&#39;d checked the Symantec site and followed their instructions, rather than saying:<!--QuoteBegin-Izagaia@4 February 2004 - 18:36
...and I have not the faintest clue what it was that I had done to bring this about. Yet Live Update, for whatever reason, does not want to "update" anything.
FFS from your reaction I don&#39;t have a communication problem, perhaps you should take note. [/b][/quote]
"Faintest clue" as in a setting change or something somehow downloaded in malicsiously from a past use of Live Update.

Forgive my giving your apparent intelligence and communication skills so much credit.

Ah yes- it is soooo "noted" now...

Smurfette
02-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Izagaia+6 February 2004 - 00:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Izagaia &#064; 6 February 2004 - 00:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Smurfette@5 February 2004 - 19:10

Originally posted by Izagaia@4 February 2004 - 18:36
...and I have not the faintest clue what it was that I had done to bring this about. Yet Live Update, for whatever reason, does not want to "update" anything.
"Faintest clue" as in a setting change or something somehow downloaded in malicsiously from a past use of Live Update.[/b]
LOL, and you still missed the point.
<!--QuoteBegin-Izagaia@4 February 2004 - 18:36
...and I have not the faintest clue what it was that I had done to bring this about. Yet Live Update, for whatever reason, does not want to "update" anything.[/quote]
With those three words, you infer that you haven&#39;t checked the Symantec website.

Izagaia
02-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Smurfette@5 February 2004 - 19:39
LOL, and you still missed the point.

If you find me ignorant- then enlighten me.

With those three words, you infer that you haven&#39;t checked the Symantec website.

Fully? No. Of course not. Why scan through pages upon pages of needless topics and possibilities when I have only to ask for your particular brand of kind and helpful assistance? The idea here which so you have so obviously gone to lengths in showing hindsight towards was "relying on past user experiences" with this product. Rather than scores of mere "hit or miss" options to attempt from a source which would not even begin to be able to relate to my specific problem.

Interfacing with a human is always the more promising for help and guidance rather than an uncaring webpage. Or does that logic elude you as well?

shn
02-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Are you guys still goin at it? :huh:

Anyway...............Izagaia, did you ever find a copy of norton corp? Im in need of a hash bad :P

Izagaia
02-06-2004, 09:38 PM
If I switch over to a Symantec corporate version, I would rather it be a "package deal" to include internet security/firewall as well. All I am finding so far are stand-alone anti-virus programs.

I am sure that Symantec has a corporate firewall/antivirus package available. No? :unsure:

Going at it? Alittle- yes... a nerve was hit and one of the advantages of being the typical dumb male is that I am entitled to act like the proverbial brat now and then. :devil:

shn
02-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Yeah Im not sure but that is the reason I use corp because it is standalone and I have a router for a firewall. "Norton Internet Security Professional" has the features your referring to. :)