PDA

View Full Version : Burning A Movie To A Cd

odiesmom
03-04-2003, 04:46 AM
If I have installed Xvid & Divx codecs along with Nemo50build9beta1 ( I disabled the Divx & Xvid codecs in Nemo as well as Ffd show). I also have added (but I have not unzipped to completely install) Dvix 311 Alpha. I am not able to burn my AVI movie so far on a CD. It keeps saying there was an error. I know it will take 2 CDs, but I'm afraid that the file is too large to fit on the CD. They are 716,614 KB & 715,908 KB. I have regular CD'Rs that are 80 mins each. What do I do now? Am I missing something to convert the AVI to enable me to burn it to a CD? Do I need the Dvix 311 alpha if I already have Dvix codecs? Will it cause something not to work properly if I install it? Do I need to download TMPNGnc? ( I have no idea what that is or does really) I am going off of what I've been reading on the forum... and so far have been able to finally get my Xvid movie to play with out the green slime, with everyone's help (THANK YOU)... I am VERY new to this & to be honest, completely confused! Can anyone help? :unsure:

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-04-2003, 04:49 AM
http://www.dvdrhelp.com
http://www.doom9.org

Check out dvdRhelp.com first. Yea, the files will be too big as the avi's must be converted to mpg before making a VCD. Use TMPGenc and VirtualDUB. Come back when you get more confused :P

Skillian
03-04-2003, 05:06 AM
Check those websites if you're trying to make a VCD to play on your DVD player. If you're just storing them on CD to watch on your computer, it's a lot easier.

odiesmom
03-04-2003, 05:23 AM
Great, but where and how do I get a version of virtualdub that I can download? I've gone to the sites and so far I can't seem to find an actual download...am I crazy? I know I'm beyond confused now! I realized that I already downloaded the TMPNGNC file (that's what the Dvix 311 is, right?) And yes, at this point I'm only wanting to burn it to a CD to watch on a computer...I'm NOT ready to try to burn a DVD... Oh yeah, and by the way, I'm also blonde so make it simple, please! :rolleyes:

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-04-2003, 05:32 AM
If you want to burn it to watch on the computer, then its simple! It should fit. Select to burn one of your avi's as Data. then burn.

Skillian
03-04-2003, 05:34 AM
OK if you are just burning to a CD to watch on a computer you do not need TMPGEnc or Virtualdub. These programs, and the above websites are for making VCDs for your DVD player.

The codecs (DivX, XviD etc.) are things that allow you to watch the film on your computer, so they don't really affect burning a film to CD, although you will need the right ones installed when it comes to watching it! :D

The filesizes you quote should fit onto an 80min CD without any problems, so what burning software are you using (Nero, Easy CD Creator etc.) and what exactly does the error say when you try to burn it?

edit: or just do as above! Sorry, i was writing that while you posted Shinigami :D

odiesmom
03-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Does Windows Media Player sound right? That's what comes up when I load the CD to copy. (I told you I am ignorant to this stuff)

accat13
03-04-2003, 05:58 AM
this tool may be of some help it tells you if you have the right codec installed its called gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) click on the small white box beside (right of) file path,use the drop down arrow to find the movie file click on it and the program tells you if you have the codec... it also list all your codec audio and video try this link for vcd's(video cd not dvd you need a dvd burner to make dvd's) it is alot nicer to watch on your tv dvdrhelp (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/) and don't worry about being new to this it took me a few tries as well. any concerns repost thanks :)

odiesmom
03-04-2003, 06:07 AM
I have a dvd burner. And I am just trying to burn these CDs for a friend to play on his computer. I know that it needed an Xvid codec, that's why I downloaded it. It plays fine on the computer, but I just can't seem to figure out how to burn it. I am using a Sony Vaio Pentium 4 processor. (Running windows XP) The error message only says it's detected an unknown error, and stops the copying. I was told the file is too big for the disk by one person, then told it was not too big by another. I have no idea.

Skillian
03-04-2003, 06:08 AM
this tool may be of some help it tells you if you have the right codec installed its called gspot click on the small white box beside (right of) file path,use the drop down arrow to find the movie file click on it and the program tells you if you have the codec... it also list all your codec audio and video try this link for vcd's(video cd not dvd you need a dvd burner to make dvd's) it is alot nicer to watch on your tv dvdrhelp and don't worry about being new to this it took me a few tries as well. any concerns repost thanks

This is all true but maybe you should worry about that further down the line ;)

You can watch your movie in Windows Media Player but you can't burn the CD in it. What are you using when you get the error?

If you are definitely using 80min (700MB) CDs then those files are definitely not too big - they should fit fine.

accat13
03-04-2003, 06:09 AM
do you mean windows media player icon .. are you using xp i know when you put in a blank disc it asks you what you want to do with it cancel it or select your burning program.. it would help to know what that was (nero , easy cd ??)....you should be able to burn the media player icon(movie file) as data

accat13
03-04-2003, 06:12 AM
sorry seems like the posts are flying fast and furious right on top of each other

odiesmom
03-04-2003, 06:12 AM
YES! That's what I did originally. It's my F drive. It started the burn, then stopped saying there was an error. Sorry guys, I wish I knew how to explain this better

odiesmom
03-04-2003, 06:19 AM
I put the CD in & when the window came up to select what to do, I highlighted the "open writable CD folder using Windows explorer" then I selected "write these files to CD" and only selected the one version (CD1) to copy. It shows to be copying, but then it stopped. Does this make sense? And yes, I'll probably have an answer by the time I post this reply! The CD writing wizard tells me that there was an error in the writing process, the disk that I have attempted to write on my no longer be usuable, then it asks what I want to do...eject the disk, save the file to try again, etc...

Skillian
03-04-2003, 06:19 AM
Have you tried burning both the files? Did it come up with the same error both times?

If so trying using a different blank CD if you haven't already, and try not to do too much on your computer while it is burning, can cause problems.

sorry seems like the posts are flying fast and furious right on top of each other
:lol: Ain't that the truth! I think I'll let you or Shinigami take over now, must get to bed -_- -_-

edit:
I put the CD in & when the window came up to select what to do, I highlighted the "open writable CD folder using Windows explorer" then I selected "write these files to CD" and only selected the one version (CD1) to copy. It shows to be copying, but then it stopped. Does this make sense?
Yep makes sense, that's how you do it!

accat13
03-04-2003, 06:34 AM
sorry to leave you hanging but i've goto go to bed also its 1.35 pm here

odiesmom
03-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Thanks for your help & night night! I'm so frustrated with this thing. I have ruined 2 CDs now. I did not have anything going on in the background while trying to copy them. The second time I did, I was doing it again as I was telling this all to you..it made no difference, did exactly the same thing... bummer!

accat13
03-04-2003, 06:36 AM
oops i mean am so tired good nite

odiesmom
03-04-2003, 06:37 AM
I think I'll go on to bed too. It's 12:30 here. I will get back on tomorrow night around 8 so maybe I can pick up where we left off...ok? Thanks again everybody! At the very least it's been fun talking to you!

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Alrighty... I'm back from sleep and school :lol:
First: Download a burning program like Nero. You can go to http://www.nero.com and get a trial version if you want to then look for a serial but go on Kazaa Lite and download one from there.
2nd: Are you using regular CD-R's or DVD-R's??? That could be a problem since you mentioned a DVD burner.... (oh and I also have the same computer as you lol)
3rd: When you have Nero, the wizard you pop up and walk you through it.
Make sure after you select DVD burning or regular CD burning, you select to burn as DATA.
Then drag and drop your files onto the screen from the right to the left.
Then Burn.

ooo
03-05-2003, 12:12 AM
Nero that seems good... sleep and school... intresting combination... well for me... its sleep and sleep in school.... shhh... teachers wont catch me lol... bytehway yes nero is good... even tho i don't use it... lol

odiesmom
03-05-2003, 03:13 AM
Ok... I've used Nero before on my old computer to burn music CDs. I am trying to burn onto a regular CD-R. I was curious though, the CD-R sthat were given to me to burn this movie on to are Maxell, but they also have Music 80 on them. Does this make a difference? I still will use the DVD burner on my machine (the top one) correct? Ugh! Please try not to laugh!...I know it's hard! ha! :lol:

accat13
03-05-2003, 03:25 AM
odiesmom Posted on 5 March 2003 - 04:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok... I've used Nero before on my old computer to burn music CDs. I am trying to burn onto a regular CD-R. I was curious though, the CD-R sthat were given to me to burn this movie on to are Maxell, but they also have Music 80 on them. Does this make a difference? I still will use the DVD burner on my machine (the top one) correct? Ugh! Please try not to laugh!...I know it's hard! ha!  I don't think this matters it sounds like a music cd-r disc (more confusion) This is just a different disc for home stereo cd burners there more expensive but my dad uses them to put files on, in his pc when he runs out of regular cd's. :) :)

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-05-2003, 03:30 AM
Yep, its the top one alright! :lol: What accat13 is also true.
Open up Nero and burn as data. Do what I said above and hopefully you'll have your avi's on those discs.

accat13
03-05-2003, 03:35 AM
Great advice Shinigami I was going to suggest nero or easy cd also... I think this will solve the ladies problems

odiesmom
03-05-2003, 03:41 AM
ok..I&#39;ll be back&#33; You guys are too sweet&#33; (even though I DID notice someone was laughing&#33;) <_<

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Laughing? accat13&#39;s avatar is laughing :lol: :P
~hope it works for you now~
o:)

odiesmom
03-05-2003, 04:33 AM
Woo Hoo&#33; It worked&#33; Geeze, it seemed TOO simple&#33; :P Thanks again for your help and also for being sooo patient guys&#33; Also.....I forgive ya for laughing (and I don&#39;t blame ya&#33;)

accat13
03-05-2003, 05:29 AM
Congradulations enjoy ... :) :)

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-05-2003, 05:33 AM
w00t&#33; :w00t: Congrats&#33; :D :P

odiesmom
03-06-2003, 03:27 AM
Hey guys, you there? Bet you didn&#39;t think you&#39;d be seeing me again, huh? I have another problem....
The CD will not play on my friends brand new laptop. Others will, but not the one that I burned. It played fine on my computer last night...I had him download all of the stuff that I have on my computer...but it&#39;s not working. Any suggestions?

Skillian
03-06-2003, 03:58 AM
Hello again B)

I don&#39;t really know much about laptops I&#39;m afraid, but you could try a different brand of CD. Some drives can be picky about the types they will accept. Other than I that can&#39;t really help.

odiesmom
03-06-2003, 04:06 AM
it&#39;s a windows XP.... i know that it works on my XP here. I had him download Xvid, Divx412 as well as 311 and Nemo 50 pack. We unchecked any and all divx & xvid stuff as well as ffdshow. I don&#39;t understand what happened.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Now you burned it as data right? Did you try going into My computer>then click the drive where the CD is located at and view it as a folder. You should see the files there. :)

odiesmom
03-06-2003, 06:18 AM
Yep, he tried that. I am soooo frustrated. It played fine here. I told him to download all of the some stuff I had too, and he did. I helped him do it today. I just wonder if there is a Divx or some other codec that was built into Windows XP that is doubling up and causing a problem? Is that possible? (And you THOUGHT you got rid of the dumb blonde, huh?) ALso, he had a divx movie that was burned by someone else play just fine in it. Makes me think that maybe it is a probem with the Xvid codec?

accat13
03-06-2003, 02:56 PM
hello.. The only way I know to check if the right codec is installed is with a small program called gspot(don&#39;t laugh)gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/).. Install program..in the program..next to the file path box click on the small white square ... locate the file ...the program does the rest...it will just tell you if the proper codec is installed..I&#39;m trying not to get to complicated hope you understand it..bye ;)

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-06-2003, 11:47 PM
hmmm...
When you go to folder, is it blank? Try testing it on another computer and see if the files show up on that computer. You burned them as data right? So the files on the disc should be .avi&#39;s... Have you tried opening a media player and locating the media on the disc? Try burning the avi&#39;s on CD-RW&#39;s so you don&#39;t waste another disc and see if it works then.

odiesmom
03-07-2003, 03:12 AM
I don&#39;t have the laptop here. It&#39;s my boss&#39;s. We tried reloading xvid, thinking it might have been bad. It did show a green screen at first, then the error message came back up. It was a windows explorer message & I don&#39;t remember the wording, but it said that "you might be in the middle of something & will lose any information that you&#39;re working on". Something like that. Yesterday, only the error message came up, no green screen, nothing else. I had played the CD on my computer before I took it to work. It worked beautifully. I&#39;m pretty frustrated. I guess if we hadn&#39;t loaded the same stuff on his as is on mine, I wouldn&#39;t be so stumped. Is there a difference in the Nemo 5.0 vs Nemo50build9beta1? I noticed that his is a 5.0 final version. Could that be it? I&#39;m grasping at straws, I know. By the way, what are your ages? I noticed that you guys are going to school. Shini, are you really 15? If so, I&#39;m impressed&#33; OH YEAH, I forgot...yes, I DID burn the CD as data.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-07-2003, 03:27 AM
Yep, I&#39;m 15 lol. and going to school tomorrow....again :lol:
Did the laptop happen to freeze or hang after you loaded the disc? I had the same problem as you did when I burned a couple discs for my friends to watch but they were running Win 98...
This is a long shot but using a CD-RW if you can, burn the avi&#39;s as BOOTABLE DATA instead of DATA and see what happens.

If you have Nero Express:
Open up Nero, at the top of Nero under the toolbar and next to the scissors (the cut icon), there should be a black icon thing with an arrow, click that and Nero Express should pop up. Then hover your mouse over Data, then click Bootable Data Disc. Load your avi and burn.

If you don&#39;t have Nero Express:
Open up Nero, close the wizard if you have it open, then scroll the left menu down until you see an icon of a CD and folders with the text "CD-ROM (boot)" below it. Click that, then click the "burn" tab, then click the "new" button to the right of that. Drag and Drop the files and burn.

This is a long shot though... Well I have to eat dinner now so hopefully someone can help you. :)

accat13
03-07-2003, 05:17 AM
Hello I feel old I&#39;m 37..Shinigami when I was your age I was playing with my good old commadore 64 (oh boy)..You seem very wise about this topic Shinigami..I&#39;ve only been playing with vcd&#39;s for only about 2 months.This still seems like it may be codec related ..If I remember correctly xvids with green screens mean codec problems try the gspot program its fast and easy.It will rule this out..And its a nice free tool to keep to check other movie downloads with ..Hope I&#39;m not confusing the issue here but at least I&#39;m trying to help..Its 12:12 here so I&#39;m off to bed Nite all.Keep us posted on your progress :unsure:

odiesmom
03-07-2003, 05:55 AM
Thanks&#33; I think I&#39;ll have him download the gspot. (not laughing, much) :rolleyes: I have it here, but he hasn&#39;t downloaded it yet.
You feel old? Geeze, how &#39;bout being 43? I just turned 43 today. (3-6) what&#39;s a Commadore 64? I don&#39;t remember that. I was shocked to hear that Shinigami was... I&#39;m very impressed with how smart he is. He&#39;s younger than my youngest ... who is 20&#33; I gotta stop, I&#39;m getting depressed :(
Thanks for all of your help. I&#39;ll be back tomorow night to let you know if I had any luck.. keep your fingers crossed&#33; BTW, Where are you from? I noticed your an hour ahead of me.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-07-2003, 06:18 AM
Your 2 hours ahead of me. I&#39;m in mid-California over here. Time to sleep though, 10 PM. My "bed-time" lol. :P You guys feel old? I feel young. At least you guys get to drive&#33; :) Well, instead of the Commodore 64, I have my computer and a couple hobbies that keep me occupied when there&#39;s homework to do and no sports. Good luck to ya&#33; :D

accat13
03-07-2003, 07:41 AM
oh boy haven&#39;t gone to bed yet lucky i&#39;m on holidays from snowy ontario canada

odiesmom
03-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Nope, no luck so far. I&#39;ll let ya know if and when I ever get this thing to play&#33; I&#39;m in Texas, so I guess your right, you are 2 hours behind me. And in my opinion, driving is over rated. ...Ontario? I&#39;ve heard it&#39;s beautiful there. We&#39;ve been saying we&#39;re going to fly up to see some friends that live in Canada now... We&#39;ve been wanting to go through Glacier Park too. But I will wait until July or August to do that&#33;

odiesmom
03-13-2003, 03:56 AM
Just thought I&#39;d let you guys know that I had my boss uninstall all codecs & then download the SLD Codec Pack & it worked like a charm. I don&#39;t know what the difference was, but at this point I don&#39;t even care&#33; Thanks again for everything&#33;

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-13-2003, 04:01 AM
:D It finally worked&#33; w00t&#33; :rolleyes:

accat13
03-13-2003, 04:23 AM
success ya hoo&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :rolleyes: :D thanks for letting us know