PDA

View Full Version : Parents Drugging Preschoolers With Antidepressents

Arm
02-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Popping Pills in Preschool (http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,62154,00.html?tw=wn_story_top5)

:huh: Who the fuck puts preschool kids on antidepressents? Damn these parents need to have some shit beaten out of their head and maybe they can think of how harmful antidepressents are. But the school people who send some asshole who works for pharmaceutifal companies coming to school and telling their kids all this crap thats (not) wrong with them doesn't help either.

What a bunch of fucking idiots in this world. Damn if I was ruler of the world ide ban all anti-depressents and mehavior modificaiton drugs. What a world of a bunch of lazy fucking pussies we live in if we cant handle a little bit of melancholy and disobedience. :frusty:

Depression is bullshit. It's an emotion and you need to deal with it yourself and don't need any drugs that have worse side effects then the original problem being shoved down your throat. :angry:

Evil Gemini
02-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Depression is bullshit

Ok, im with you when you say that school kids should not be given anti depression pills but to say that Depression is bullshit is pure ignorance.

It IS real and some people have a big problem with it.

Not everyones brain chemicals are perfectly balanced like yours.

Spider_dude
02-05-2004, 04:21 PM
yeah i agree depression is a serious thing. dangerous. it affects people in differnet ways, i am one of the kind who just think fuck it, life is better than getting worried about things. whereas certain people i know and family members take it to heart.

dwightfry
02-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Depression is bullshit. It's an emotion and you need to deal with it yourself and don't need any drugs that have worse side effects then the original problem being shoved down your throat

<_<

You don&#39;t know what you are talking about.

atiVidia
02-05-2004, 06:19 PM
holy shit...

dude, putting kids on depressants is the equiv. to putting kids on crack...

they will be mentally fucked&#33;&#33;&#33;

Mad Cat
02-05-2004, 06:31 PM
When I went over to the US, about 50 adverts every day for drugs that "combat Attention Defecit Disorder."

Lets pump the kids with drugs because we can&#39;t be bothered praising them for doing something right&#33;

Pitbul
02-05-2004, 10:56 PM
ADD has nothing to do with giving someone praise you jackass let alone its very diffrent from Depression ADD has to do with your attention span. and depression is just your brain chemicals getting supplied unefficiently. dont act as if your country and many others countries dont have depression.

Arm
02-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Ah depression is bullshit. I don&#39;t care what any of you hippies say. And whoever the fucker who said my brain chemicals are perfectly balanced, that couldn&#39;t be any more farther form the truth.

Damn I am glad I fought against my mom shoving Ritalin down my throat since the put me on it in first grade. Arms been off drugs since sixth grade :). If I continued to take that shit my brain would probably even more fucked up then it already is.

Bunch of crap that made me feel horrable and I still had behavior problems. And I don&#39;t care about all those assholes who say"well there are new drugs that work much better." Oh really, yeah some new side effects that are just as bad, if not worse. Fuck you. :angry: You all are just a bunch of morons and I&#39;m not.

Ah the only reason why they are drugging kids is so the pharmaceutical companies can make money off the bullshit, harmful and overpriced drugs. :frusty: And thats a fact&#33; B)

Anti-depressents(all of them) need to completly be banned along with all behavior modification drugs and the fuckers who came up with it should be stoned to death. :ph34r:

bo_selecta
02-06-2004, 01:30 AM
The United Kingdom already has outlawed the use of antidepressants -- with the exception of Prozac -- by minors.

Phew, wer fine over here then.
To be honest, it only seems to be a major thing in the states. just isnt seen to be the done thing here (in the UK)

Do have to say though.
Giving drugs that alter brain chemistry to kids, when their brains are growing.
Dodgy

Arm
02-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Well kids are drugged the most in the States thats why it&#39;s such a big deal. Not to menction they have people who are paid by the schools(and probably on pharmaceutical companies payroll) to go evaluate a kid at school, without the parents consent, and tell the school officials all these things thats wrong with a kid and recommends whatever drugs the company has in stock. Then the school tells the parents this and says they have to put their kids in drugs or they will file a complaint with social services for child neglect.

:rolleyes: Fucking country.

Evil Gemini
02-06-2004, 02:39 AM
Anti-depressents(all of them) need to completly be banned

You dont know shit.

bo_selecta
02-06-2004, 02:49 AM
Thats a bit messed.

Only reason anyone would get someone in to check out a kid at school here is if they were like violent or something, i mean if something like that happened then the parents would be in on it, not like the school goin at it like the way you describe.

And besides, let them file a complaint.
Its the parents decision. Doctors / schools can only really ADVISE
They arent able to force anything on anyone.

How widespread is the drugging anyway, iv never known anyone whos been drugged or anythin for that here.
Even the really disruptive people iv known, no-ones had things that far and theyv done some messed up things lol

dwightfry
02-06-2004, 04:30 PM
ARM - like posted before RITALIN IS FOR A.D.D., NOT DEPRESSION. :angry: Judging by your posts, you don&#39;t have a clue when it comes to depression so STFU. I don&#39;t appreciate a little fucker like you insinuating that I&#39;m weak and just can&#39;t handle "a little bit of melancholy."

EDIT: I do think the fact that they are giving grade school children these drugs is terribly wrong but to say that depression is bullshit is just ignorant.

Abe
02-07-2004, 03:17 AM
I have social anxiety disorder and with that comes depression and i&#39;m aything but a weak puss. I never take pills I deal with this danmed problem myself and do not allow anything or anyone besides myself to get over it.So far everything is getting better , best shape of my life , better grades , better at sports and clear thinking which pills cloud in my belief.

I say let the kids deal with it there selfs and not "pills", by useing self dicipline.

Poor kids. <_<

Edit: I should get a spellchecker.................in pill form. :lol:

atiVidia
02-07-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Arm@5 February 2004 - 20:06
Ah depression is bullshit. I don&#39;t care what any of you hippies say. And whoever the fucker who said my brain chemicals are perfectly balanced, that couldn&#39;t be any more farther form the truth.

Damn I am glad I fought against my mom shoving Ritalin down my throat since the put me on it in first grade. Arms been off drugs since sixth grade :). If I continued to take that shit my brain would probably even more fucked up then it already is.

Bunch of crap that made me feel horrable and I still had behavior problems. And I don&#39;t care about all those assholes who say"well there are new drugs that work much better." Oh really, yeah some new side effects that are just as bad, if not worse. Fuck you. :angry: You all are just a bunch of morons and I&#39;m not.

Ah the only reason why they are drugging kids is so the pharmaceutical companies can make money off the bullshit, harmful and overpriced drugs. :frusty: And thats a fact&#33; B)

Anti-depressents(all of them) need to completly be banned along with all behavior modification drugs and the fuckers who came up with it should be stoned to death. :ph34r:
im on ADD pills...

they really help. u see, ur the asshole who decided to reject the treatment and now just read what u typed up&#33; uve become an asshole becuz u DIDNT take ur meds.

thats what meds are for man. to make u BETTER&#33;

(geez what a fucking asshole)

and by the way, ur gonna burn in hell for ur comments bout depression. my mom&#39;s friend has depression, and it sux like hell... she refuses to eat, and right now shes almost dead. the doctors are forcing the antidepressants into her body thru an IV in order to make her better...

man ur seriously gonna burn in hell

mogadishu
02-07-2004, 07:21 AM
I&#39;m 16 and I take anti-depreesants as well as stimulants for adhd. I absolutely agree that both of the medicines I&#39;m taking are overprescribed here in the US, but I am living proof that they work. I do feel negative side-affects from the anti-depressants, but these are nothing compared to what I feel without them. To those of you who are telling us depression is a myth and pills dont do anything, you might as well say cancer is a lie and chemo is only for pussies. I bet if you had to go through what some people like me have, you would have different feelings. So think about things like this before you open your mouth.

Arm
02-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@7 February 2004 - 05:21
and by the way, ur gonna burn in hell for ur comments bout depression. my mom&#39;s friend has depression, and it sux like hell... she refuses to eat, and right now shes almost dead. the doctors are forcing the antidepressants into her body thru an IV in order to make her better...

man ur seriously gonna burn in hell
:) Damn right I am. Oh yeah I&#39;m a atheist so I don&#39;t believe in hell. B) Well I guess the antidepressents don&#39;t work since they arent making her better. ;)

Anti-depressents don&#39;t work any more then placebos do. You don&#39;t think your getting better, you wont get better. I was depressed for a while but me getting a girlfriend sure lifted me right out of it. And yes, assholes like me can get grlfriends. :blink: People said when I was drugged up on Ritalin I behaved better in school and I guess I did but lets take a look at what the drugs did to me:

I felt very sick alot and has no appetite at all so I could not eat. Also my stomach was upset alot of the time.
I felt very uncomfortable all the time. I always felt paranoid and weak. Like I couldn&#39;t even shout or run until those fucking drugs were out of my body. Also my attenction span really didn&#39;t improve except for the part of it putting my brain into a chemical straight jacket.
Not to menction I still got into trouble even while I was drugged so I guess they were pretty worthless. B)
And when I was put on Adderall the symptoms increased to the point I couldn&#39;t even do any work. Also by the end of being on the Adderall I got kicked out of school so ah the drug obviously didn&#39;t work. :lol:

I have very defiant thinking and was against being put on drugs since first grade. I will not be controlled even for the better&#33;

I guess if I thought in my mind just to be a sheep and think the drug made me better it could of but I didn&#39;t. Again with the placebo effect. :blink:

And mogadishu, cancer is a different story. Thats something life threatning. ADHD is just misbehaving in school. ADHD people are just different then normal(?) people. B) They don&#39;t suffer from disorders and are creative thinkers. Being drugger up on chemical straight jackets ruins what makes you unique.

mogadishu
02-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Arm@7 February 2004 - 11:13

And mogadishu, cancer is a different story. Thats something life threatning. ADHD is just misbehaving in school. ADHD people are just different then normal(?) people. B) They don&#39;t suffer from disorders and are creative thinkers. Being drugger up on chemical straight jackets ruins what makes you unique.
I was comparing cancer to Depression, not ADHD. ADHD isn&#39;t life threatening, and I don&#39;t think anyone has commited suicided because of it, but it still impedes learning and paying attention is much harder. But this thread was about Anti-Depressants, not Aderol, Ritalin etc. I cannot stress enough that all the drugs that are being discussed are overprescribed across the country... but this doesnt take away from the fact that depression can be just as bad as cancer. I can&#39;t say that I have experience depression as bad as this, but I know plenty of people who genuinly felt mental anguish parallel to that of what a cancer patient feels. I can understand people not wanting to accept these kind of drugs, because there is no physical attribute to associate with the illnessses, but nevertheless they are illnesses that need to be treated like any other.

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
02-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu@7 February 2004 - 02:21
I&#39;m 16 and I take anti-depreesants as well as stimulants for adhd. I absolutely agree that both of the medicines I&#39;m taking are overprescribed here in the US,
Your not a doctor and you certainly can&#39;t diagnose the medical conditions of millions of patients who are prescribed these drugs, I think your just guessing and trying to make your guess seem authoritative by adding the fact your prescribed them.
Since you admitted to being prescribed them your saying your mentally ill witch discredits your guess even more.

ScotchGuy
02-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Arm: You&#39;re an idiot. You obviously have no idea what you&#39;re talking about, or any information to support the insane things that you say.

FACT: Depression is a REAL problem inside a persons brain. It&#39;s a chemical imbalance and they developed medicine to help with it.

So you say they should ban that medicine? So people can&#39;t get the help they need. Nice one fuck face.

Geese, next thing you&#39;ll be saying is that the condition of bi-polar is not a disease, or schizophrenia. They, just as depression, have to do with chemical imbalances in a persons brain.

You keep saying the effects from taking the medicine are worse and that it will hurt the persons brain more than help. What effects are you talking about??? And do you have any facts to back up these statements?

Please get some real facts on a subject before you make a complete ass of yourself.

Biggles
02-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Clinical depression is an illness just like any other. It requires care and sometimes drugs to assist with recovery.

It should not be confused with ordinary depression associated with specific events such as a bereavement.

However, notwithstanding either of the above definitions, the original question, albeit inelegantly phrased, asked if it was appropriate to use drugs designed to alleviate clinical depression on pre-school kids i.e 4 or 5 year olds.

Whilst it may be that some children do suffer from depression I have to say it is not something I have encountered in many years as a parent.

So are the drugs being used to control what we used to call "lively" children. If so, are we heading to Aldous Huxley&#39;s Brave New World?

mogadishu
02-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>+7 February 2004 - 15:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<TROUBLE^MAKER> @ 7 February 2004 - 15:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@7 February 2004 - 02:21
I&#39;m 16 and I take anti-depreesants as well as stimulants for adhd. I absolutely agree that both of the medicines I&#39;m taking are overprescribed here in the US,
Your not a doctor and you certainly can&#39;t diagnose the medical conditions of millions of patients who are prescribed these drugs, I think your just guessing and trying to make your guess seem authoritative by adding the fact your prescribed them.
Since you admitted to being prescribed them your saying your mentally ill witch discredits your guess even more. [/b][/quote]
then why even bother talking about it?

Why dont you contribute something isntead of just saying im wrong and mentally ill.

Arm
02-08-2004, 01:48 AM
First I must thank the mod for posting my last post. Whoever you are, you get cookie and pat on the head.
http://www.boomspeed.com/thissitesux/therethere.gifhttp://www.womanlinks.com/cards/cookie.jpg :)

And no depression is less serious then cancer. Depression is just an emotion that makes you sad alot and you have no motivation to do anything but die. Cancer is your own body mutitating itself and other weird shit. :blink:

Though at least you people must agree with me that depression in little kids is bullshit. Anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot. Even if it does exist how do you diagnose it? C&#39;mon, drugging up Junior on prozac before he even knows what the word depression means? :huh: Yeah, right. And maybe I should give my cats some prozac too since they havent purred enough for me. :frusty:

It reminds me of that one episode of the Simpsons when Bart got sick and went to the nurses office and the lunch lady Dorra was filling in for the nurse and siad "Hey all I can give you is chewable childrens Prozac." ;) Yes, quite amusing. The Simpsons truly does make fun of anything.

Allright I don&#39;t feel like discussing this crap anymore. My views are too extreme for my own good and constantly change, are very erratic and counterdictary yadda yadda. Keep your stupid beliefs. Nobody gives a fuck what you think and the same goes for me.

Don&#39;t try to insult me and say i&#39;m an idiot. My IQ is in the 120s and just because my beliefs are different from yours don&#39;t make me an idiot. :angel2:

mogadishu
02-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Arm@7 February 2004 - 20:48
First I must thank the mod for posting my last post. Whoever you are, you get cookie and pat on the head.
http://www.boomspeed.com/thissitesux/therethere.gifhttp://www.womanlinks.com/cards/cookie.jpg :)

And no depression is less serious then cancer. Depression is just an emotion that makes you sad alot and you have no motivation to do anything but die. Cancer is your own body mutitating itself and other weird shit. :blink:

Though at least you people must agree with me that depression in little kids is bullshit. Anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot. Even if it does exist how do you diagnose it? C&#39;mon, drugging up Junior on prozac before he even knows what the word depression means? :huh: Yeah, right. And maybe I should give my cats some prozac too since they havent purred enough for me. :frusty:

It reminds me of that one episode of the Simpsons when Bart got sick and went to the nurses office and the lunch lady Dorra was filling in for the nurse and siad "Hey all I can give you is chewable childrens Prozac." ;) Yes, quite amusing. The Simpsons truly does make fun of anything.

Allright I don&#39;t feel like discussing this crap anymore. My views are too extreme for my own good and constantly change, are very erratic and counterdictary yadda yadda. Keep your stupid beliefs. Nobody gives a fuck what you think and the same goes for me.

Don&#39;t try to insult me and say i&#39;m an idiot. My IQ is in the 120s and just because my beliefs are different from yours don&#39;t make me an idiot. :angel2:
first of all i really dont care what your iq is... mine was 140 something in middle school, but i dont get that..

and we obviously feel opposite ways on this, and you dont seem to be budging.. no point in continuing this convo.

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
02-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu+7 February 2004 - 15:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mogadishu @ 7 February 2004 - 15:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>@7 February 2004 - 15:14
<!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@7 February 2004 - 02:21
Since you admitted to being prescribed them your saying your mentally ill witch discredits your guess even more.

Why dont you contribute something isntead of just saying im wrong and mentally ill. [/b][/quote]
Because I have no medical education, but I have probably saved many who would have quit taking there medicine do to your dubious advice, so I should be in contention for the Nobel prize or some other high honor like knightship.

mogadishu
02-09-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>+8 February 2004 - 15:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<TROUBLE^MAKER> @ 8 February 2004 - 15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by mogadishu@7 February 2004 - 15:52

Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>@7 February 2004 - 15:14
<!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@7 February 2004 - 02:21

Why dont you contribute something isntead of just saying im wrong and mentally ill.
Because I have no medical education, but I have probably saved many who would have quit taking there medicine do to your dubious advice, so I should be in contention for the Nobel prize or some other high honor like knightship. [/b][/quote]
what are you talking about&#33;? I am trying to encourage people to consider anti-depressants. You should be argueing with arm, not me. The only thing I said against anti-depressants was that they are overprescribed, which most people here seem to agree on.

Evil Gemini
02-09-2004, 03:59 AM
@ arm

OK look.

You keep saying that a depressed person should work out their problems without taking drugs.

Its like diabetes.

Their bodies either have to much insulin or not enough of it and they need medication to balance it all out.

Same goes for depression.

Depressed people also need medicine to balance the chemicals out. Some people brains just cant do it and need the drugs.

Just because its an emotion doesnt meen their is nothing medically wrong with the person.

Depression can be caused by an imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain. These chemicals are natural substances that allow brain cells to communicate with one another

How do antidepressants work?
Depression is thought to be caused by a reduction in the level of certain chemicals in the brain (called neurotransmitters). These affect mood by stimulating brain cells. Antidepressants increase the level of certain important neurotransmitters.

mogadishu
02-09-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Evil Gemini@8 February 2004 - 22:59
@ arm

OK look.

You keep saying that a depressed person should work out their problems without taking drugs.

Its like diabetes.

Their bodies either have to much insulin or not enough of it and they need medication to balance it all out.

Same goes for depression.

Depressed people also need medicine to balance the chemicals out. Some people brains just cant do it and need the drugs.

Just because its an emotion doesnt meen their is nothing medically wrong with the person.

Depression can be caused by an imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain. These chemicals are natural substances that allow brain cells to communicate with one another

How do antidepressants work?
Depression is thought to be caused by a reduction in the level of certain chemicals in the brain (called neurotransmitters). These affect mood by stimulating brain cells. Antidepressants increase the level of certain important neurotransmitters.
thank you for posting some facts.. i should have done that sooner.

Canti
02-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Arm@6 February 2004 - 01:42
Well kids are drugged the most in the States thats why it&#39;s such a big deal. Not to menction they have people who are paid by the schools(and probably on pharmaceutical companies payroll) to go evaluate a kid at school, without the parents consent, and tell the school officials all these things thats wrong with a kid and recommends whatever drugs the company has in stock. Then the school tells the parents this and says they have to put their kids in drugs or they will file a complaint with social services for child neglect.

:rolleyes: Fucking country.
This is the truth... I have seen more than one investigative report on this matter and there is something rotten going on between pharmaceutical companies and the government. I saw one case where a family had their children taken away by child services because the school insisted they drug their child, and they refused.

Oh and as im sure most of you will know, these are the guidelines to identifying ADHD:

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), according to the American Psychiatric Association

"The clinical features of ADHD include the following:

• the individual has difficulty sustaining attention
• is easily distracted
• often does not seem to listen
• often shifts from one uncompleted activity to another
• often loses things necessary for tasks
• often interrupts or intrudes on others
• has difficulty awaiting turn in groups
• often blurts out answers to questions
• often engages in physically dangerous activities without considering the consequences o often talks excessively
• has difficulty playing quietly
• has difficulty remaining seated
• often fidgets or squirms in seat
• has difficulty following instructions.

Where eight or more of these apply, ADHD is likely to be present."

Like come on, are we really that far beyond reason that billions gets spent on anti drug programs and the "War" on drugs, then turn around and ENFORCE medication based on symptoms that are extremely similar to a normal behavior? Even to the extreme of involving child services? No wonder people are getting depressed, I would too if I had to put up with a double standard that large.

After 9/11 CNN reported about a new disorder that im sure was just MADE UP, because one of the symptoms was "Apprehension about the future" WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? How can you accept such loose guidelines? Could you sign a contract so loosely worded? I certainly couldn&#39;t...

As for ADD or ADHD, I&#39;d be asking for 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th opinions.

Weedy
02-12-2004, 10:34 PM
@canti that means i have adhd :lol: :D :lol:

Evil Gemini
02-13-2004, 02:02 AM
• is easily distracted
• often engages in physically dangerous activities without considering the consequences o often talks excessively

OK lets seee ummm......

thats about......99.9% of all the kids on this planet :P

dwightfry
02-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Q. How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a lightbulb

A. Wanna go ride bike?

Arm
02-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by dwightfry@13 February 2004 - 11:38
Q. How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a lightbulb

A. Wanna go ride bike?
:D Hell yes.

Canti, it&#39;s good to see someone agrees with me. :smilie4:
When Arm not in good mood he can be extremly radical and irraitonal in his views. :ph34r: Oh yeah something is definetly up with the pharmaceutical companies and the schools. The best thing for parents to do is never get their kids tested for ADHD. If the school people make the parents diagnose their kids, they should tell the schools to fuck off.

Pump the kids full of drugs so they shut up and the school gets money from the pharmaceutical companies and since the drugs turn the kids into zombies, the lazy school people don&#39;t have to deal with them. Same goes for the fat, lazy, ignorant and irresponsible parents.

• is easily distracted
1) Arm has no attencton span.
2) I am very easily distracted.
3) Yeah that can happen alot too.
4) I&#39;m not really sure. :huh:
5) Again I don&#39;t know
6) Yeah I do that alot. B)
7) Although I prefer not to wait I can.
8) Yep I blurt out answers alot. :angel2:
9) Nope I am precautious. :) But I do talk too much.
10) No I can play quietly. Unless you are my dad and the sound of a pin dropping on a carpet floor can wake you up.

And for the last 3 Arm has &#39;em all. :( Hmm so I just have 8 of the symptoms. :lookaround: