PDA

View Full Version : Musicworld Database

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Movie Database (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=25&t=18585)
I just saw this thread today over in MovieWorld(yeah I know...I am slow to some things :P ) and think it is a great idea.So I decided to start one here so It would not conflict with that world. :blink:
___________________________________________________________________________________

:) As you all know I have never been a big supporter of KazaaLite and hash files.But everybody else is so I am willing to change my routine for the forum.I still think it is easier for people to go through a program like SoulSeek for Music but we shall see.

I need to go through my verifeds I have posted in the can because I am not sharing alot of them no more at the moment.When I was sharing them on Kazaa alot of people did get them though and that is why I brought them back to the top.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Colt Seevers Albums (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=32&t=1763) and Infested Cats Music (http://www.jvicdesigns.com/kazaa/hashes.htm) are 2 great ways to do the hash files with the pictures.
____________________________________________________________________________________

:) But like jetje said it would be much more difficult with Music.And he is right,people have different taste in the quality of their Music.What type of Stereo Mode(Joint or regular Stereo)?What bitrate(128,160,192 or higher)?What Encoder?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Any ideas form Colt or Infested would be nice.....and also suggestions from other members.Not in no big rush.....as we all know we get things done slowly sometimes around here.But it all works out good in the end. :)

FC B)

imported_computerfreak76
03-04-2003, 12:52 PM
as far as the bitrate why not 192?

that way that should be good enough quality and they can always use a program to lower it to 128 or whatever.

imported_computerfreak76
03-04-2003, 12:54 PM
also funky why not get one of the mods to start a few polls regarding the questions you posed that way you can go with what most people prefer.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-04-2003, 03:32 PM
:) I agree with 192 bitrate also,that is what I rip my CDs and CDs I borrow from Family and Freinds...Infested Cats rips his at that bitrate also.

The only problem I have is out of the over 1600 CDs I have downloaded how many are 192 bitrate?I usually just download anything 160 bitrate or higher...makes it easier to find stuff.But out of 1600 I am sure quite a few hundred are 192 bitrate.....I would have to go throiugh every CDR to check which ones but that would be ok...just take awhile. :wacko: :blink:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-04-2003, 04:44 PM
<_< Pretty sad.....Micheal Jackson gets 75 replies in 3 days.....we have 3.Only 1 replie from another person besides myself.I have always said this is not the forum to talk about Music.....but come on&#33;&#33;&#33; :wacko:

:devil: I will make Musicworld a popular place if it is the last thing I do here.....I swear I will. :devil:

tilen76
03-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Just to express my support to you.
I love your idea and you have all my support. B)

I&#39;m just too busy helping to start the Movie database at the moment.

I&#39;m just not sure if this database is necessary at all, because yours Verified music topic alone already looks like one. Perhaps all you need to do is combine yours, Colt Seevers&#39;s and Infested Cats&#39;s topic. You just need to ask a Mod to give you certain privileges with that thread (editing, merging, ...) and organize it a bit and post album covers.

But if you are gonna try do it anyway, I suggest you sort it by artist name and put down album covers, perhaps even a Sig2Dat to an Albumwrap (whole album in 1 file, .rar, .zip, ...) if it exists.

I wish you all the luck.
;)

Skillian
03-04-2003, 05:44 PM
I&#39;d really like this too. There are plenty of movie verifieds databases on the net but not many music ones (that I know of).

About the bitrate, why not allow anything 160 or above? 192 only would limit it too much and people could have trouble finding sources. FC&#39;s and others&#39; threads are nice, but nothing compared to a proper alphabetised database. Also I would love to see albumwraps included. It would make it much easier to sort out my shared folder&#33; at the moment I have aso many files in there and it&#39;s not always easy to match them up. I would also love a daily reccommended type thing, to point people towards music they might not know or search for.

Despite the less than enthusiastic response here, I&#39;m sure it would be popular. B)

Jibbler
03-04-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@4 March 2003 - 10:32
I agree with 192 bitrate also,that is what I rip my CDs and CDs I borrow from Family and Freinds...Infested Cats rips his at that bitrate also.

The only problem I have is out of the over 1600 CDs I have downloaded how many are 192 bitrate?I usually just download anything 160 bitrate or higher...makes it easier to find stuff.
192 is definitely the standard for new rips. Older rips can always be re-done in 192 format if they are popular. My only suggestion, is that full CDs be separated from single songs. However I definitely like the "picture of CD, short description, then file list in hashes" format. Quick, easy, and it allows for simple organizing of threads later. Also, I think full CDs should come with a .m3u playlist or something like that. They are easy to make, and it would really improve the quality of posts on these boards. :huh: --

Jibbler

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@4 March 2003 - 14:04
192 is definitely the standard for new rips. Older rips can always be re-done in 192 format if they are popular.
:&#39;( Only if they are from the original source.Once you have already downloaded them from somebody at say 160 bitrate there is no point in ripping them files to 192 bitrate.....only makes them worst.

But I am sure you knew that. :)

Benno
03-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@4 March 2003 - 20:04
My only suggestion, is that full CDs be separated from single songs. However I definitely like the "picture of CD, short description, then file list in hashes" format. Quick, easy, and it allows for simple organizing of threads later. Also, I think full CDs should come with a .m3u playlist or something like that. They are easy to make, and it would really improve the quality of posts on these boards. :huh: --

Jibbler
I think only full albums should be on there anyway. :-)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-04-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Benno+4 March 2003 - 14:22--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno @ 4 March 2003 - 14:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jibbler@4 March 2003 - 20:04
My only suggestion, is that full CDs be separated from single songs.&nbsp; However I definitely like the "picture of CD, short description, then file list in hashes" format.&nbsp; Quick, easy, and it allows for simple organizing of threads later.&nbsp; Also, I think full CDs should come with a .m3u playlist or something like that.&nbsp; They are easy to make, and it would really improve the quality of posts on these boards. :huh: --

Jibbler
I think only full albums should be on there anyway. :-) [/b][/quote]
:) The database would definitely only be Full Albums.I should of put that at the top.....sorry. :)

Jibbler
03-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Benno@4 March 2003 - 14:22
We have to include songs that don&#39;t have full album releases yet, like the new Linkin Park song. Its only a single, but there should be a place for it, until the full CD rip is out.

Yes Funky, I know you can&#39;t re-rip a song without the originals. However, I have over 450 original CDs mostly from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. I could easily re-rip a popular title if there was a high demand for it. :huh: B) --

Jibbler

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@4 March 2003 - 14:30
Yes Funky, I know you can&#39;t re-rip a song without the originals. However, I have over 450 original CDs mostly from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. I could easily re-rip a popular title if there was a high demand for it. :huh: B) --

Jibbler
:w00t: Ohhhhhhh yeah....we want your stuff.....get to work. :w00t:

Benno
03-04-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler+4 March 2003 - 20:30--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 4 March 2003 - 20:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Benno@4 March 2003 - 14:22
We have to include songs that don&#39;t have full album releases yet, like the new Linkin Park song. Its only a single, but there should be a place for it, until the full CD rip is out.
[/b][/quote]
in that case you can put up the whole single. Its also a complete release.

namzuf9
03-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Gr8 idea FC. If anything it could help to expand and evole our musical tastes by introducing new artists to our community. Its gonna be a lot of work though are you up for it?
As for the issue of bitrate I think 192 is good for all. It does&#39;nt bloat the filesize too much and if you can tell the difference from a cd; become a sound engineer&#33; :lol:

DataMore
03-04-2003, 08:34 PM
You could also put up links to the albums&#39; covers.
http://covertarget.com/ is the best one I know, since the audio section of www.cdcovers.cc went down. :huh:
192 kbps and 160 kbps as the default bitrates are fine. B)
Post the album pic, the bitrate of each album and that&#39;s it.

How about creating these sections:

Full Albums
Singles
Original Sound Tracks
Movie Scores (I&#39;ve seen your list, FC :D )

I know it would double the work but for a real music lover like you FC, this is nothing&#33; ;)

J'Pol
03-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Cooking by gas as they say. This is an excellent project. I agree with the full album thing. Particularly if it is wraps, zips or rars, not just a post cotaining a dozen different links. However if that&#39;s the only option for some things then let it be.

The music can be split up in genres and alphabetically within that. I would prefer alphabetical by artist, however so long as it is searchable then it&#39;s not really a prob.

Ideas

Could we have the cover to print. If so could they be the size of a CD case. Ideally to copy and paste to a doc then simply print and cut out. Basically square original size pics. For ease of use.

A Track list of the same size may also be helpful. Remember I&#39;m really lazy

Really chancing my arm here, would it be possible to publish the circular version, say the CD itself. Then we could print labels to go on the CD.

If you could stick a brush up your arse and whistle dixie while you are doing it then so much the better.

Basic Layout I would Like would include

Artist
Title
Sig
Front and Back Covers (Square CD Box Size)
Track List (As above)
Circular CD sized sticky label thing

One last thing the people running it should be Rockers. All the power of Mods, but with an attitude problem. They should also be able to "Steal" from other posts to fill in gaps. Perhaps with a wee credit. e.g. from the original post by Tommy the Tadpole

I&#39;m looking forward to this. Good Luck

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by JmiF@4 March 2003 - 15:53
If you could stick a brush up your arse and whistle dixie while you are doing it then so much the better.

:w00t: I will try this and get back to ya. :w00t:

Nevermind.....lets find Wocus. :lol:

Luca_Snipes
03-04-2003, 09:29 PM
I agree with most things that have been said here, definatly include the cover art etc, but with the bit rate it&#39;s more tricky, i never rip at CBR, all mine (all 4500 of em, follow the link in my sig, or check out my Fserve on IRC) were ripped at 192VBR, so the rate does change, just something that needs to be taken into account.
Going with What JmiF sait, also include the style of music in the description, it would help ppl decide if they wanted to try it or not.

I&#39;m also for Full Albums only, personly i&#39;ve never seen the point in singles.

And I&#39;m avail for helping with this little project too :P

What about file naming conventions? I&#39;m currenly in the process of naming all mine to the following

Artist - Album - track# - title

could this be reflected some how in this?

Also lookign forward to the results of this :)

J'Pol
03-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+4 March 2003 - 21:57--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 4 March 2003 - 21:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@4 March 2003 - 15:53

:w00t: I will try this and get back to ya. :w00t:

Nevermind.....lets find Wocus. :lol:[/b][/quote]
You supply the brush, I&#39;ll do the sticking.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-05-2003, 08:40 PM
;) We also have to consider what encoders are allowed in.I mean I download anything 160 bitrate or higher just because Encspot says it is not bad and I don&#39;t mind so alot of what I have downloaded from people are encoded with older encoders.....Xing.And nowadays alot of people will only except MP3s encoded with at least the newest version of LAME or what not.

DataMore
03-05-2003, 08:43 PM
The newest version of Lame (3.93) is sh&#33;t. :x
The best encoders right now are Lame (3.92) and Fraunhoffer. ;)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by DataMore@5 March 2003 - 15:43
The newest version of Lame (3.93) is sh&#33;t. :x
The best encoders right now are Lame (3.92) and Fraunhoffer. ;)
:) That is what I use when ripping my collection(LAME 3.92). :)

:huh: So what we have so far is 192 bitrate or above only and must be at least LAME 3.92 and Fraunhoffer.What other ENCODERS are as good as LAME and Fraunhoffer or better? :huh:

J'Pol
03-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Just a wee thought. Why don&#39;t you get what is available just now, even if it is 128k bitrate. To make the DB as complete as possible. Put that all together then change the songs / albums as higher rate rips become available.

If there are already versions which meet your criteria then obviously this would not be an issue. However you wouldn&#39;t want to miss stuff out, particularly rare stuff, just because it wasn&#39;t up to the exact standard, even though it was quite acceptable.

DataMore
03-05-2003, 09:00 PM
If you use the VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoding method (wheter with Lame or Fraunhoffer), it will create better quality mp3&#39;s.

If you don&#39;t know what I&#39;m talking about, read this (http://www.webreview.com/1999/05_21/designers/05_21_99_5.shtml). ;)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by DataMore@5 March 2003 - 16:00
If you use the VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoding method (wheter with Lame or Fraunhoffer), it will create better quality mp3&#39;s.

If you don&#39;t know what I&#39;m talking about, read this (http://www.webreview.com/1999/05_21/designers/05_21_99_5.shtml). ;)
;) I know what Variable Bit Rate...I have just always used constant bit rate.

We have to look into this issue also.....damn jetje was right...this is alot more work then the Movie Database :lol: .Where is Infested Cats and Colt Seevers? :blink:

DataMore
03-05-2003, 09:17 PM
OK, I just made a search on Google and it turns out that VBR isn&#39;t compatible with some MP3 players. :x
Just stick with the CBR. ;)

Luca_Snipes
03-05-2003, 10:22 PM
OK, I just made a search on Google and it turns out that VBR isn&#39;t compatible with some MP3 players. :x
Just stick with the CBR. ;)

The only PC MP3 player that I know of that doesn&#39;t like VBR mp3&#39;s is Windows Media Player, and that just can&#39;t calculate the length correclty, as is the case with most portable MP3 players, instead of the time they just display "VBR" or simmilar

Jibbler
03-06-2003, 01:24 AM
LAME 192k sounds great. CD covers and extras like playlists would also be nice.

My biggest complaint about previous posts on this forum are the albumwraps. There are so many sources for mp3s on the web. There is no reason to albumwrap anything. I hate downloading more software when I could just find the files faster by searching.

I suggest that we post the individual songs, with a CD cover, a track list or .NFO, and a playlist if possible. If you really want to serve the full CD, then .zip or .rar the files. I see no need in forcing people to download a full CD for only one song.--

Jibbler

Jibbler
03-06-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Luca_Snipes@5 March 2003 - 17:22
The only PC MP3 player that I know of that doesn&#39;t like VBR mp3&#39;s is Windows Media Player, and that just can&#39;t calculate the length correclty, as is the case with most portable MP3 players, instead of the time they just display "VBR" or simmilar
Windows Media Player 9 works 100% for me. Maybe this was an older WMP problem?--

Jibbler

Adster
03-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+6 March 2003 - 07:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 6 March 2003 - 07:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DataMore@5 March 2003 - 16:00

;) I know what Variable Bit Rate...I have just always used constant bit rate.

We have to look into this issue also.....damn jetje was right...this is alot more work then the Movie Database :lol: .Where is Infested Cats and Colt Seevers? :blink: [/b][/quote]
Oh how things change with using VBR :P