PDA

View Full Version : Big Big Cd Images...

maybe
03-04-2003, 10:02 AM
as the title says, how do u burn cd images larger than 720mb on cds? without zipping them of course...

thanks guys!

tilen76
03-04-2003, 10:17 AM
If it is an image, like .BIN or .ISO, you don't need to worry about the size of it, once you burn it as an image, it will fit on a 80min disk. Images can be up to 800 MB big, but once burned they fit the 80min disk.

One way is to open Nero, close down Wizard (if you're using it), go to File menu, choose Burn image, point to the .CUE file (if you are burning .BIN image) or .ISO file, choose your speed (I recommend lower speeds for that) and you should be fine.

;)

jtemp82
03-04-2003, 02:02 PM
(If you don't feel like reading all this skip to the end of the message)

you're probly used to an 80 minute only holding 700 MB of Data right? Well a disk actually holds more bytes than that, but what happens is that only 2048 (correct me if i get the numbers slightly off) bytes of each 2352 byte sector (a cd is split into a bunch of these 2352 byte sectors) is used for the actual data. The rest of the 2352 is used for error correction. This is why normally burning a data cd at a fast speed is safe, youve got over 300 bytes of error correction to make up for mistakes in the burning process. So an 80 minute cd might normally hold only 700 MB of DATA, but the entire image is larger (up to about 800 MB) once you acount for the error correction.

These images that you download and burn are ripped and burnt in raw 2352 byte format, which means the image file will contain up to the whole 800 or so MB.

This is also why you want to be a little more careful burning these raw images than you are with normal data, cuz you don't have the automatic error codes to make up for mistakes in the burning.

(This is also why burning audio cds and playstation disks often results in errors, they use mode2 i believe instead of the 2048 byte mode1 of data, which gives them less error correction codes, i forget exactly how many bytes that mode uses. So with them you also want to burn slowly)

To make it short and sweet, your image file is gonna be larger than the actual data on the final cd, so dont flip if youve got a big a$$ image file.

EDIT:and tilen76 is right, you specifically choose file|burn image in nero instead of just droppin the image on the disk as a normal file (where it wouldnt fit) this tells nero exactly how to treat the image file

cooolway
03-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Just download Nero and burn it on CD
Simple as that

Yanks0826
03-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jtemp82@4 March 2003 - 15:02
(If you don't feel like reading all this skip to the end of the message)

you're probly used to an 80 minute only holding 700 MB of Data right? Well a disk actually holds more bytes than that, but what happens is that only 2048 (correct me if i get the numbers slightly off) bytes of each 2352 byte sector (a cd is split into a bunch of these 2352 byte sectors) is used for the actual data. The rest of the 2352 is used for error correction. This is why normally burning a data cd at a fast speed is safe, youve got over 300 bytes of error correction to make up for mistakes in the burning process. So an 80 minute cd might normally hold only 700 MB of DATA, but the entire image is larger (up to about 800 MB) once you acount for the error correction.

These images that you download and burn are ripped and burnt in raw 2352 byte format, which means the image file will contain up to the whole 800 or so MB.

This is also why you want to be a little more careful burning these raw images than you are with normal data, cuz you don't have the automatic error codes to make up for mistakes in the burning.

(This is also why burning audio cds and playstation disks often results in errors, they use mode2 i believe instead of the 2048 byte mode1 of data, which gives them less error correction codes, i forget exactly how many bytes that mode uses. So with them you also want to burn slowly)

To make it short and sweet, your image file is gonna be larger than the actual data on the final cd, so dont flip if youve got a big a$$ image file.

EDIT:and tilen76 is right, you specifically choose file|burn image in nero instead of just droppin the image on the disk as a normal file (where it wouldnt fit) this tells nero exactly how to treat the image file
Very nice, well said!

I am replying to this so I know where to find it