PDA

View Full Version : What's Overnet Good For?

Vamp
02-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Games? Movies? Music? Wha?

Wolfmight
02-08-2004, 04:23 AM
It's supposed to be better than emule, but i found it worse because there is a searching problem were the program refuses to find anything whatsoever after 20 mins.

p2pmaster
02-08-2004, 01:42 PM
but if you want speed go with overnet

B)

Cyril
02-08-2004, 07:27 PM
And make sure you use the verifieds as there are plenty of fakes. Look here (http://www.sharereactor.com)

MvM
02-10-2004, 06:01 PM
well overnet is great for larger files +100 megs and KL++ musics and small and emule for hard to find but make sure not to big or will take FOREVER. trust me i know ;) .

MUSLEMAN
02-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@8 February 2004 - 00:23
It's supposed to be better than emule, but i found it worse because there is a searching problem were the program refuses to find anything whatsoever after 20 mins.
well then you got something wrong with yours. mine never does that.

its good for pretty much everything but music is not that great yet

thisiswhoweare
02-10-2004, 07:39 PM
sounds like what i PMed to you MM. :P

MUSLEMAN
02-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@10 February 2004 - 15:39
sounds like what i PMed to you MM. :P
ok so there is 2 of you with the same problem, your point is??? :frusty: :P

thisiswhoweare
02-10-2004, 08:11 PM
exactly that... 2 people have search problems :P
whats yours lol. :lol:

MUSLEMAN
02-10-2004, 08:17 PM
that a million don't :P :lol:

thisiswhoweare
02-10-2004, 09:09 PM
that your aware of.

Unless you've asked every overnet user then you cant say theres only two people who have had this problem. There could be people who use ed2k links only, and dont need search :), and theres people who used it and it didnt work and they dont use it anymore. :D

MUSLEMAN
02-11-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@10 February 2004 - 17:09
that your aware of.

Unless you've asked every overnet user then you cant say theres only two people who have had this problem. There could be people who use ed2k links only, and dont need search :), and theres people who used it and it didnt work and they dont use it anymore. :D
first why don't you check out the overnet forum

second, there is alot more than a million users on overnet, but i only said million for a reason

as far as people who only use ed2k link and people who don't use search anymore well...roflmao, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thisiswhoweare
02-11-2004, 01:35 AM
1) why should i put myself through that torture :P :rolleyes: (it isnt an overnet forum as such, mostly a edonkey with a bit of overnet chucked in).

2)i didnt say there werent more than a mill. But not quite the same no of emule users though :) still 1million plus users im sure there are more than 2 with this problem.

3) its possible. :01: :lol:

sarefin
02-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@11 February 2004 - 01:35
1) why should i put myself through that torture :P :rolleyes: (it isnt an overnet forum as such, mostly a edonkey with a bit of overnet chucked in).

2)i didnt say there werent more than a mill. But not quite the same no of emule users though :) still 1million plus users im sure there are more than 2 with this problem.

3) its possible. :01: :lol:
Hi Pretender or AndyCycle You are.

Cyril
02-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Um, you've confused me. With Overnet aren't you connecting to the same database of users as Emule - in which case the user count is the same.

And if it can't find something after 20 minutes then isn't there a pretty good chance it ain't there!

~FunK_mOb~
02-11-2004, 08:59 AM
I've been thinking about installing overnet for a while now,but I'm not sure wich one.I'll probably start of with the basic overnet to see how it works but when I go to downloads on their site (http://www.overnet.com/downloads.php) there are two different ones to download :huh: 'GUI version' and 'Command line client'.Am I supposed to download both of them to get it working?Or just the one I find has the nicest name :lol: ............... :huh: seriously,help me out here.
And is the pro really better than the basic one or is there no difference between them?

thisiswhoweare
02-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Cyril@11 February 2004 - 07:34
Um, you've confused me. With Overnet aren't you connecting to the same database of users as Emule - in which case the user count is the same.

And if it can't find something after 20 minutes then isn't there a pretty good chance it ain't there!
overnet can connect to emules network as well as its own.... (im still not sure about this though, havent found any text about this to back it up), anyway emule has 2 mill users on ed2k network, but overnet only has 1.5 ish mill i think, but you can connect to more people as sources since your using ed2k as well as overnet network.

well i tried lord (as in LOTR) and got nothing,... you saying that lord of the rings or other lord files arent on it or on ed2ks network? :P

Cyril
02-11-2004, 10:38 AM
LOTR is on their. Musleman used a download that of an example in 1 of these threads. It's on Sharereactor so you should check there - 4 parts so around 1.2 to 1.4 Gig.

Any idea why Overnet will only ever show on mine as around 400,000 users. Right now shows 344,064.

MUSLEMAN
02-11-2004, 12:47 PM
the users are just an estimate.

@~FunK_mOb~ download the gui , and the pro is nothing then the regulare without the banner. which you just use the loader for.

@thisiswhoweare, i belive there is enough users here that have changed to overnet and like it alot better then "slowmule", and i don't see everybody here nagging about the search.

sure it does exitst but its not overnet, its the enviroment on your pc :lol:

thisiswhoweare
02-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Cyril@11 February 2004 - 09:38
LOTR is on their. Musleman used a download that of an example in 1 of these threads. It's on Sharereactor so you should check there - 4 parts so around 1.2 to 1.4 Gig.

Any idea why Overnet will only ever show on mine as around 400,000 users. Right now shows 344,064.
@Cyril.

Your missing my point :) thats what i mean. LOTR is on the overnet and emule network and i tried LOTR as a search name, and got zip results after half hr. And for other names for that matter.

@MM
right now im expecting lots of people to go on overnet because they will get the impression of it as "just another kazaalite" and the overnet network is gonna end up with leechers and fakers. :angry: and people who unshare files as soon as they dl them although i hope i am wrong.

MUSLEMAN
02-11-2004, 04:46 PM
no if you read alot of people came to emule because paul said it was better, but as every body has tried overnet they stayed becasue they like the speed and its easier to use. just read the posts. :P

thisiswhoweare
02-11-2004, 05:56 PM
but when you read most ppls replys, they say overnet is like kazaa (speedwise/simplicity). Which makes me worried cos we all know how kazaa is now. It wouldnt bother me if it was on its own network but as its branching from emules then im concerned.

MUSLEMAN
02-11-2004, 07:23 PM
emmm well first of all the only thing wrong with klite is the riaa, and the idiots who kept the corrupt files. untill the riaa comes over to this network we are cool :lol:

and once again boss emule is a branch of overnet/edonkey not the other way around.

remember first came edonkey then emule copied edonkey in a way :lol:

thisiswhoweare
02-11-2004, 09:23 PM
by branching i mean downloading off , as in overnet downloading from its own clients and emule/edonkeys network.

Do you have any text which says that overnet does download from ed2k network? I aint seen any and ive never noticed any overnet status clients as sources, so unless they connect under some other name like hybrid im sure they dont. Overnet would still need servers of emule to download from emule clients that which im sure of.

MUSLEMAN
02-12-2004, 04:43 AM
Both eDonkey2000 and Overnet use the same transfer protocol so files can be shared between them. The main difference between them is the way in which they publish and find files and sources for files.

eDonkey2000 publishes to servers that can be set up by anyone. Once the network reaches a certain size these servers become a bottle neck to the performance. Users can no longer search the entire network for things they are interested in. And the servers become more and more bogged down.

Overnet searches and publishes in a completely decentralized way. It works such that when you search you are searching all users of the network. Overnet can scale to millions of concurrent users with no loss of performance. It fixes the problems with the eDonkey2000 network. more info

The version of eDonkey2000 that we have available for download publishes to both donkey servers and to the Overnet network. It is meant to ease the transition from the older eDonkey2000 network to the newer and superior Overnet network. The Overnet client is simpler to use and just as effective as the eDonkey2000 client so we suggest you use it

junkyardking
02-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Also one of the biggest diffrences between emule and overnet, is overnet supports a system called the "horde" this pairs users with others that are also downloading the same file, this is why people are getting better speeds on overnet compared to emules archane credit system...

MUSLEMAN
02-12-2004, 11:47 PM
any more question kids?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

kAb
02-14-2004, 07:51 PM
:music1: ... what is it good for... absolutely nothing... huh. huh :music1: