PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Wont Free Up

Déjà Vu
02-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Okay, a few day ago i was deleting some files to free up some space. I deleted about 3.5 GB but the hard drive free space stayed 434 MB :blink: I scanned the disk for errors and defragmented it but nothing changed. Can anyone offer any help?

Triadcool
02-08-2004, 06:45 PM
A while back my hard drive did the same thing, I couldnt figure out what was wrong and in did up reformating my hard drive, it fixed the problem. But im not recommending reformating im just telling you what I did and that I had the same problem.

TheFilePirater
02-08-2004, 07:28 PM
did you empty the recycle bin? <_<

DarthInsinuate
02-08-2004, 08:48 PM
have you got System Restore on? - try limiting the space it&#39;s allowed

Robert00000
02-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by TheFilePirater@8 February 2004 - 19:28
did you empty the recycle bin? <_<
If you&#39;re new to pc&#39;s then this is the answer :lol:

kaiweiler
02-09-2004, 01:32 AM
or if you have norton, doesnt it have that unerase wizard thing on your pc and saves copies of all the deleted files or something? could be that...

Robert00000
02-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@9 February 2004 - 01:32
or if you have norton, doesnt it have that unerase wizard thing on your pc and saves copies of all the deleted files or something? could be that...
Yep that could be true, i&#39;ve heard something like that before,but i don&#39;t use norton so cant advise.

peat moss
02-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@8 February 2004 - 17:32
Ya empty both &#33;&#33; same mistake we all made :lol:

Déjà Vu
02-09-2004, 02:57 PM
I emptied the recycle bin and the norton files before I even posted my problem. I did an antivirus scan on the whole hard drive and it found html.redlof.a but it wasn&#39;t in the system files. Anyway I turned off the computer and came the next day and found that everything was correct&#33;? I don&#39;t know what happened. Thanks for your advice anyway.

kaiweiler
02-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Probably just stored temp files of all the deleted files somewhere on your HD and was set to remove after shutdown, something like that, anyway, glad it&#39;s fixed&#33;
:beerchug:

atiVidia
02-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@8 February 2004 - 20:32
norton unerase does not save copies of files at all:

it can recover files that were deleted w/o backups. heres how:

windows, rather than physically overwriting the thing with a million zeros, instead places a tag on the region occupied by the deleted file which sez "free space." the file is still there, untouched&#33; (until windows writes something over it) norton unerase (and other proggies) bypass windows and are able to remove the tag.

very useful when kazaa deletes a corrupted file. u can use the corruption fixer thingie and BOOM u dont have to redownload it&#33;

atiVidia
02-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Déjà Vu@9 February 2004 - 09:57
I emptied the recycle bin and the norton files before I even posted my problem. I did an antivirus scan on the whole hard drive and it found html.redlof.a but it wasn&#39;t in the system files. Anyway I turned off the computer and came the next day and found that everything was correct&#33;? I don&#39;t know what happened. Thanks for your advice anyway.
sory for double post

lol i kno what happened: windows has a fucked habit of not refreshing the drive space... :blink:

dont ask me why, ask m&#036; :lol:

tesco
02-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia+9 February 2004 - 17:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (atiVidia @ 9 February 2004 - 17:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Déjà Vu@9 February 2004 - 09:57
sory for double post

lol i kno what happened: windows has a fucked habit of not refreshing the drive space... :blink:

dont ask me why, ask m&#036; :lol: [/b][/quote]
everything in my computer has problems, sometimes i have that problem with the hard drive space not showed correctly until i restart and sometimes i take a cd out of my drive but windows doesnt notice and it still says the name of the cd that used to be in the drive (example: i have need for speed disc 2 in my drive then remove it and instead of the drive name changing from NFSUDISK2 to cdrw drive, it stays as NFSUDISK2) also autorun doesnt work whenever this problem occurs.

gungrave
02-09-2004, 10:22 PM
my be u deleted the shortcuts :lol: