PDA

View Full Version : Fake Keepers

SpaceKebab
03-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Are there only members of the RIAA connected when I am, or why do some people keep fake files and share them ??

TRshady
03-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Usually people share a fake downloaded file without changing the filename afterwards.. Its usually not on purpose. But, even if I change the filename and actual name in kazaa people still download 'norton antivirus 3 - beta' without reading filenames. So I usually just delete those fake files.

SuperJude™
03-04-2003, 06:30 PM
This has been discussed quite a bit acually.

#1-lamers
#2-lamers trying to get a higher PL
#3- people too lame to delete their fakes.

-SJ™

RPerry
03-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by SuperJude™@4 March 2003 - 13:30
This has been discussed quite a bit acually.

#1-lamers
#2-lamers trying to get a higher PL
#3- people too lame to delete their fakes.

-SJ™
So basically what you mean SJ is that it is all pretty lame?

:P

arie_huberts
03-04-2003, 08:32 PM
I just send the person a message and tell him to rename or delete the file. It won't help much but every bit helps

MagicNakor
03-05-2003, 02:10 AM
Sometimes it'll be a fake file (in the case with a song or movie, usually) that the person just liked anyway, and either didn't rename it or forgot to rename it.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-05-2003, 02:12 AM
Tips for finding verified movies:

After about 10 megs or 10% of the total DL of the movie, use Avipreview and see if its your movie. Click the screen of Avipreview and an Index should pop up with some info. If the video or audio part has 0 (zero), then its a fake.

After searching and thinking you have enough users, expand the list so you can see all the users for that file by clicking the "+" box to the left of the title and scroll down and check to see if the filenames match up to the movie your looking for and read the yellow description boxes that pop up too. Sometimes it will say if its a fake or not.

Look at the length of the movie. A trick I learned awhile ago is that any movie with the length of 1:02:08 is a fake.

Check the file size of the movie. Make sure its reasonable. Sometimes the movie is split into two or three parts for easier downloading.
Check the hashes in the verifieds. That will usually say if a movie is out or not and will usually tell of its quality. Always check the verifieds first before looking for a movie which will save you some time.

Some of the above can work on finding if its real or not on other things like software and such.

slick nick
03-05-2003, 05:36 AM
Any file that has a time of 1:02:00 is a fake right off the back. But sometimes it's a person who left their computer on and went away downloaded the file but isn't at the comp to delete and before they can you're getting it off them.

alextheseal
03-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Report that fake to us and we will block it. Included in the program is a fakes reporting system.

Peerbuddy for Kazaa A P2P Firewall/Quality Filter Beta block list now at 2,200,000 IP’s blocked.

The block list has been updated and now currently blocks over 2,200,000 IP addresses. New additions to the list are being found daily. Beta users will get an email with an update link. New beta users are encouraged to join at http://www.isopleth.com/peerbuddy.htm . No Ad-ware, Spy-ware or viruses.

PeerBuddy is a mini firewall for P2P (Kazaa, EMule, etc). The program filters out the IP addresses of people who share blank, or faked files and it prevents you from wasting your time downloading those bad files. This will help with your downloads since a number of organizations and individuals are sharing bad and blank files out there. It is also going to be blocking known email miners, stalkers, spammers and surveillance companies.

Shinigami, Good tips!