PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Add Subtitle Files To A Movie?

lurker
03-04-2003, 09:51 PM
I've got the IDX file, the IFO file and the SUB file. I'm just not sure what to do with them. Any suggestions?

DataMore
03-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Do you want to permanently add the subtitles to the movie or not?

johnnytightlips2
03-04-2003, 10:06 PM
do you guys know where to get the ifo file?

lurker
03-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Permanent works for me. But really any means to do it is fine as my Japanese isn't so good :)

DataMore
03-04-2003, 10:48 PM
The better way is the non-permanent way, since the original movie will always be intact and you can still share it as a copy of the original. :)
I recommend using BSPlayer. It supports .txt, .sub, .srt.

Do the following:

Open up BSPlayer.
Right-click on BSPlayer, go to 'Options' > 'Preferences...'
Click on the subtitles tab and choose the 'Subtitles Directory'
Put the subtitles file inside that directory.
Now, if your subtitles file has the exact same name as the movie file, whenever you open up that movie, the subs will automatically be loaded too.
If not, you'll have to load them yourself manually. Do the following:

Open up the movie you want to watch.
Right-Click on BSPlayer and click on 'Load subtitles...'
Choose the subs you want to load and click 'Open'.

NOTE: If you can't see the subs after you loaded them, chances are that the subs are deactivated or their color is black.
To change this, right-click on the movie (not BSPlayer) go to 'Subtitles...' and make sure the 'Show subtitles' option is checked.
If you still can't see them, right-click on the movie, go to 'Subtitles...' > 'Font' and make sure that the color white is checked.

If you have any more problems, just ask! :)

lurker
03-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Hmm, followed all suggestions but still no subs. the only thing I didn't do was the r-click on movie and select subtitles show option as I don't see such an option
It's an avi file the sub file has same name as movie file

lurker
03-04-2003, 11:27 PM
When I r-click as movie is playing and go to subs menu, the show sub is grayed out and the only thing selected on the menu is transparent. Is this the right setting?

DataMore
03-05-2003, 12:03 AM
If the option is grayed out, it means that the subs weren't loaded.
Are you sure the .sub file has EXACTLY the same filename as the .avi?
If it still doesn't work, try the other way that I described. The manual way.

lurker
03-05-2003, 04:54 AM
nada when I try manual way. I even dl'd vobsub to see if that would work but alas, no go
gonna redownload the sub file just in case it was corrupted, outside of that I'm at a loss

John_Smith
03-07-2003, 06:15 PM
while we're at the subject: I downloaded Avalon. It's in polnish, which is cool, since it's the original version but i can't understand it... There is also a subtitles file called Mamoru.Osh. Anyone knows with which player to view that?
thx

btw
AVALON (polnish version) kb 712848
(i love that movie...)

ShareDaddy
03-08-2003, 06:45 AM
If it is an srt file all you have to do is have them in the same folder (named exactly the same - best way to insure that is copy the name of the movie and paste it over the name of the srt file, even if it looks the same it may not be) and play the movie, it works everytime for me on my home pc with XP. I use Lunacy10 vid player.

However I do have issues doing it that way on a PC running 2000, if I place both files in the same folder and play the movie it playes upside down and backwards, imagine that...

Edit: By the way I learned how to do this with the srt files here on the forum, a search will sometimes bring about miraculous results.

n18
03-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by John_Smith@7 March 2003 - 19:15
while we're at the subject: I downloaded Avalon. It's in polnish, which is cool, since it's the original version but i can't understand it... There is also a subtitles file called Mamoru.Osh. Anyone knows with which player to view that?
thx

btw
AVALON (polnish version) kb 712848
(i love that movie...)
I'm Polish :lol: , but most poles i know use a tool called vplayer to view english movies wich adds .txt subtitles... vplayer might work for you, if u can get ahold of it on kazaa

John_Smith
03-10-2003, 02:57 PM
OK, I got it sorted out. I had to rename the Mamoru.osh to avalon.srt and view it with BSPlayer and it works....Perfect! :D
That .osh got me confused, cuz I couldn't find a player for it.

thx ShareDaddy (yep, I'm using XP), thx n18 (lucky you, not having that problem)

unltdncy
03-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Sorry, this is just a very old topic but i dont know where to ask my question so filesharing talk might be a good one.

I got the BSplayer, but i still cant load the .sub file. The opt still grayed out, says "no subtitles" even i set the name of the movie n the file name of the subtitles alike. When i right click on the film, the subtitle tab, i see the primary is grayed & the secondary is on, but i cant even edit the color & the fonts. What's wrong, so help me !!!

KFlint
03-23-2009, 03:49 PM
what a bump :O

I recommend KMPlayer as a media player, it's the best I've seen so far, you will be able to load those subtitles and even shift them easily in the time line if they are out of sync with the speech.

BSPlayer is a poor player imo, there isn't as many options