PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Silver 5

kaiweiler
02-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Hey everyone, just wondering if Arctic Silver 5 is the best thermal paste to use? I have an athlon 2500+ and it's overclocked a bit, more in the future of coarse, need some good thermal paste first though, mine isn't great quality.
So is Arctic Silver the one to go with, or is there anything better?
Arctic Silver has great reviews from what i've seen and seems to be quite popular
opinions?

Kai

bigdawgfoxx
02-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Yeah, Artic Silver is the best

kaiweiler
02-10-2004, 08:52 PM
aight, thanks bigdawg!
thats what i thought, just needed a confirmation

adamp2p
02-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Yes, I have had great experience with artic silver 5.

tesco
02-10-2004, 09:41 PM
i also love arctic silver, after putting it onto my chip the temps went way down from like 50c idle to like 35c idle.

abu_has_the_power
02-10-2004, 10:33 PM
as5 is the best. ceramique is good too, but it's not as good as as5. great for new builders as it's non conductive

_John_Lennon_
02-11-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 February 2004 - 16:41
i also love arctic silver, after putting it onto my chip the temps went way down from like 50c idle to like 35c idle.
Umm, it shouldnt lower your temps 15C, at best your looking at 3-4 C tops for using AS5.

clocker
02-11-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+10 February 2004 - 18:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 10 February 2004 - 18:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@10 February 2004 - 16:41
Umm, it shouldnt lower your temps 15C, at best your looking at 3-4 C tops for using AS5. [/b][/quote]
Indeed.
That does sound fishy.

Also, keep in mind that AS5 has a "normalization period" of 200 hours so any magical temp reduction probably won&#39;t show up for almost 2 weeks.

Beware of imitators, too.
Recent tests have shown that the "silver" paste sold by places like CompUSA and others contains NO silver at all.
Some distributors have withdrawn their stock ( not CompUSA, to my knowledge), but many places continue to sell it.
Caveat emptor.

SciManAl
02-11-2004, 02:20 AM
Caveat emptor.

yes i agree they need to go to hell

:D

Arctic silver is great stuff, while on this topic is there anything better/ else, i would follow arctic silver to hell and back, but i am definitly not about ready to be ignorant of all others...

tesco
02-11-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by clocker+10 February 2004 - 21:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 10 February 2004 - 21:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@10 February 2004 - 18:03
<!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@10 February 2004 - 16:41
Umm, it shouldnt lower your temps 15C, at best your looking at 3-4 C tops for using AS5.
Indeed.
That does sound fishy.

Also, keep in mind that AS5 has a "normalization period" of 200 hours so any magical temp reduction probably won&#39;t show up for almost 2 weeks.

Beware of imitators, too.
Recent tests have shown that the "silver" paste sold by places like CompUSA and others contains NO silver at all.
Some distributors have withdrawn their stock ( not CompUSA, to my knowledge), but many places continue to sell it.
Caveat emptor. [/b][/quote]
originally i had a different processor (same type though) but it was reporting the wrong cpu speed so i returned the motherboard and processor combo i had bought and they said they will just swap the processor with a better one and i agreed but i didnt know at the time what was happening but they just took off the heatsync, swapped cpus and put teh heat sink back on with the same thermal pad so i had very high temps. and that never even fixed my cpu speed problem either, i later found out a was runnign the wrong front side bus speed and was so happy i found that out and that it was so simple, but my temps rised by a lot so i got arctic silver 5 and fixed my temps.

clocker
02-11-2004, 02:54 AM
Rossco, the world&#39;s worst TIM would have helped in the scenario you describe.
AS5 surely didn&#39;t hurt, but it&#39;s hard to say that it alone cured your problem.

SciManAl
02-11-2004, 03:01 AM
Rossco, the world&#39;s worst TIM would have helped in the scenario you describe.
AS5 surely didn&#39;t hurt, but it&#39;s hard to say that it alone cured your problem.
sure lcoker haven&#39;t YOu cleaned something grously big with a toothbrush?? :lol:

atiVidia
02-11-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by clocker@10 February 2004 - 21:54
rofl no his situation probly came about using several kilos worth of white goo between his processor and the heatsinh

SciManAl
02-11-2004, 03:08 AM
rofl no his situation probly came about using several kilos worth of white goo between his processor and the heatsinh
LOL

btw what is the white goo technicly?? never used it... is it packaged sperm?? :lol: seriosly don&#39;t know
:P

clocker
02-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Well guys, Rossco&#39;s situation was not typical so we can discount that data.
Of course AS5 performed better than a reused stock thermal pad. <_<

The hard part about making comparisons between TIMs is duplicating the application/installation method precisely.
The most reliable information that I have seen suggests that AS5 will outperform AS3 by maybe 2-3 degC.
Although this is nothing to sneeze at, it&#39;s also not enough to make me throw away my tube of AS3 and scurry out to buy some 5.
If I was starting from scratch I&#39;m sure that I would use AS5 though.

tesco
02-11-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by clocker@10 February 2004 - 21:54
true i guess my case was unusual, i guess if i had a proper thermal pad and THEN i changed to as5 my temps would have only gone down a couple of degrees.

what does this mean?

Virtualbody1234
02-11-2004, 03:18 AM
I have tried some silicone compound thermal paste from a local elecronics wholesale warehouse type store.

10 grams -- &#036; 0.75
1 kilo -------&#036; 14.95

I bought the one for 75¢ :)

I tested it in comparison with Arctic silver III and found almost exactly the same results between the two of them. Both were better than the thermal pads they provide stock with the heatsinks.

clocker
02-11-2004, 03:46 AM
A kilo?
You could pass it on to your great grandchildren. ;)

I think the mystique surrounding certain products is pretty amusing.
Yes, AS5 is a quality product and yes, I would recommend it, but...we are only talking a couple of degrees here, it&#39;s hardly a system killer either way.
If it&#39;s readily available and you feel like dropping the gelt for it then by all means, have at it. If not, you can get almost as good results using the goop that will come with the HS.

SciManAl
02-11-2004, 04:06 AM
A kilo?
You could pass it on to your great grandchildren.&nbsp;

that is allot of anything&#33;&#33;&#33; drugs... Candy... Computer Parts...(jesus would love to buy by the pound...) tii hee :P

I think the mystique surrounding certain products is pretty amusing.
Yes, AS5 is a quality product and yes, I would recommend it, but...we are only talking a couple of degrees here, it&#39;s hardly a system killer either way.
If it&#39;s readily available and you feel like dropping the gelt for it then by all means, have at it. If not, you can get almost as good results using the goop that will come with the HS.

agreed... simply get the heat across... heatsink shout be getting that heast as directly as possible... other than that no problems...