PDA

View Full Version : I Think I Broke My Prefetch

DarthInsinuate
02-10-2004, 11:37 PM
under the advice of one of those tweaking websites i deleted the contents of my windows\prefetch directory, after a couple of days (and emptying the recycling bin (d'oh!)), i realised windows was booting a lot slower, i checked out the prefetch directory and it was empty

i have a feeling i was only supposed to delete the .pf files, can anyone tell me what the other file is and what its contents should be?

Xero Grid
02-10-2004, 11:46 PM
There's nothingb wrong with deleting the contents of the prefetch directory. Most people don't need it. It's an unneccesary service in most cases, but you may have turned it off be accident.

Check out Prefecth Clean and Control (http://www.jester2k.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/jester2ksoftware.htm)

Free, and it's really straight forward. Of course, no install, but see if it works. Try changing the settings for prefetch.

-- Xero Grid --

DarthInsinuate
02-11-2004, 12:42 AM
that little utility didn't help much, i've already tried changing the settings from the registry, its convienient though

peat moss
02-11-2004, 01:04 AM
Darth I clean mine once a week never had problems :D http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak525.aspx

Cleaned mine again to check nope MT sould be fine run a program like nero check again B)

DarthInsinuate
02-11-2004, 11:12 AM
yay! i stumbled on the solution - prefetcher needed the task scheduler service enable, which i disabled :frusty:

tesco
02-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@11 February 2004 - 06:12
yay! i stumbled on the solution - prefetcher needed the task scheduler service enable, which i disabled :frusty:
THANK YOU!!!! my computers been getting sluggish and after i read that i realized its probably that the prefetch has been turned off becuase i disabled task schedualr like 2 days ago! thank you! :D

100%
02-11-2004, 09:53 PM
I clean out my prefetch folder every now and then.
I have task schedular disabled
My pc start up etc has no issues
so i dont know what you guys are talking about - "solution" :blink:
it must be something else

There's nothingb wrong with deleting the contents of the prefetch directory.