PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any Books Similiar To Lotr

suleman1uk
02-11-2004, 07:17 PM
i am looking for books, where there are themes of fantasy in a mythical sense.
just like LOTR(Lord of the rings etc.)

thanks

CoolMac
02-13-2004, 02:09 AM
there are dozens

u better start with Dragonlance in my opinion ;)

MagicNakor
02-13-2004, 02:49 AM
That are epic in scope? A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin.

:ninja:

suleman1uk
02-14-2004, 04:32 PM
thanks for that

Randomblonde
02-15-2004, 11:30 AM
David Eddings-

Start with Pawn of Prophecy. Then theres nine of those that follow (worth it) and if your still enthused after that, there Polgara the Sorceress- and Belgarath the sorceror, and the Rivan Codex :) I'm assuming, by lord of the rings, you mean fantasy epics- the unwilling young thing who's forced by fate into a role he doesn't want to have, on a long and difficult journey with a sorceror with a long white beard in robes (I kid you not, theres serious similarities. In this lot though, its not a ring, its the Orb, a rock with magical powers)

have fun :)

Vamp
02-18-2004, 08:05 PM
The Talisman by Stephen King is one of the best cont. Fantasy's I've ever read.

Powdered Water
02-19-2004, 03:38 AM
I've read The Chronicles of Thomas Covennant the Unbeliever 2 trilogies in all twice now and I think they are fantastic. Stephen R. Donalson wrote them definitely worth a read. Also The Dragonriders Of Pern Trilogy by Anne McCaffrey was quite good. I agree that the Tailisman is good but I also think that his Gunslinger/ Dark Tower books are the best books Stephen King has written. You may also want to try Piers Anthony start with A Spell for Chameleon and go from there. :D

Skweeky
02-19-2004, 01:05 PM
The books from Feist are really good. I actually like them better than LOTR.
Ask Rat Faced for more info about them, he has them all :)

MagicNakor
02-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Does he have the new ones (King of Foxes, for example)? They aren't being sold where I'm at, currently. :(

Cognition
02-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Given the nature of your request, you really cannot go past Silmarillion. Whihc is actually a book by Tolkien detailing the mythology of the LoTR world, that is it's history, religion, source of magic etc

Personally I find Silmarillion better than LoTR.

Skweeky
02-21-2004, 11:53 AM
How about you PM him and find out MN? :lol:

MagicNakor
02-21-2004, 12:04 PM
It'd be more work. ;)

Rat Faced
02-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Last i got was "Tallon of the Silver Hawk".

Book one in the "Conclave of the Shadows" series

(That's the Secret Society to fight the nameless one set up by Pug in "Shards of a Broken Crown")

There are more, but im waiting for them to come out in paperback, coz im skint

:(

Anyone wishing to get into Feist:

The 1st Book of all the differing Series (which all fit together...) is: "Magician"

In my opinion, a hell of a lot better than Tolkien....

suleman1uk
02-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Silmarillion, never thought about that, what other works are there of Tolkien's

MagicNakor
02-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Talon of the Silver Hawk any good?

Tolkien's other popular work is The Hobbit.

Cognition
02-22-2004, 06:50 AM
By memory: Book of Lost tales and/or Forgotten stories 1 & 2.

Adventures of Tom Badabil (sp), Probably something else.

Silmarillion also details elements of Elven language, which is useful for naming characters in your role playing games. For example in morrowind I have a female redguard named Maegwen - meaning "Sharp Maid" i.e. Battle Maid. Her class being Faerun (Wandering Spirit).

pirpu
03-19-2004, 05:40 AM
Book of Lost Tales by Christopher Tolkien (JRR's grandson)
Adventures of Tom Bombadil
I'd recommend the Silmarillion and The Hobbit (its strictly a children's book, not an epic)

100%
03-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Terry Pratchett - Disc World Series (alot more humor though)

alpha
04-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Tolkien's 'Farmer Giles of Ham'. Its by no means epic but still damn good.
The Dark Tower series.

Snee
04-14-2004, 04:24 PM
These were great:

http://www.malazanempire.com/

The best I've read in that direction in a long time.

Otherwise there's always Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time"/"Dragon Reborn"-series.

I guess you could have a go at Lloyd Alexander's "Westmark" or Ursula K. LeGuin's fantasy novels as well.

uNz[i]
04-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Hugh Cook's Chronicles of an Age of Darkness - A Saga lasting 10 books.
The author has made some available online for free here (http://zenvirus.com/hugh-cook/free-online-novels.html).

lil kim luver
07-22-2005, 02:35 PM
I would definatly recommend the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. there are 11 I think with 2 more coming out. Plenty of action and mature stuff..plus when your finished try playing the game

qkiani
07-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Hi all
Mate you should read northern lights my lil cousin raed it she says it iz like lord of da rings...

qkiani

phate00
07-31-2005, 03:47 PM
Otherwise there's always Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time"/"Dragon Reborn"-series.

I agree with you

The Wheel of Time™ Series

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose.... The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of time.
But it was a beginning."

With this phrase, millions of readers have entered a world strikingly real, rich in detail and complexity—the world of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time. A world of kings, queens, and Aes Sedai—women who can tap the True Source and wield the One Power, which turns the Wheel and drives the universe: a world where the war between Light and Shadow is fought every day.

At the moment of Creation, the Creator bound the Dark One away from the world of humankind, but more than three thousand years ago, Aes Sedai, then both men and women, unknowingly bored into that prison outside of time. The Dark One was able to touch the world only lightly before the hole was soon sealed over. But the Dark One's taint settled on saidin, the male half of the Power, and every male Aes Sedai went mad. In the Breaking of the World they destroyed civilization and changed the very face of the earth, sinking mountains beneath the sea and bringing new seas where land had been.

Now only women bear the title Aes Sedai. Commanded by their Amyrlin Seat and divided into seven Ajahs named by color, they rule the great island city of Tar Valon, where their White Tower stands, and are bound by the Three Oaths, fixed into their bones with saidar, the female half of the Power: To speak no word that is not true, to make no weapon for one man to kill another, and never to use the One Power against another except as a weapon against Shadowspawn or, in the last extreme, of defending her own life or that of her Warder or another sister.

Men still are born who can learn to channel the Power, or worse, who will channel one day whether they try to or not. Doomed to madness, destruction, and death by the taint of the saidin, they are hunted down by the Aes Sedai and gentled, cut off forever from the Power for the safety of the world. No man goes to this willingly. Even if they survive the hunt, they seldom survive long after gentling.

For more than three thousand years, while empires rose and fell, nothing has been so feared as a man who can channel. But for all those three thousand years there have been the Prophecies of the Dragon, that the seal of the Dark One's prison will weaken and he will touch the world once more, and the Dragon, who sealed up that hole, will be Reborn to face the Dark One again. A child, born in sight of Tar Valon on the slopes of Dragonmount, will grow up to be the Dragon Reborn, the only hope of humanity in the Last Battle.

A world of kings and queens, nations and wars, where the White Tower rules only Tar Valon but even kings and queens are wary of Aes Sedai machinations. A world where the Shadow and the Prophecies loom together.

This is the world Robert Jordan invites all to enter. This is the world of The Wheel of Time.

Lasher
08-08-2005, 05:12 PM
I'd recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series, extremely fascinating series.

MagicNakor
08-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I'd certainly not recommend Wheel of Time. ;)

If you absolutely must read it, do quit before hitting the fifth or six book.

:shuriken:

maebach
08-09-2005, 03:44 PM
The redwall series was ok. I use to love those books.

jockey111
08-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Given the nature of your request, you really cannot go past Silmarillion. Whihc is actually a book by Tolkien detailing the mythology of the LoTR world, that is it's history, religion, source of magic etc

Personally I find Silmarillion better than LoTR.

Can you forward me the ebook of The Silmarillion?
Thanks in advance.
Regds,
DD.

SirGray
08-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Raymond E. feist's riftwar saga is kinda like it but a shit load better :D The first book is magicians: Apprentice

Threepwood83
08-12-2006, 04:42 PM
I guess you could try Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. But be warned that you might find it all to similar to Lotr and end up feeling like you are reading some kind of inferior rip-off :dry:

Biggles
08-12-2006, 09:21 PM
George MacDonald is an interesting read with books like "Lilith" and "At the back of the North Wind" A Victorian writer who explored fantasy, I recall one of his books is called "Phantasies", he inspired Tolkein, Carroll and CS Lewis.