PDA

View Full Version : The *legal* List

Wolfmight
03-05-2003, 04:25 AM
ok here's ma *should be* legal list of items that should'nt get someone in trouble heh

1. Old/non theater Movies (come on! You can record them off your tv, why cant u download them??) heh, even those screens dont stay illigal very long.

2. personal band mp3s(you made)

3.sounds (effetcs..heh)

4.most images (most of them are legal, except some..but they're all files with little colored dots..ehh lol)

5.old games (dos, gb, nes, snes, sega) hell, the companys dont make crap for money..why be illigal?? ps1 startin to lose sales cause of age to..same with n64

6.some o/s' like Linux,BeOs, FreeBSD.. They're big and very legal

7.icons, themes, mods, addons, mostly 99% legal unless it's some huge upgrade (ie. win98 to xp, heh no a theme upgrade at all there)

8.about 50% of the mp3s.. (what i mean is.. alot of bands put free *full* samples of some of they're songs on they're website.. plus amazon and stuff has part sample of like most of the songs on a cd etc... So technically about 50% of the mp3s we download is legal if you think about it..

9. Music Videos (they're free on MTV/CMT/BET/etc they free online too!!)

and that's about it for my ideas... you got n e?

Man, we all dont even got Shared Folders full of 100% illigal stuff I betcha

MagicNakor
03-05-2003, 05:26 AM
Things you wrote yourself, stories, poems, essays, thesis. ;)

Ron
03-05-2003, 06:05 AM
Legally, the old movies are still copyright material.
Same with MP3's and old games.
Pictures copyright are usually held by the photographer.
Music videos are owned by the band.
You're not allowed to tape them on video actually. It's just that the authorities don't bother with that. Which isn't the same as being legal.
All you are allowed to have is copies of copyright material you bought.
If you don't have the original, you're punishable by law.

RPerry
03-05-2003, 07:42 AM
everything I share is a copy of an original which I own.
Now................ where did I put the originals?? :P

J'Pol
03-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by RPerry@5 March 2003 - 08:42
A good point actually. When you buy intelectual property you are buying the right to own and use it. Surely the fact that you no longer possesss the original media is irrelevant. You still own the rights to it.

However I don't think it is actually "legal" (any more than it is "illegal") to make copies. I think it is just taken as being an acceptable practice to make a back up, in case you lose or damage the original. You still own the rights and can use your back up. Back to your original point.

Re the initial post and many others. Remember something can be considered illegal without actually being a crime. There is criminal law and there is civil law. Something can be illegal, without there being any chance of you being prosecuted. You can however be sued by the owner. How often does this happen. Does anyone know anyone it has happened to. I would be very interested to know.

As ever, depends where you live. I think you are more likely to be sued in the USA than anywhere else in the world. Your legal system just likes civil litigation. It's a money thing, as opposed to a justice thing.

DarthInsinuate
03-05-2003, 09:48 AM
i was told by my TV that d/l anything is legal, but having kazaa isn't

al_birkett
03-05-2003, 09:57 AM
sorry to be awkward but old films etc will still be copyrighted no matter how old they are, same with the games that will be illegal anyway because they will need to be roms that play on emulator , roms are illegal unless you 'have the original game'
:rolleyes:

MagicNakor
03-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Not all old films are still under copyright. Just most. The first motion picture was created in 1891, although the film was created in 1889.

Some games are no longer under copyright for whatever reason. Sometimes the company decides to release it as freeware (Betrayal at Krondor comes to mind), or just abandons the copyright, thus creating "abandonware."

J'Pol
03-05-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@5 March 2003 - 10:48
You have your own transvestite ? And they are a download expert. Thatīs really cool

SolidWing68
03-05-2003, 12:53 PM
All the stuff in everyones shared folder is illegal, come on..what else would there be to search for if it wasn't illegal?

NĢMO
03-05-2003, 01:13 PM
JmiF Posted on 5 March 2003 - 11:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (DarthInsinuate @ 5 March 2003 - 10:48)

You have your own transvestite ? And they are a download expert. Thatīs really cool 

:lol: :lol:

You can download some roms legally...like the Spectrum ones,its legal to download them as i have loads :)

Ron
03-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by JmiF+5 March 2003 - 09:46--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 5 March 2003 - 09:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RPerry@5 March 2003 - 08:42
A good point actually. When you buy intelectual property you are buying the right to own and use it. Surely the fact that you no longer possesss the original media is irrelevant. You still own the rights to it. [/b][/quote]
That&#39;s true, but you&#39;re still not allowed to distribute it, and that&#39;s what we&#39;re doing.
Also, how do you prove you had the original, if you don&#39;t have it anymore? :blink:

ugluk
03-05-2003, 05:26 PM
for books and music, the copyright ends 75 years after the authors death. not sure for movies. anyway, it&#39;s a long wait.. :P

Ron
03-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Well, I don&#39;t d/l too many books, and as far as the music goes, don&#39;t the performers have the rights to the music they play?
I mean Beethoven might have lost his copyright, but the performers still get money if their version gets aired, no? :blink:

ugluk
03-05-2003, 05:36 PM
I mean Beethoven might have lost his copyright, but the performers still get money if their version gets aired, no?

sure they do, but they don&#39;t have to give half the earnings back to Beethoven&#33; ;)

RPerry
03-05-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Ron+5 March 2003 - 12:21--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ron @ 5 March 2003 - 12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -JmiF@5 March 2003 - 09:46
<!--QuoteBegin--RPerry@5 March 2003 - 08:42
A good point actually. When you buy intelectual property you are buying the right to own and use it. Surely the fact that you no longer possesss the original media is irrelevant. You still own the rights to it.
That&#39;s true, but you&#39;re still not allowed to distribute it, and that&#39;s what we&#39;re doing.
Also, how do you prove you had the original, if you don&#39;t have it anymore? :blink: [/b][/quote]
That was my point, nobody can prove I didn&#39;t have the originals either. And I&#39;m not distributing anything, I&#39;m just "networked" with others who like to back up things they may have the original to, but it was somehow damaged or misplaced ;)

pyromonkey
03-05-2003, 06:07 PM
as i like to say, "You Can&#39;t Spell Illegal, Without Legal&#33;"

Ron
03-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Well, I&#39;m afraid it&#39;s not that simple.
At least, not in Belgium.
The burdon of proof will be placed on the accused here.
He/she will have to show proof he/she had the orginal.
If not, conviction. :(
I have a juke-box in the bar, and every once in a while I get an inspection.
Now, most CD&#39;s in the JB are copies, but they always want to see each and every original, I assure you.
Of course, private persons will never be inspected this way I think, and if so, you could always get a copy of the CD in question from a friend. :)

Wolfmight
03-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Did you know that everything you watch on your TV is downloaded? If you have cable/sattilite the programming you watch is downloaded the same way you download stuff right off the internet.. Even with Tivo you save what you want to watch and that&#39;s the very same as downloading a movie off kazaa to watch.. With Tivo, you download and save the movie..(yes, you can even burn it to a vcd or dvd&#33;) With kazaa, you can also download and save the movie. What&#39;s the diff? Tivo uses Hardrives (the same as the ones we use now).

I mean, why do they even have such laws&#33;? heck, if you think about it...how many people are doing illigal things right now? 90%? 98%? <_<

:P It&#39;s silly

btw, the broadcasting speed is supposed to be like 1.5gb/s I heard.. sweetness :ph34r:

PcH
03-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Who cares what&#39;s &#39;legal&#39; to download. I do what I want [Cartman from South Park :lol:]&#33;

Wolfmight
03-06-2003, 01:30 AM
lol

fumeck
03-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Ron+5 March 2003 - 18:21--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ron @ 5 March 2003 - 18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -JmiF@5 March 2003 - 09:46
<!--QuoteBegin--RPerry@5 March 2003 - 08:42
Also, how do you prove you had the original, if you don&#39;t have it anymore? :blink: [/b][/quote]
Technically, we are not distributing anything. Others access our directories and take what they wish. I am not sending anything to anyone, they are taking it themselves. We take, that&#39;s all.

Hdestm8r
03-06-2003, 12:59 PM
You can "Legally" make a copy of any music and video file you OWN. That right was established by the United States Supreme Court and is called "Fair Use" and by extension of that right software is included within that right. The "Fair Use" right was established in the Sony "Betamax" copying case. That is the right that the MPAA and RIAA are trying to take away from us by encoding CD&#39;s and DVD&#39;s so copies cannot be made. You can legally use these copies for any personal purpose up to and including putting say MP3&#39;s on your computer.

al_birkett
03-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Try not to think of it as legal and illegal..... jus think of it as
&#39;spreading the wealth&#39; :D

Lamsey
03-06-2003, 04:25 PM
i was told by my TV that d/l anything is legal, but having kazaa isn&#39;t
Having KaZaA is legal, but using it to download copyrighted material isn&#39;t.

LSA
03-07-2003, 01:08 AM
I like prank calls, I think that they are legal....

Wolfmight
03-10-2003, 12:59 AM
aha