PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rights Management ?

b4icu
02-13-2004, 03:36 AM
Never seen or heard of this before, but from my initial web research, it appears to have been in the news for 5-6 years. I have this .wmv video file that will not open in winamp, and when I try it with MS media player, i get a SECURITY UPGRADE REQUIRED prompt. This states that i need to "upgrade" microsoft Digital Rights Management (DRM) components on my computer. Am I being paranoid, or does this sound like a blatant way of corporations to use spyware? i dont really want to send microsuck any information. anyone have a clue how to bypass this drm protection shite and watch the video?

internet.news
02-13-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by b4icu@13 February 2004 - 04:36
Never seen or heard of this before, but from my initial web research, it appears to have been in the news for 5-6 years. I have this .wmv video file that will not open in winamp, and when I try it with MS media player, i get a SECURITY UPGRADE REQUIRED prompt. This states that i need to "upgrade" microsoft Digital Rights Management (DRM) components on my computer. Am I being paranoid, or does this sound like a blatant way of corporations to use spyware? i dont really want to send microsuck any information. anyone have a clue how to bypass this drm protection shite and watch the video?
I experience this issue with a WMA File as it needed a valid license.

If you want to avoid this problem, only download *.MPG Files - they
are bigger sometimes, but for me they always worked without a problem.
It is a common format.

As I know some WMA or WMV Files (is the same I think, as from Microsoft),
may need licesnes.

Edited: Is it a music video, you downloaded? If the video is known good
among ppl you might easily find an MPG File on K-Lite or on another p2p ;)
If it is a harder to find video, it is difficult...

b4icu
02-13-2004, 09:36 PM
it is a rare windows media video file of stacy marie fuson (prrr). its name is preceded by avid. maybe ill just have to trash the files, as i wish to not risk opening my "unique computer identifier" to the microsoft demon. thanks though.