PDA

View Full Version : Can You Run Both E-donkey & E-mule ...

kazaadude
02-13-2004, 04:07 AM
I tried "E-donkey E-mule together" in the search, but I couldn't find anything, or rather, too many unrelated topics popped up, so ...

Can you run both E-donkey and E-mule at the same time, having the same INCOMING folder, but with different TEMP folders, ex. /mule/temp & /donkey/temp, so as not to mix up the new/old download formats? also, could they use the same TCP/UDP ports, or should they be assigned different ports?

The donkey/overnet seems much faster on a single file basis when it gets to partner and use the hoard, but though the mule seems generally slower, it seems to be able to download a bunch of files slowly but evenly. Also, it seems that the mule has more sources for some files (maybe because more use it and the old style downloading).

Anyone ever tried this? What do you guys think? Thanks. :)

kazaadude
02-13-2004, 04:16 AM
Also, should you connect to different servers, just in case, to avoid getting banned, etc? Thanks again.

MUSLEMAN
02-13-2004, 04:25 AM
i'm not sure if you can, and if so why would you want to?? i have emule, edonkey and overnet, and overnet finds more sources 99% of the time.

kazaadude
02-13-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@13 February 2004 - 04:25
i'm not sure if you can, and if so why would you want to?? i have emule, edonkey and overnet, and overnet finds more sources 99% of the time.
Thanks for the reply. :)

I have a very, very slow cable connection, so I don't think I get that penalized by e-mule's small kb transfers, specially during regular hours, where the net seems to crawl. During this time, I don't get to maximize the potentially greater kb transfers of e-donkey/overnet, so I was thinking, for the stuff that's slow on overnet/e-donkey, why not try the e-mule. Maybe it'll be like the turtle and the rabbit, who knows? :)

Anyway, I'll check this later, as I gotta go. Thanks.

MUSLEMAN
02-13-2004, 06:07 AM
man stop waisting your time with emule and just use overnet, you are not gonna get faster than overnet

kazaadude
02-14-2004, 03:31 AM
You're probably right. I just have a really slow cable connection. :P

kazaadude
02-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Well, I tried it anyway. I had to use different ports for both, or E-mule would get an error. I also removed the duplicate servers in the E-mule list to make sure I don't connect to the same server with 2 different clients. The result, it worked, but .....

As is the usual case with E-mule, it started immediately taking a lot of the upload bandwidth, easily 4x or 5x more than what the E-donkey upload was using; I hadn't even started searching for files yet. I think this caused the E-donkey upload to go way down. I then got a warning from the server E-donkey was connected to about lowid and how the server won't tolerate this, or something like that.

Not wanting to get blacklisted, I killed both programs, and restarted E-donkey. All back to normal. wheew! :lol:

sarefin
02-14-2004, 02:53 PM
It is impossible to use Emule / Edonkey same time. You have to switch them. They use same port to communicate. And file structure is some different between them.

I am Emule user before, but only use eD/ON for DL now. There are too many Emule mods, some so selfish, some so Evil, and they kill each other.

What kind Emule mod do you use??

kazaadude
02-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by sarefin@14 February 2004 - 14:53
It is impossible to use Emule / Edonkey same time. You have to switch them. They use same port to communicate. And file structure is some different between them.

I am Emule user before, but only use eD/ON for DL now. There are too many Emule mods, some so selfish, some so Evil, and they kill each other.

What kind Emule mod do you use??
Hi. :)

I used to use the regular e-mule program, the one on their main site. Then I tried overnet, which seemed so much faster, then I tried the edonkey2000, which gave me more sources for files than overnet, since it connects to both overnet and an edonkey server.

I used to rely solely on kazaa lite, but since late last year, I couldn't stay connected to any supernode; I think it might be my internet provider, or maybe there aren't that many supernodes near here. It became practically unusable.

Though the edonkey/emule technology is significantly slower than kazaa, they have much more selection, specially with rare files, which is great. :)

MUSLEMAN
02-19-2004, 09:21 PM
eDonkey2000 publishes to servers that can be set up by anyone. Once the network reaches a certain size these servers become a bottle neck to the performance. Users can no longer search the entire network for things they are interested in. And the servers become more and more bogged down.

Overnet searches and publishes in a completely decentralized way. It works such that when you search you are searching all users of the network. Overnet can scale to millions of concurrent users with no loss of performance. It fixes the problems with the eDonkey2000 network. more info

Samurai
02-19-2004, 09:36 PM
I posted a screenshot a while ago regarding my speeds on eMule, and they were maxed out. In fact, I always max out my connection when using eMule, so why people are saying it's shit, when they probably haven't set it up properly is not an excuse.

I'll post a screenshot as soon as I get a chance.

MUSLEMAN
02-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Samurai@19 February 2004 - 17:36
I posted a screenshot a while ago regarding my speeds on eMule, and they were maxed out. In fact, I always max out my connection when using eMule, so why people are saying it's shit, when they probably haven't set it up properly is not an excuse.

I'll post a screenshot as soon as I get a chance.
because emule finds less sources is slowe and sucks :lol:

kazaadude
02-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+19 February 2004 - 22:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 19 February 2004 - 22:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Samurai@19 February 2004 - 17:36
I posted a screenshot a while ago regarding my speeds on eMule, and they were maxed out. In fact, I always max out my connection when using eMule, so why people are saying it&#39;s shit, when they probably haven&#39;t set it up properly is not an excuse.

I&#39;ll post a screenshot as soon as I get a chance.
because emule finds less sources is slowe and sucks :lol: [/b][/quote]
Lol, I remember a post somewhere in this forum, where someone kept explaining the strenghts of e-mule/e-donkey and the response one guy kept giving was ...

It sucks balls. Was that you? Lol&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol:

kazaadude
02-20-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Samurai@19 February 2004 - 21:36
I posted a screenshot a while ago regarding my speeds on eMule, and they were maxed out. In fact, I always max out my connection when using eMule, so why people are saying it&#39;s shit, when they probably haven&#39;t set it up properly is not an excuse.

I&#39;ll post a screenshot as soon as I get a chance.
Emule is cool, but I think that on a per-file basis, the current Edonkey/Overnet can finish a download faster. I think with Emule, you need to keep a lot of downloads active, and they&#39;ll all get done more evenly.

If by setting up Emule properly, you mean the port forwarding to prevent lowid, I&#39;ve done that and had that "ok" globe symbol on the right. One thing I notice more often in Emule, though, is that the upload rates are almost alway greater than the download rates, and often by a huge margin.

With E-donkey/Overnet, the downloads are usually greater than the uploads.

MUSLEMAN
02-20-2004, 01:29 AM
too much bs with emule, servers, id, points, bs,etc. why bother?? :lol:

Samurai
02-20-2004, 02:33 AM
Looks like you have to purchase Overnet. What kind of p2p client does that? Ooh no ads, tech support, multilanguage...

I get all that with eMule.

Tech support is this forum lol.

MUSLEMAN
02-20-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Samurai@19 February 2004 - 22:33
Looks like you have to purchase Overnet. What kind of p2p client does that? Ooh no ads, tech support, multilanguage...

I get all that with eMule.

Tech support is this forum lol.
lol do your home work and look around there is a loader for it if you like, the is the lite version if you like. there is not cost for a full version, and there is free tech support.

if you have never used it please keep you comments to your self.

learn the topic then discuss it :lol:

Samurai
02-20-2004, 05:51 AM
Actually if you re-read my post, I only stated what was on the Overnet site, with regards for paying for it. What version is the lite anyhow? 0.52?

I&#39;m getting my info from here (http://www.overnet.com/downloads.php).

Why should anyone pay for a p2p client just to have no banners, ads and free tech support? Remember how all these sites popped up selling Kazaa? It&#39;s exactly the same thing.

MUSLEMAN
02-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Samurai@20 February 2004 - 01:51
Actually if you re-read my post, I only stated what was on the Overnet site, with regards for paying for it. What version is the lite anyhow? 0.52?

Why should anyone pay for a p2p client just to have no banners, ads and free tech support? Remember how all these sites popped up selling Kazaa? It&#39;s exactly the same thing.
first of all that is the original site for overnet, second who said anything about paying???

i mean you are in a p2p forum talking about paying, who aside from you said anything about paying??

as i said, do your homework then talk, a very easy and quick search of this forum, if your highness does not mind, would reveal how you can get the full version for free with no adware.

and last its not the same thing, for the last time if you don&#39;t know what you are taking about don&#39;t comment, sit back and relax and learn then once you have a good idea please feel free to give us your input

Samurai
02-20-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+20 February 2004 - 05:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 20 February 2004 - 05:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Samurai@20 February 2004 - 01:51

first of all that is the original site for overnet, second who said anything about paying???

i mean you are in a p2p forum talking about paying, who aside from you said anything about paying??

as i said, do your homework then talk, a very easy and quick search of this forum, if your highness does not mind, would reveal how you can get the full version for free with no adware.

and last its not the same thing, for the last time if you don&#39;t know what you are taking about don&#39;t comment, sit back and relax and learn then once you have a good idea please feel free to give us your input [/b][/quote]
Well if you even bothered to visit the link you would have noticed this...

Purchase Overnet now and you&#39;ll receive:

The best file sharing program available
Ad-Free - No Banners- NO SPYWARE
No Bundled Software
Available in multiple languages
Support via email
All these great features
Please read our Refund Policy

&#036;19.95 Overnet download pay with credit card
&#036;19.95 Overnet download pay with check
&#036;19.95 Overnet download pay with PayPal

That is why I mentioned paying.

Aside from trying to put me down, instead of actually giving advice you&#39;re trying to be a smart ass. Did I try and look like I was high and mighty? No. So don&#39;t try it with the &#39;your highness&#39; bullshit.

I&#39;m the first one to say I know nothing of using Overnet. However, it&#39;s slightly irritating when people say that eMule is shit and the speeds are crap when all I&#39;ve ever had from eMule are fantastic speeds.

As for your last comment I&#39;m not even going to retaliate on that one. I think you have some issues regarding talking to people.

One of the main reasons I enjoy this forum is because it gives me a chance to help people who are less knowledgeable or are in need of an opinion. If this is the sort of way you help people then quite frankly "If you&#39;ve got nothing good to say, don&#39;t say anything at all". It&#39;s a cliché but it works. You&#39;re not smart. You&#39;re not clever. Comments like those above only seem to make me think of you as a 12 year old schoolboy, of which I&#39;m sure you are not.

Less of the attitude.

Samurai

MUSLEMAN
02-20-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Samurai+20 February 2004 - 02:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Samurai @ 20 February 2004 - 02:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@20 February 2004 - 05:03
<!--QuoteBegin-Samurai@20 February 2004 - 01:51

and last its not the same thing, for the last time if you don&#39;t know what you are taking about don&#39;t comment, sit back and relax and learn then once you have a good idea please feel free to give us your input
Well if you even bothered to visit the link you would have noticed this...

Purchase Overnet now and you&#39;ll receive:

The best file sharing program available
Ad-Free - No Banners- NO SPYWARE
No Bundled Software
Available in multiple languages
Support via email
All these great features
Please read our Refund Policy

&#036;19.95 Overnet download pay with credit card
&#036;19.95 Overnet download pay with check
&#036;19.95 Overnet download pay with PayPal

That is why I mentioned paying.

Aside from trying to put me down, instead of actually giving advice you&#39;re trying to be a smart ass. Did I try and look like I was high and mighty? No. So don&#39;t try it with the &#39;your highness&#39; bullshit.

I&#39;m the first one to say I know nothing of using Overnet. However, it&#39;s slightly irritating when people say that eMule is shit and the speeds are crap when all I&#39;ve ever had from eMule are fantastic speeds.

As for your last comment I&#39;m not even going to retaliate on that one. I think you have some issues regarding talking to people.

One of the main reasons I enjoy this forum is because it gives me a chance to help people who are less knowledgeable or are in need of an opinion. If this is the sort of way you help people then quite frankly "If you&#39;ve got nothing good to say, don&#39;t say anything at all". It&#39;s a cliché but it works. You&#39;re not smart. You&#39;re not clever. Comments like those above only seem to make me think of you as a 12 year old schoolboy, of which I&#39;m sure you are not.

Less of the attitude.

Samurai [/b][/quote]
what is wrong with you man?????? :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: instead of this big pointless post why don&#39;t you search this forum and understand what is being said to you boss????? :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

kazaadude
02-23-2004, 06:03 AM
Hi Samurai,

Musleman just likes to get straight to the point when he gives advice. He takes the time to answer posts and help people out. He gives a straight answer, and sometimes, it won&#39;t sound too good if you don&#39;t like what you hear (ex. e-mule&#39;s weaknesses with servers, slower, etc.). He&#39;ll tell you or anyone what in his opinion is the best way, and it&#39;s really up to you to take his advice or not.

By reading your posts, it seems that you really enjoy e-mule, and though you ask questions, it doesn&#39;t seem like you&#39;re ready to give overnet a real chance yet. That&#39;s okay, emule is a good program. :)

If you do decide, you can look through these posts and find out that you can get it for free/pay, with or without adware, how to maximize it, and what makes it such a good p2p program.

Peace. :)

MUSLEMAN
02-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by kazaadude@23 February 2004 - 02:03
you can look through these posts and find out that you can get it for free/pay, with or without adware, how to maximize it, and what makes it such a good p2p program.

Peace. :)
lol thats all i&#39;m trying to tell him and he keeps saying that you have to pay for it :frusty: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sarefin
02-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Muscleman&#33;&#33; Don&#39;t care of someone&#39;s word.

Because there are some modders of emule in this forum, they try to advertise Emule and their mod. They do some way on Official Overnet Forum, too.

And I find a temp Optimal method of overnet.
[1] Install TMJ&#39;s Overnet lite (This package don&#39;t contain any spyware) :)
[2] Connecting Network to active overnet function and setup every parameter U need, then shutdown it.
[3] Add two lines to Host file
127.0.0.1 reg.edonkey2000.com
127.0.0.1 reg.overnet.com
[4] Block IP = 64.62.133.2 to out of the metamachine&#39;s control. (do this By your firewall)
[5] Del pro.dll file and put the loader (You post) into Overnet lite folder. and Start the Loader to load overnet.exe.

Of course, The best way is to create Overnet Pro lite as KLite+ before.
Not Emule&#33;&#33; :D

This is why I post some Emule mods&#39; src before.

MUSLEMAN
02-23-2004, 09:54 PM
lol thats a nice way too :lol: