PDA

View Full Version : Windows Nt & 2000

dwightfry
02-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Source (http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=17509&category=main)

What are the odds that enhanced versions of these OS's will be made? Or will this basically render the OS's useless because of high security risks from hackers.

Xero Grid
02-13-2004, 05:52 PM
It can go either way, but there wasn't enough code released to make a totally enhanced OS. Just some modifications would be more likely, and that would remain in secret for the most part, I think. I think it would be more likely to bridge gaps than make a totally new OS, like between Linux and Windows. As for saftey assesment, I think some new viruses are coming out, but it doesn't mean they can't be taken care of. The full source code wasn't released... that is OVER 40 GIGS, but it was only about 200 mb.

Hackers are not demons. :lol:
They aren't going to destroy Windows for good. If anything hackers give the people a chance. Well, the malicious in nature can always do something worse, but in every case, there have always been warnings and viruses not doing as much damage as they could have. People are just ignorant on how to get rid of them, so they waste their chances. :lol:

-- Xero Grid --

lightshow
02-13-2004, 06:35 PM
One thing Microsoft is definatly going to do is use this as an excuse for getting their cutsomers to upgrade to Longhorn.

This really makes you think about what all the reasons/possibilites for this happening are. Think politically and economically. Microsoft's servers are in place everywhere. From your local school to high-tech military institutions.

Most think of the leak as a problem for personal use, but no, it can be much wider than that. You don't want US (or any other country for that matter) servers hacked/cracked (through new holes found through the source) and have national security level information leaked...

This could be very very bad. Think about how many blueprints to certain technologies are kept on those servers.

One one extreme point, which probably won't happen, war could happen. A foreign country could find what they think is a weakness in the US security system, or get blueprints to teach them new technologies, then soon use it against us.

Just my 2 cents..

Xero Grid
02-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Yeah, that may be a liiiiiittle extreme. :lol:
Don't everybody get paranoid now.
It would be really funny if M$ did it on purpose. Hey, it's that last thing anyone would expect. :lol: :lol:

-- Xero Grid --

h1
02-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Xero Grid@13 February 2004 - 13:47
It would be really funny if M$ did it on purpose. Hey, it's that last thing anyone would expect. :lol: :lol:
I've been saying this all along... :lol:

Xero Grid
02-13-2004, 10:43 PM
What a coincidence! :lol:

-- Xero Grid --

peat moss
02-14-2004, 03:40 AM
Ya inside job :lol: What I expect is a lot more critical updates A LOT MORE

Robert00000
02-14-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by haxor41789+13 February 2004 - 21:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (haxor41789 @ 13 February 2004 - 21:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Xero Grid@13 February 2004 - 13:47
It would be really funny if M&#036; did it on purpose. Hey, it&#39;s that last thing anyone would expect.&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:
I&#39;ve been saying this all along... :lol: [/b][/quote]
Thats what i was saying in the other topic. Is it just a coincidence that the news 98/me hack was released a while back when microsoft had a new product (xp) to sell.

supersonic
02-14-2004, 04:26 AM
Paraphrased: Is it just a coincidence that the news xp/server 2003 hack was released a while back when microsoft had a new product (Longhorn) to sell.

Spindulik
02-14-2004, 04:57 AM
I typed in the words "Source code", into the K-Lite search box and saw over 200 listings that can be downloaded at 706kb/s and higher.

What a scam. Longhorn is now going to be "the item" to buy.

Microsoft lowered their prices to compete with LINUX. Of course, they lowered the prices to huge corporations.

h1
02-14-2004, 05:21 AM
Who would have expected any different though? ;)

winXPHE
02-14-2004, 12:10 PM
more ppl will upgrade to xp n probably upgrade their putters 2 tats good coz more stuff 4 XP

atiVidia
02-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by winXPHE@14 February 2004 - 07:10
more ppl will upgrade to xp n probably upgrade their putters 2 tats good coz more stuff 4 XP
english, pleez

Spindulik
02-15-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by atiVidia+14 February 2004 - 10:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (atiVidia &#064; 14 February 2004 - 10:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-winXPHE@14 February 2004 - 07:10
english, pleez[/b][/quote]
TRANSLATION:

"More people will upgrade to Windows XP, and probably upgrade their computers too. Thats, good, because more stuff for XP."

Better Translation:

"More people will probably upgrade their computer operating system, from NT or 2000, to Windows XP. If that&#39;s the case, then it is very likely that there will be more software available to the XP users."

Even more detailed translation"

"Since Microsoft 2000 and NT are now deemed to be insecure. Many people will buy XP as a replacement operating system, in hopes of better security. Since this is expected to create a large number in sales of XP, third party software vendors will create new software packages aimed at the newly founded XP users."