PDA

View Full Version : Los Alamos + Space Elevator

Canti
02-13-2004, 08:54 PM
So they're finally doin it!
Building a Space Elevator.....
Hot damn! I hope it's finished before I die!

STORY (http://www.spacedaily.com/news/materials-03za.html)

MagicNakor
02-13-2004, 09:18 PM
"The promise of inexpensive access to space is so important to the human race..."

And here I was thinking the promise of alleviating famine, disease, and poverty were so important to the human race.

Well, I certainly don't want to be in that thing when it either 1) collapses from its own weight, 2) topples over from some sort of natural disaster, or 3) is destroyed through manmade means.

:ninja:

02-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Where did it say anything about a space elevator in that article.

The Idea is entirely feasable. And would be such a better investment than a moon base.

I'm sure they will have more than one by the end of our generation.

Rhydian66
02-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Inexpensive access to space is important to the human race because if we don't get off this rock we follow the dinosaurs. Which would also alleviate poverty and famine, though the diseases would survive.

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
02-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@13 February 2004 - 16:18
"The promise of inexpensive access to space is so important to the human race..."

And here I was thinking the promise of alleviating famine, disease, and poverty were so important to the human race.

Well, I certainly don&#39;t want to be in that thing when it either 1) collapses from its own weight, 2) topples over from some sort of natural disaster, or 3) is destroyed through manmade means.

:ninja:
It&#39;s going to be so much easier for the sperm to make it to the egg with out gravity, this is defiantly momentis moment for the human race. :D

Is_this_name_taken_already
02-18-2004, 02:10 AM
This entire thing was discussed some time ago in World Events I think

Cheese
02-18-2004, 02:16 AM
It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off...to me it seems like a fairly ludicrous idea there are too many things to go wrong.

But if scientists can solve these problems then who knows? It would be great to get into space before I die...

3RA1N1AC
02-18-2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese@17 February 2004 - 18:16
It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off...to me it seems like a fairly ludicrous idea there are too many things to go wrong.

But if scientists can solve these problems then who knows? It would be great to get into space before I die...
but, you know... arthur c. clarke&#39;s endorsement of the space elevator idea does lend it some credibility, since he is regarded as the "inventor" of the geo-stationary telecommunications satellite. if he&#39;s taking the time to give speeches about something like this, i&#39;d think it&#39;s an idea worth paying attention to.

kAb
02-18-2004, 03:44 AM
Does it go both ways? Seems we have a problem taking off and landing.