PDA

View Full Version : Overnet Really Slow

99shassan
02-14-2004, 06:21 PM
I am running overnet and I am firewalled. I am using Zonealarm, I allowed it access to the internet, and I allowed it to act as a server. It still told me that it is firewalled. So I opened up incoming and outgoing port (tcp): 4662, and incoming and outgoing ports (UDP): 4992 in both the trusted and internet custom options. It is still saying I am firewalled. Do I need to forward the ports on my netgear options? The reason I'm doing this is because I heard I will only be able to download from 56k'ers if I am firewalled. I need help to speed up the download.

EDIT: By the way everytime I load overnet I get a pro32.dll error.

Manny Roscoe
02-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Well, as most people would say, shut down Zone Alarm to have faster speeds.
I've done that....its not dramatically fast, but, its a little faster.....

99shassan
02-14-2004, 09:04 PM
But that'll leave me vulnerable to attacks. Isn't there a safer way?

Switeck
02-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 99shassan@14 February 2004 - 16:04
But that'll leave me vulnerable to attacks. Isn't there a safer way?
Yes, you must do port-forwarding on your netgear router or connections meant to connect to your computer reach your router and DIE because they're not allowed to be forwarded on to your computer.

Your router acts as a hardware firewall -- blocking basically ALL unsolicited incoming traffic unless told otherwise. But if your computer connects TO an outside connection, the connection is typically allowed by default. With port-forwarding, connections CAN reach your computer without your computer connecting to them first -- and it will be only those 'narrow holes' in your router which will allow anything to pass through them without you requesting them first.

99shassan
02-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Should I enter the UDP port or TCP port?

99shassan
02-15-2004, 01:50 AM
I can't seem to run it. Evertime I run it it come up with an illegal operation message, somethign to do with pro.dll. I press close on the message and it reappears a number of times. I do the same all the time and then nothing happedn. I try loading it again and again, nothing happens. From then on I can't seem to press ctrl+alt+del. It won't open the end task window.

MUSLEMAN
02-16-2004, 04:11 AM
if that was not you who i helped, go to my forums kltforums i have a walk thru in there for this :lol:

99shassan
02-16-2004, 12:36 PM
It was me. I'll go to the forums now.

99shassan
02-16-2004, 12:56 PM
I've forwarded the ports, downloaded the banner thing on overnet. But the pro.dll file error still comes up. Do I run the overnet you told me to download instead of the ones I installed? I forwarded the ports and fixed up th e firewall and overent told me I was open (which I think is a good thing :) ). But the download is still slow. Probably because there are too little sources.

MUSLEMAN
02-16-2004, 07:27 PM
emmm i didn't see your post there??

Switeck
02-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by 99shassan@16 February 2004 - 07:56
I've forwarded the ports, downloaded the banner thing on overnet. But the pro.dll file error still comes up.
Try totally uninstalling ZoneAlarm and then reinstalling. If the pro.dll file is damaged, reinstalling ZA may fix the problem.

99shassan
02-18-2004, 01:49 AM
emmm i didn't see your post there??

um, u welcomed me to the forums remember.

Try totally uninstalling ZoneAlarm and then reinstalling. If the pro.dll file is damaged, reinstalling ZA may fix the problem.

Pro.dll file is referred to the overnet program. Its a plugin, so I just took the dll file out of the plugin folder. The errors had gone but banners started appearing. So all I did was follow MuscleMans walkthrough and downloaded the "loader".

MUSLEMAN
02-18-2004, 10:40 PM
lol ya but i was looking for a post on the forum boss which i did not see so sorry, i guess its sorted now??

99shassan
02-19-2004, 03:45 AM
Yeah its sorted. Thanks

powerstick
02-24-2004, 05:48 PM
home of Overnet on File Sharing Talk Emule, Edonkey, Overnet (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showforum=57)

Make all references about Overnet in the above forum