PDA

View Full Version : Disconnected

downloadgeek
02-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Hello,

When i am on an IRC channel I can download about 100mb's and then i get disconnected. I find myself always re-connecting to the server because i get disconnected? What can i do to avoid this. Thanks

h121589
02-14-2004, 11:22 PM
do u mean like u get disconnected from the Internet or the channel

downloadgeek
02-15-2004, 01:06 AM
from the server that i am on. I can never download an entire file without interuptions. Somtimes when it disconnects me from the server i get an error: Connection Timed Out

Mercy
02-15-2004, 02:03 AM
does it happen with a particular server ? or happens with all server ?

are u firewalled ? do u have connection problems with anything else ?

downloadgeek
02-15-2004, 03:49 AM
It happens at all servers, i am using a router, i dont have connection problems with anything else, except BT which i find soooo slow.

Mercy
02-15-2004, 03:58 AM
i dont know it is related to this but did u forward ports to mIRC on ur router ?
are u firewalled ? if so what kind of firewall ?

bilko
02-18-2004, 02:01 PM
i have zone alarm, when it prompts me about if i want to allow it access to the net and i click yes do i assume its done all the forwarding i need apart from router config of course? - is it the case that all i need to worry about is router port forwarding

Mercy
02-19-2004, 03:36 AM
have u tried disabling ur firewall ?
do u have any installed scripts on ur mIRC client ?
have u tried installing a new client to a new directory ?
and are u able to resume smoothly ?

downloadgeek
02-19-2004, 01:11 PM
What i did is unplugged my router and it still does the same thing, i still get disconnected every 50-62mbs.

I have no scripts.
I Can resume smoothly.
I dont have a firewall.

Thanks

gildan2020
02-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by downloadgeek@19 February 2004 - 21:11
What i did is unplugged my router and it still does the same thing, i still get disconnected every 50-62mbs.

I have no scripts.
I Can resume smoothly.
I dont have a firewall.

Thanks
ur router also has the functions of a firewall

there're two things u can do:
1) unplug or disable the firewall feature
2) forward the port to allow smoother connection

since, u've done the first...may i ask how well does ur BT perform when that happens? (i'm gonna use it to compare the performance with MIRC)

on to the second, i'm sure others can help...but u must tell us what brand ur router is

if ur BT is still slow after all this, then it&#39;s time to have a little chat with ur ISP (they might have firewall installed on their side) <_<