PDA

View Full Version : Have Been Doing Some Research On Movies

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-05-2003, 05:41 PM
:devil: MOVIES ARE EVIL :devil:

____________________________________________________________________________________

Movies were almost four times as likely as music lyrics to depict substances of some kind (98 percent v. 27 percent, respectively).

Alcohol (93 percent) and tobacco (89 percent) were about four times more likely than illicit drugs (22 percent) to appear in movies; alcohol (17 percent) and illicit drugs (18 percent) were over six times more likely than tobacco (3 percent) to appear in songs.

Alcohol and tobacco appeared in almost all movies (93 percent and 89 percent); illicit drugs appeared in over one-fifth (22 percent). Alcohol and illicit drugs appeared in just under 20 percent of all songs; tobacco was almost non-existent (3 percent).
_____________________________________________________________________________________

o:) Parents teach your kids to stay away from places like MovieWorld and hang out In safe places like MusicWorld. o:)

J'Pol
03-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@5 March 2003 - 18:41
:devil: MOVIES ARE EVIL :devil:

____________________________________________________________________________________

Movies were almost four times as likely as music lyrics to depict substances of some kind (98 percent v. 27 percent, respectively).

Alcohol (93 percent) and tobacco (89 percent) were about four times more likely than illicit drugs (22 percent) to appear in movies; alcohol (17 percent) and illicit drugs (18 percent) were over six times more likely than tobacco (3 percent) to appear in songs.

Alcohol and tobacco appeared in almost all movies (93 percent and 89 percent); illicit drugs appeared in over one-fifth (22 percent). Alcohol and illicit drugs appeared in just under 20 percent of all songs; tobacco was almost non-existent (3 percent).
_____________________________________________________________________________________

o:) Parents teach your kids to stay away from places like MovieWorld and hang out In safe places like MusicWorld. o:)
Sorry, are you trying to say that this is a bad thing. I'm bloody sick of you Canadians, always on your high horse. No wonder you don't hear lyrics like that. Listening to Celine Dion the whole time. Have you forgotten your medication again. Don't worry the nurse is on her way. Just remember to feed the cats.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by JmiF@5 March 2003 - 13:08
I'm bloody sick of you Canadians, always on your high horse.
:D So am I.....God Bless America and Blame Canada. :D

J'Pol
03-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+5 March 2003 - 20:02--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 5 March 2003 - 20:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@5 March 2003 - 13:08
I&#39;m bloody sick of you Canadians, always on your high horse.
:D So am I.....God Bless America and Blame Canada. :D [/b][/quote]
Sorry. I thought Canadians came from Canadia.

Skillian
03-05-2003, 07:06 PM

Where&#39;s Canadia?

That&#39;s unlike you JmiF :P

J'Pol
03-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@5 March 2003 - 20:06

Where&#39;s Canadia?

That&#39;s unlike you JmiF :P
You&#39;ll be telling me next that Belgians don&#39;t come from Belgia

ShareDaddy
03-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Ok, FC. I have a 2 Questions and maybe with all of this research you have been doing you will have answers.

What percentage of the movies depicted Drugs in a GOOD light? (I am figuring on less than half for sure :zorro: )

What percentage of the Music depicted drugs in a GOOD light? (I am figuring on more than 90 percent for sure :zorro: )

I think this is what needs to be understood by parents and why we need to keep our kids off musicworld and on movie world :lol: .

DataMore
03-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Quote from FC&#39;s post on Musicworld: Musicworld Database (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=28&t=19067)

:devil: I will make Musicworld a popular place if it is the last thing I do here.....I swear I will.&nbsp; :devil:

:D Is this one of your FuNkY techniques to make Musicworld more popular? :D

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-06-2003, 12:19 AM
Reported By Julia Sommerfeld Of MSNBC..... [email protected]
__________________________________________________________________________________

Kids whose parents don’t let them watch R-rated movies are five times less likely to try cigarettes or alcohol than youngsters who are allowed to watch whatever they want, a new study found.

MEDIA IMAGES are often blamed for kids adopting risky behaviors, but study authors Madeline Dalton and Dr. James Sargent, of the pediatrics department at Dartmouth Medical College, say their large survey of New England middle-schoolers provides the first direct evidence linking movie exposure to smoking and alcohol use in children and adolescents. R-rated movies tend to have more smoking, drinking and other adult themes than most other films, according to Dalton. “It’s important for parents to hear how movies could be affecting their kids’ alcohol and tobacco use,” she said. The researchers surveyed more than 5,000 middle-school students ranging in age from 9 to 15 in 15 schools in New Hampshire and Vermont. The kids were asked about their drinking and smoking habits, movies they had seen, the types of restrictions their parents placed on their media viewing and other questions. The results were presented here Thursday and Friday at a meeting of the Society of Behavioral Medicine.

SURVEY FINDINGS

Just over 15 percent of the kids said their parents never allowed them to watch R-rated movies; 53 percent said they were allowed to watch them once in a while; and 31 percent said they had no restrictions on movies at all. Kids whose parents allowed them to watch R-rated movies once in a while were half as likely to drink or smoke as the kids with no restrictions; and kids with total restriction were one-fifth as likely, the survey found, even after controlling for other variables such as grade, school performance, whether their friends or parents smoked, and other forms of parental supervision.

“Parents often think that what they do doesn’t make a difference, but this shows it does,” said Patrick Johnson, a fellow at the Columbia University-based National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse.

Dalton found one result particularly startling: “Eighth graders with complete restriction were less likely to smoke or drink than fifth graders who were allowed to watch R movies. That’s striking. It suggests maybe they won’t try it if the parents restrict their media.” The survey also found that for every five R-rated movies the kids saw from a list of 50 popular titles, they were 1.6 times more likely to have tried smoking and 1.8 times more likely to have tried alcohol. In all, 17.5 percent had tried smoking; 23.4 percent had tried drinking alcohol. “I was surprised by the number of kids who were allowed to watch R movies at this age,” Dalton said. “In middle school, 85 percent of kids are watching some R-rated movies. These movies model all types of adult behaviors, making them inappropriate for a lot of different reasons.” Dalton said that because the kids weren’t tracked over time, she can’t say for sure that the media exposure caused them to pick up the habits. But she added that the researchers are currently doing a longitudinal study that so far appears to bear out these findings. Johnson said the study’s main limitation is that there is, as with all surveys that rely on people to self-report behaviors, a potential for bias from kids over-reporting or under-reporting behaviors. The results were part of a broad study sponsored by the National Cancer Institute.

SMOKING ON THE SILVER SCREEN

The researchers also measured tobacco’s actual screen time in movies the kids had reported seeing and found that the youngsters who had seen the most tobacco images were five times as likely to have used cigarettes as kids with the least exposure, prompting Sargent to call smoking in the movies, “toxic exposure.” The researchers noted that the association was particularly strong among kids with low self-esteem, but held true across different personality types. “Kids see a tremendous number of movies and are exposed to a tremendous amount of smoking in those movies, modeled by movie stars, people they admire,” Sargent said. “The movie industry never had to really confront this because no one had ever scientifically shown there is a link between what movies show and what kids do, and they will have to consider this.”

He reported in the January issue of the British medical journal The Lancet that among the 250 top-grossing films from 1988 to 1997, 87 percent contained scenes of tobacco use. In 95 percent of the occurrences, there was no cue that smoking was a negative behavior. While R-rated movies usually have more tobacco than other movies, on average eight occurrences per film versus four for PG movies, it isn’t factored into the ratings process, Dalton said. “Maybe that should be considered now that it’s associated with addictive behaviors,” she said. “Up until now the focus has been on violence. I don’t think people are really thinking about smoking or drinking in movies and how it may be affecting their kids.” With 430,700 American dying each year from smoking-related diseases and 4,800 kids between 11 and 17 smoking their first cigarette every day, some say the impact can’t be ignored.

“Having these hard numbers makes it real,” said Deanne Samuels, director of a teen smoking-cessation project at the Stanford University Center for Research in Disease Prevention. “It will make it easier to form some public health policy — to go to Congress, the movie industry, tobacco companies. It’s some proof that what they are doing is actually affecting smoking behaviors,” she said. A spokesperson for the Motion Picture Association of America declined to comment on the findings.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Lets stop this madness for our children.....and for our childrens children.

FC B)

Crackedup
03-06-2003, 12:36 AM
What a load of old bollocks&#33;

Jibbler
03-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@5 March 2003 - 19:19
“It will make it easier to form some public health policy — to go to Congress, the movie industry, tobacco companies. It’s some proof that what they are doing is actually affecting smoking behaviors,” she said.
Public health policy? Must everything be a moral question? When did we stop being adults? When did the right to choose become a government responsibility?--

Jibbler