PDA

View Full Version : Messenger 6.1 Restarts My Pc

KeyserH
02-17-2004, 07:44 PM
I dl'ed messenger 6.1 and everytime i open it my computer shuts down and restarts again.

I have XP and i allready uninstalled msgPlus! cause i thought it had something to do with that. wrongly.

shn
02-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Remove it. Copy and paste the command below in a run box

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

or download the file below. Youl need to right click and "save as"

Remove messenger (http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_messenger_remove.vbs) Remove Windows Messenger
© Doug Knox - 3/30/02
http://dougknox.com/

Lite
02-17-2004, 10:18 PM
shn, MSN Messenger and Windows messenger are two different apps..... If you have SP1 installed windows messenger can easily be uninstalled by using "add or remove windows componants" (or whatever its called)

KeyserH, make sure all previous versions of msn messenger are uninstalled before installing. Do you have admin privalges on your machine? Do you get any error messages?

shn
02-17-2004, 10:25 PM
My bad :P

Mik3ll
02-17-2004, 10:25 PM
It can be from your modem drivers. They sometimes restart my computer.

KeyserH
02-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Lite@17 February 2004 - 22:18
KeyserH, make sure all previous versions of msn messenger are uninstalled before installing. Do you have admin privalges on your machine? Do you get any error messages?
there is no administrator on my computer. so i guess there are no privileges.

no error messages, at startup the pc starts scanning the disks (like usual after crashing)

so, if i understand this right, i have to uninstall all messenger components on my pc and than install msg6.1?

KeyserH
02-18-2004, 07:01 PM
nope, still crashes after installing msg6.1

The other messenger (installed with XP, i guess) worked fine (now its uninstalled, dough)

i didnt have this prob with 6.1 before my motherboard got changed and i reinstalled everything.

Lite
02-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Did you format after installing the new motherboard? Did you uninstall all all the previous set of drivers?

Windows Messenger is the "messenger" program that comes bundled with XP - it sucks :angry:

Edit: Dude your sigs to big ;)

KeyserH
02-18-2004, 09:20 PM
i didnt install it all. the computerstoreguy did. so i have no idea what has been changed. I know there is a new motherboard and my c-drive was formatted. The guy installed XP.

edit: ps: i had a small version of this sig, but than the board asked to upload my sig and i used the big one. if they permit that upload ...

shn
02-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Try trillian pro or something else. I've never used it but a lot of other members here are knowledgeable with it.

KeyserH
02-19-2004, 12:40 PM
i dont need other progs. I want msg6.1 to work on my computer!!

Lite
02-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Try system restore for before this happened

KeyserH
02-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Lite@19 February 2004 - 13:08
Try system restore for before this happened
That's not possible cause it happened right from the start. (i guess there is no system-restore-info from before the C-format.)

Lite
02-19-2004, 06:38 PM
there should be a restore point, because as soon as windows first boots up one is created.

shn
02-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Lite@19 February 2004 - 12:38
there should be a restore point, because as soon as windows first boots up one is created.
That is false. windows does not set any system restore point when it starts up at all.

System restore points have to be set manually unless you have something like System Restore.exe (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/SysRestorePoint.zip) in your start folder or "Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folder which you still have to place there manually.

A system restore would be a waste of time unless they can remember exactly when they set their last system restore point and if they cant then it would cause more problems setting the computer back to an undesired state.

Msn messenger 6.1 obviously sucks as bad as all the previous versions but if you insist on screwing your box up in the process of getting it to work then go right ahead :)

Lite
02-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by shn+19 February 2004 - 21:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 19 February 2004 - 21:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lite@19 February 2004 - 12:38
That is false. windows does not set any system restore point when it starts up at all.

System restore points have to be set manually unless you have something like System Restore.exe (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/SysRestorePoint.zip) in your start folder or "Documents and Settings&#092;All Users&#092;Start Menu&#092;Programs&#092;Startup" folder which you still have to place there manually. [/b][/quote]
No, the first time ever windows boots up a restore point is mad.... "System Checpoint" :rolleyes:

shn
02-19-2004, 10:13 PM
System Restore creates restore points according to the following system events, user actions, or time intervals.

Installing an unsigned device driver&nbsp; Installing an unsigned driver causes System Restore to create a restore point.

Installing System Restore compliant applications&nbsp; Installing an application that uses Windows Installer, or Install Shield Pro version 7.0 or later, causes System Restore to create a restore point.

Unless one of thoose has occured then the restore point is pretty old.

KeyserH
02-22-2004, 11:36 PM
The last time msg6.1 worked was before the format, so every restore point is useless.