PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain The Download

kazaadude
02-19-2004, 05:53 PM
In overnet/edonkey .....

I know that the number before the slash is what it's currently downloading, and maybe the number on the right is the max of what it can download, as sometimes, they're both the same, while at others, the left is lower.

ex. Down: 15.5/15.5 or Down: 5.0/12.5

What does it mean, though, when the left is lower than the right? What's preventing it from downloading the same amount as the number on the right?

Also, sometimes I get a Down: 0/5.5 or something like that. Does that mean a 0 out of potentially 5.5 kB? Why didn't it download anything? It's been like this a lot of times today.

My connection does read Open.

Anyone know about this, or anything I might be doing to inadvertently prevent the edonkey from downloading?

Thanks. :)

Cyril
02-19-2004, 07:26 PM
I believe the number on the right is just to show you what it has peaked at in the last few minutes. If you watch it for a bit you will see downloads runing along, with speed going up and down, and as speed drops figure on right comes down too.

MUSLEMAN
02-19-2004, 09:17 PM
where on overnet do you see this??

kazaadude
02-20-2004, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. :)

It's on Edonkey, actually. Can't remember if Overnet uses the same status bar.

It's on the most bottom line, just above the windows START line.

It reads ....

{On Connected}{Razorback 2} Open Users {430080}{377996} Files {20754432}{322699177} Down: 7.5/10.5 Up: 5.5/5.5 Connections: 63/200

Have you ever tried using the hybrid E-donkey2000 which connects to both Overnet and an E-donkey server, Musleman? It might give you even more sources. Then again, I've seen your posts with your download speeds, so I guess speed isn't an issue. :)

MUSLEMAN
02-20-2004, 01:31 AM
@kazaadude overnet is better then edonkey, even the makers would tell you that themselves. :lol:

ok i see where you are talking about but now i need to know which one of those are you asking about?? the download, upload, connections or which one?? :lol:

kazaadude
02-20-2004, 04:31 AM
I was asking about the download one. No biggie, though. Just wanna know if there's what's preventing the number from the left from reaching the higher number on the right, and if there's something I could do about it. ex.

Down: 3.5/5.5

or worse

Down: 0.0/6.5

It's okay for most of the time, but sometimes, there are points where the left is 0 for quite a while, even though the right has a value. Not much of a problem, though. :)

The edonkey hybrid uses both the overnet and edonkey servers, so you're connected to both. Sometimes, if you can't connect to an e-donkey server, you would still be automatically connected to overnet. I guess the edonkey servers help when you don't have much bandwidth speed like my set-up. The problem with connecting to a donkey server is that if you try to download too many files at a time, you get kicked out of their server, as I've found out the hard way, hehe. :D

MUSLEMAN
02-20-2004, 05:03 AM
This displays the current upload and download speeds (numbers to the left of the slash), and the client's best guess on your current maximum speeds in both directions (numbers to the right of the slash) :lol: :lol: :lol:

kazaadude
02-23-2004, 06:11 AM
Thanks man. :)

I also found this link recently, that gives some general explanations for each part of the screen. For anyone who needs it .....

http://therookie.dyndns.org/Overnet/help/Help/General

MUSLEMAN
02-23-2004, 06:52 AM
lol dude if you want a good explaination of overnet and all its parts just visit kltforums i got some great visuals there :lol: just go here if you have not yet (http://ktechsupport.clicdev.com/f/index.php?act=idx) :lol: :lol:

Vargas
02-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@20 February 2004 - 01:31
@kazaadude overnet is better then edonkey, even the makers would tell you that themselves. :lol:
the ONLY difference is the GUI
they both connect to the same networks (ON without the option to disconnect, and ed2k with the option to disconnect) and have the same options.

MUSLEMAN
02-23-2004, 07:21 AM
but what about this:

Both eDonkey2000 and Overnet use the same transfer protocol so files can be shared between them. The main difference between them is the way in which they publish and find files and sources for files.

eDonkey2000 publishes to servers that can be set up by anyone. Once the network reaches a certain size these servers become a bottle neck to the performance. Users can no longer search the entire network for things they are interested in. And the servers become more and more bogged down.

Overnet searches and publishes in a completely decentralized way. It works such that when you search you are searching all users of the network. Overnet can scale to millions of concurrent users with no loss of performance. It fixes the problems with the eDonkey2000 network. more info

The version of eDonkey2000 that we have available for download publishes to both donkey servers and to the Overnet network. It is meant to ease the transition from the older eDonkey2000 network to the newer and superior Overnet network. The Overnet client is simpler to use and just as effective as the eDonkey2000 client so we suggest you use it

Vargas
02-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@23 February 2004 - 07:21
but what about this:

Both eDonkey2000 and Overnet use the same transfer protocol so files can be shared between them. The main difference between them is the way in which they publish and find files and sources for files.

eDonkey2000 publishes to servers that can be set up by anyone. Once the network reaches a certain size these servers become a bottle neck to the performance. Users can no longer search the entire network for things they are interested in. And the servers become more and more bogged down.

Overnet searches and publishes in a completely decentralized way. It works such that when you search you are searching all users of the network. Overnet can scale to millions of concurrent users with no loss of performance. It fixes the problems with the eDonkey2000 network. more info

The version of eDonkey2000 that we have available for download publishes to both donkey servers and to the Overnet network. It is meant to ease the transition from the older eDonkey2000 network to the newer and superior Overnet network. The Overnet client is simpler to use and just as effective as the eDonkey2000 client so we suggest you use it
what about it?

sure the NETWORKS overnet and ed2k are different, but the clients are the same.

i DARE you to tell me ONE thing different between the clients

MUSLEMAN
02-23-2004, 07:32 AM
lol are you talking about the client themselves and not how they work?? because if not its in my post :lol:

Vargas
02-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@23 February 2004 - 07:32
lol are you talking about the client themselves and not how they work?? because if not its in my post :lol:
im talking about the clients AND how they operate
theyre the same
the overnet and ed2k protocols are different
but both clients are the same, in as much as how they both connect to both networks with the exact same options.

so when someone sez they use ed2k and you say overnet is better. youre wrong :lol:

MUSLEMAN
02-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@23 February 2004 - 03:21
first of all i'm not saying its the developers of edonkey and overnt that are saying it and suggesting it.

second when you get the developer to say he was wrong i will say i was wrong :lol:

now simpler to me means better, it means less hassle.

also edonkey is sever based

overnet is not server based

Vargas
02-23-2004, 12:50 PM
:blink: :swear: :frusty:

MUSLEMAN
02-23-2004, 12:52 PM
ok boss if simpler is not easier for then :frusty: :frusty:

thisiswhoweare
02-23-2004, 01:08 PM
:D @MM,
simpler does not mean better :P
simpler is usually easier, but not if its to simple.

MUSLEMAN
02-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@23 February 2004 - 09:08
:D @MM,
simpler does not mean better :P
simpler is usually easier, but not if its to simple.
:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: in this case the clients are almost the same and overnet is simpler to use thus for a better client for noobs or anyone.

again take it up with the builder :lol: