PDA

View Full Version : Linux No Dhcp

ultimatejester
02-19-2004, 11:23 PM
I have a compaq presario laptop,currently running Mandrake 9.2.The onboard nic is a National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller.It is correctly recognized and the natsemi module is loaded when I boot however,I'm unable to get an ip through dhcp.

Any ideas why.

Thnx

LSA
02-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Is it detecting your DHCP server?

shn
02-19-2004, 11:53 PM
That has happen to me in Mandrake Move as well. I kept going into the control center to setup my connection and it still would not connect. I think I ended up having to restart my router or if you dont have one your modem. That might not work as well. I willl try and remember what I did to get it working its been a month or since I used mandrake move. It took some tinkering with to get it to work.

ultimatejester
02-20-2004, 01:02 AM
I have tried restaring my modem but that doesnt work. Configuring it doesnt help either but it freezes my computer every time i try to change the nic settings.

shn
02-20-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by ultimatejester@19 February 2004 - 19:02
I have tried restaring my modem but that doesnt work. Configuring it doesnt help either but it freezes my computer every time i try to change the nic settings.
Its freezing because its trying to find your dhcp server and the system kinda gets laggy in the process.

I remember now how I fixed mine. I deleted all current network configurations through the control panel and setup a new one, then I made sure I was on the same subnet as my dhcp server. Sometimes you can be on a subnet of 255.255.0.0 when you really should be on a subnet of 255.0.0.0 Most of the times you can still get connected with a different subnet mask but with Mandrake Move my settings had to be "exactly" the same as my dhcp server. restart the network and the pc and see if that works :)

Btw, dont use my subnet ranges above as your will differ

ultimatejester
02-20-2004, 01:59 AM
I run Mandrake from the cd. How would i delete the configuration files. As you know i am a linux noob so sorry. :D

shn
02-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by ultimatejester@19 February 2004 - 19:59
I run Mandrake from the cd. How would i delete the configuration files. As you know i am a linux noob so sorry. :D
I meant remove the connections. It doesnt delete anything. Select the option to enter a new connection, follow the steps I think a wizard comes. Youll need to edit thoose more specifically as well. It may even ask you some gateway information. After that remove the old profile you had as it will conflict with your new one.

All of this is to be done from the Mandrake Control panel under the network section

ultimatejester
02-20-2004, 02:58 AM
Ok great. I got it. But now i cant open Konqueror of any other program not even konsole.