PDA

View Full Version : Pc Dont Work Properly... Virus? Help Pls!

musicmaster
02-20-2004, 09:26 PM
I was using soulseek as I normally would last night... and left a text doc open along with the slsk app... and went to bed. When I woke up this morning.... just looked at the status of my dls and I noticed that the txt doc I left open had a number of instances of it running. I clicked on one of them... and the window started scrolling... but no text in it, and there was lots before. I finally got all of those windows closed.... and slsk also shut down randomly. I thought it might be a bug or something... so I attempted to shut down my pc, by start button, turn off computer and shut down sequence. I clicked on start then shut down computer.... and before the three options of "stand by, turn off and restart" popped up... the computer just went right into standby mode. I then attempted to shut it down manually with the power button. I rebooted, and tried to shut down using the normal procedure again... and the same thing happened... it just went into standby. Also, I noticed that when the computer was running, it wasnt opening applications, documents and files properly... so I am guessing I have a virus. I have not installed virus protection as of yet... and need to know first of all if it is possible that this is a virus, and secondly can I do anything about it now, or is it too late?

My specs are as follows:

Windows XP Pro Pentium 3 733 mhz 256 ram

Any and lots of responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

muchspl2
02-20-2004, 09:50 PM
why would you not have a AV running at all times
you did this to yourself and your the one to blame, now that you understand how you fucked up
try getting http://www.grisoft.com if you can't install it go here and run house call http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

you also need a good firewall, I would suggest zone-alarm or zygate

CoolMac
02-20-2004, 10:16 PM
having internet without a good antivirus is like suicide

fkdup74
02-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by musicmaster@20 February 2004 - 13:26
I have not installed virus protection as of yet...
:ph34r: :wacko:
and theres been a slsk bug goin around the last week or so....
theres no telling wtf your pc has....
get to much's link ASAP, no shit

Samurai
02-20-2004, 10:54 PM
It still amazes me to this day why people are so relaxed about installing AV software as well as a decent firewall...

They are the first 2 pieces of software I install when I first load up a new/formatted PC.

BigBank_Hank
02-20-2004, 10:58 PM
I must admit I to learned this lesson the hard way. I now swear by my Norton Internet Security and Anti-virus.

ck-uk
02-20-2004, 11:15 PM
I mate check your firewall and for trojans,these are the ones that carry ppl with them messing about with your pc,with spyware removers to if you dont already have them. :)

You could also tri norton windoctor to try fix some of your windows problems if you're not to sure :)

musicmaster
02-20-2004, 11:41 PM
I am not blaming anyone for anything, wow what responses. I just said I had a problem and wondered if anyone new. I have Ad-aware and Spybot, ... I also have Norton Systemworks, although the one I have doesnt seem to boot properly. Anyway, its on my C: drive where I have only my appz which are replacable, but its a pain. Anyway, thanks for the links I hope it works.... if not oh well... I will have the av next time I format.

Cheers.

CoolMac
02-20-2004, 11:51 PM
no shit
i don't surf at all without having the proper security :ph34r:

Legolas
02-21-2004, 01:16 AM
:rolleyes: <_< :lol: :D :) B) :unsure: :blink: :ph34r: :( :angry: :music1: :smilie4: :01: :helpsmile: :frusty: reinstall windows :D :ghostface:

Wolfmight
02-21-2004, 02:01 AM
a real tip:

The truth is, if you didnt start fresh with a good Antivirus and Firewall (fully updated).. then you might not even have a chance. Alot of viruses target and prevent Antivirus software from being installed... it&#39;s a crewl world out there, but you can lower your chances with protection. (Sort of like sex and a condom... you might even get aids without the condom..) :(

I suggest you back up your most valued data to a cd. (think: Documents, etc). Even if the virus implants inself on the cd, you are safe, because with a fresh start and fully protected os with an Av and Firewall.. you will kill that infection on the cd.

Now if curruption has gotten some of the data... You can actually still try by useing recovery software on a fresh and protected o/s.

Computers annoy some, while others outsmart them. :smilie4:

peat moss
02-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Ya I know crappy &#33; If you get it fixed and I hope you do turn off that stupid System Restore too most useless program when it comes to virus issuses :rolleyes:

h1
02-21-2004, 02:59 AM
FFS, you&#39;ve proven your point now give the guy a break.

musicmaster
02-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Yes FFS, but, nonetheles... you are all still funny and correct. I thought I was immune, because nothing happened. I had NSW installed before I formatted, and figured I could go without it, and have done so for a while. Like I said, nothing major on this drive except the OS and some other appz, and some tunes.... which I ripped myself. Anyways, thanks for the help, we shall see what becomes of it.

Later. :D

peat moss
02-21-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by musicmaster@20 February 2004 - 15:41
I am not blaming anyone for anything, wow what responses. I just said I had a problem and wondered if anyone new. I have Ad-aware and Spybot, ... I also have Norton Systemworks, although the one I have doesnt seem to boot properly. Anyway, its on my C: drive where I have only my appz which are replacable, but its a pain. Anyway, thanks for the links I hope it works.... if not oh well... I will have the av next time I format.

Cheers.
I like system works Ya one of the few , just set it up proberly next time it&#39;s a great program.Back up, format, reinstall move on, and learn B)

Wolfmight
02-21-2004, 04:02 AM
another good tip:
System restore is evil, dont ever use it.

peat moss
02-21-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@20 February 2004 - 20:02
another good tip:
System restore is evil, dont ever use it.
NO Shit Sherlock did you not read the whole post ? B)

edit Sorry Wolf after reading looks like a bad e-mail joke . Know you were just trying to help .Sorry again :)